What's new

Star Trek II Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I am looking forward to the Special Edition of Star Trek II. Besides the ABC footage does any one have any ideas as to what the content of the film will consist of? I've read that Shatner & Nimoy are contracted for doing commentaries for the films. Will they be involved for behind the scenes documentaries as well?

Blu

Screenwriter
This is from Shatner's website.

Q: Mr. Shatner, I just read that you will be providing commentary for future releases of "Star Trek" movie DVDs. Any one in particular that you are looking forward to? Doug

WS: To me, obviously, the most interesting, most fascinating, best director, best actor, most elegantly written and directed is Star Trek V.

So he doesn't deny that he isn't doing ST2 commentary at all. Take it for what its worth.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Sometimes I can't tell when Bill Shatner is being playfully facetious or just plain egotistical.

Blu

Screenwriter
Shatner is Shatner, he is pompous, arrogant, conceited, AND clueless ALL at the same time and I will never forgive him for butchering Freebird!!!!!!

GGGGRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Some songs you just DO NOT MESS with and Freebird is one of them!!!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I just hope they include the Space Seed episode as an extra.
Absolutely. Exactly what I want to see too. What better companion extra to the film could there be than the show that introduced the Khan character in the first place. Not all of us purchased the ST:TOS collection, but many would want this.

Similarly, for ST:TNG, when they get around to doing a SE of First Contact I hope they include The Borg episodes.

Paramount: Make it happen.

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
Whatt is the ABC footage? I heard there was extra footage, but I don't know what the details are.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
I have to think that Shatner was trying to be funny there...

Even he was upset that Paramount dropped the budget of ST V right before principle photography began... I've also heard that he would like a shot at a DC to try and fix that mess of a film (like it would help!)

He seems to have a sense of humor about himself and I would still have to say that his comments weren't meant seriously.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think we can all agree on one thing about Shatner: while he certainly was Captain Kirk as we knew it, he is a bad actor. ;)

Kevin J Willis

Stunt Coordinator
This will be one DVD that i will buy when it comes out. I'm not a major trekkie at all but this was one of the first films i ever saw at a theater, so this will bring back memories.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
(do I have to say there are spoilers ahead?)

Eric, the most interesting extra footage that aired on ABC is probably the extended scene when Kirk inspects Engineering and talks to the young ensign (who later dies in Sick Bay after asking Kirk "Is the word given, Admiral?"). The extended scene reveals that he is Scotty's nephew. This puts Scotty's emotions into better context.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious to see if they use a new transfer. I wonder how much better it can look because the current version is pretty darn good, especially for its age.

It would make more sense to release an extended version since the original version is already out.

Bob Partovi

Stunt Coordinator
shatner rides horses where someone i know did when he was a kid. once he told him, after asking for his autograph, for $50.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Well, I think we can all agree on one thing about Shatner: while he certainly was Captain Kirk as we knew it, he is a bad actor.
He's not any worse than Keanu Reeves, and at least Shatner seems awake most of the time :)
Seriously, I like Shatner a lot. I admit in the past he could be a little cocky, but he's gone to great lengths to try to make up for that. People who've worked with him recently have had very kind things to say about him.
As far as his acting ability, at least he comes by his ham-handedness honestly. Believe it or not, he is a classically trained Shakespearean actor.
For a recent example of his good sportsmanship, check out the movie Free Enterprise. It's pretty funny, actually.

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
After reading Captain Quirk: the Unauthorized Biography of William Shatner by Dennis William, I have grown to like and respect Shatner a helluva lot more than previously. I know there were intra-cast conflicts and jealousies, but Shatner IS Kirk and has some authority thereby in the ST franchise. As David Niven admitted with respect to all actors: "It is about ego. Without ego, it doesn't work."

Shatner paid for his "arrogance" many times in his life, including post TV Trek & divorce living in the back of his pickup truck.

I prefer him to any other starship captain!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Neil,
The current Star Trek II is in 5.1. It sounds pretty good.
In regards to Shatner, I like him too. I also like how he has ripped on himself over the years for his acting.
Here's a good question for you. Who was worse: Mark Hamill or William Shatner? Star Wars is one of my favorites, but that scene in Empire where Luke is crying and screaming when Vader told him he was his father is just plain bad acting. I remember certain scenes in Star Trek episodes where Shatner got emotional and it just didn't work.
Still, William Shatner is Captain Kirk and Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker. :)

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
This is from Shatner's website.

Q: Mr. Shatner, I just read that you will be providing commentary for future releases of "Star Trek" movie DVDs. Any one in particular that you are looking forward to? Doug

WS: To me, obviously, the most interesting, most fascinating, best director, best actor, most elegantly written and directed is Star Trek V.

Ummm, I didn't know shatner HAD a website. Would you mind providing a link? I mean, Shatner didn't REALLY say that, did he?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks