Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan Fathom Event September 10 and 13th

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Wayne_j, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Osato

Osato Producer

I loved seeing it in the theater again. I agree that picture and sound at home seem better to me. However I wanted that big screen appearance again! So it was all worth it. Loved it! When is the 3 screening?

So is genesis regula? I always assumed so. Have I been wrong for 35 years??

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    That's been my assumption as well all this time. That's the only planetoid we saw in the area so what else could it be?

Osato likes this.
  3. Josh Steinberg

Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    For 3, I know it's not strictly kosher but I found a download online of an HD scan someone did of a 35mm print. It's not as clean as the BD but it has the feeling of watching the movie in a theater back in the day. I'm generally glad for the quality that BD brings but the official disc for 3 is a little too "digital video" looking for my tastes. This print scan is a little too scratchy and faded in the other direction (so kinda the opposite of the BD), but it makes for a fun contrast. I should watch that soon.

Osato and Worth like this.
  4. 24 Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I'm traveling and don't have access to my disc library. I am curious to know if the TMP Director's Edition called itself that on the in-movie title. I'm also curious to know if the original DVD release of The Wrath of Khan Director's Edition identified itself as such on the in-movie title.

I never thought it was Regula. How could it be? Both ships go flying into the Mutara Nebula. Regula is left behind and nowhere around. I always assumed Genesis was created from matter in the nebula.

I winder if the novelization definitively answers this puzzle?

Here's what the ST Wiki says:

Starfleet later conducted an analysis that concluded that the planet was unstable and died because of the nature in which the device was used. The device was meant to explode on the surface of a dead planet - and the resulting Genesis Wave would have been able to concentrate on rebuilding the planet. Starfleet concluded that if the Genesis device had been used in its intended manner that even though protomatter was used the planet would have been quite stable.

However, the prototype exploded on board a starship, which was in a nebula of diffuse and highly charged gaseous particles. Not only did the Genesis Device have to create the planet itself, but the rest of the star system as well, complete with a G-type star. After building a star system, the Genesis Wave did not have sufficient energy to complete the building of the Genesis Planet. Also, the device created nearby gas giants, which created additional gravitational stress on the planet. (TNG novel: The Genesis Wave, Book 2)

Bob_S. and Osato like this.
  5. Josh Steinberg

Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Neither of them are identified that way onscreen in the opening titles. The director's edition of TMP have extra credits after the film and the "director's edition" credit appears there.

I've seen these too many times...

Osato and Carabimero like this.
  6. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Osato likes this.
  7. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Thanks for the screen caps.

More than one of the people I talked to in the theater after the screening had no idea what they had just watched wasn't the original version of the movie.

Osato likes this.
  8. Osato

Osato Producer

Hopefully new prints are struck soon.
    I would gladly rebuy the series with new 4k restored prints.
    I think new prints will eventually happen for uhd blu ray...

Which will open up a can of worms on the motion picture..
    Maybe for its 40th in 2019?

KPmusmag and Carabimero like this.
  9. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Screenwriter

Wayne
    As soon as I heard that Mantz was the person interviewing Shatner I knew that he would mention the release date of the movie at least once and call the movie "The Citizen Kane of Star Trek movies."

Osato likes this.
  10. Josh Steinberg

Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I still can't believe that Mantz interrupted Shatner to fact check him on a story he told as being from 1984, not 1982. Nevermind that the question Mantz asked was open-ended enough that it seemed quite easy to believe that Shatner thought he was being asked about overall memories and not specifically 1982 memories. Nevermind that the year of the story made no difference to the impact of hearing it. It just struck me as... for lack of a better word... a dick movie. Like, the way Mantz behaved is exactly the reason Shatner did the "Get a life" skit on SNL in the first place.

And when Mantz wasn't talking over Shatner or correcting him on inconsequential details, he was spending as much time talking about himself. How old Mantz was when he first saw TWOK. How long Mantz has liked Trek. What Mantz thinks of Star Trek. It got so tiring, so quickly. Much like the awful moderator at the Star Trek 50th Anniversary Convention I attended last summer in NYC, this guy seemed incapable of getting out of the way and just letting it be about Shatner and TWOK. I can guarantee that no one bought a ticket to this presentation to hear what Scott Mantz had to say, but no one has told Mantz that.

KPmusmag likes this.
  11. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Screenwriter

Wayne
    Unfortunately I have seen enough Mantz that I wasn't outraged by the interview, it was pretty much what I expected.

Osato likes this.
  12. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

So does Aliens.

13. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    My wife and I saw the movie on Wednesday. I thought two things: 1) it seemed darker (as in illumination) than it should be. My wife did not; 2) It seemed a bit fuzzy at times.

So I'm wondering has my expectation a movie's presentation been altered by modern projection techniques and advanced home theater presentations on smaller screen. Modern movies are sharper and even an older movie looks sharper than what I saw Wednesday.

The extras on the latest blu ray talk about the pecs on Ricardo being real. No mention is made of his legs.

Osato and Josh Steinberg like this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    That was my experience of the projection as well.

The 4K master was shown at the Trek convention in NYC last year and didn't have those issues. Something went wrong on the way to the theaters for this Fathom event, I think; the actual digital master looks great (as you can see on the current BD release).

Johnny Angell and Osato like this.
  15. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    I too noticed that some scenes looked like it went a little soft. While others were pin sharp.

Osato likes this.
  16. Osato

Osato Producer

I noticed this as well.

17. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    The sharpest scenes were the facial closeups. Those looked better. This is not the first Fathom event I've been disappointed with.

18. Osato

Osato Producer

I really wanted to see the roger Moore double feature. If I'm recalling that one from a review I read I think there was softness in some parts of the films too.

19. Osato

Osato Producer

20. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Screenwriter

Wayne
    In related matters I went to the Fathom showing of E.T. today. Image quality was outstanding but the theater for whatever reason decided to show it in scope instead of the Flat OAR. I complained to the employees and they fixed it but after a few minutes they went back to scope.

Osato likes this.