What's new

Star Trek II SE due later in 2002. We knew this was coming. :-) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Since they let Robert Wise fix his movie, I'm sure they'll let Nick Meyer correct his mistake and re-insert the Peter Preston footage. He always said that he never should have removed it. Hopefully they'll also clean up those nasty garbage mattes (VERY noticeable on current DVD)
Jeff Kleist

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Peter Preston was the injured actor that Scotty carried to the bridge. In the missing scenes you find out that the reason Scotty is so upset is that the cadet is Scotty's nephew. You also notice the missing scene when Scotty and McCoy are talking in sickbay. In the final version their conversation seems chopped.

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't the Peter Preston footage make it onto a TV version? What else was deleted?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I knew I should have waited! Oh well, I guess I'll be picking this up...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
that's coolio!!! I cant wait for an SE of this movie!
Me, either. My wife just commented on the fact that I am such a big Trek fan, but don't have any of the DVD's. Well, HTF scuttlebutt told me to wait and now my patience will be rewarded.
(Second quarter 2002 is just around the corner, second quarter 2002 is just around the corner, second quarter 2002 is just around the corner...) :)

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
I just hope the FRIDAY THE 13TH movies recieve this treatment.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
Thank you WILL K for the banner

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I am glad I waited and didn't buy any of the Star Trek Films on DVD. From what I have heard, I don't know how true this is so take it with a grain of salt. But Paramount plans to re distribute all the Star Trek Films on DVD as Special Editions. And that they will come out in order so Nov being the first special edition and summer 2002 being the second special edition maybe this rumor is true.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I used to watch a Beta tape of this movie that we had recorded from TV all the time. Not only is there extra footage, but several voice dubs are noticeably different.
Glad I have held out on buying Trek DVDs.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I will buy special editions of these and have no regrets about having bought the many of the current versions. They have given me a great way to see these films while waiting for the special editions that we knew were all but inevitable even when First Contact was released.
Oh what a happy day it will be to finally have Star Trek VI in OAR with a new 16x9 transfer. I have always wondered what was up with the 2:1 ratio on that.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.
[Edited last by AaronMK on October 01, 2001 at 06:04 PM]

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The other additional scenes from Star Trek 2 are very cool to see, but don't really add to the story, except the Peter Preston scene. I heard a nasty rumour that the Peter Preton scene could have been removed from the sickbay section is that Doohan's performance was perhap's over the top. After Peter Preston dies, McCoy expresses his condolences to Scotty and Scotty's reaction was what was cut out. I thought it was a good performance and should have been left in.
Another additional scene missing is Kirk first meeting Preston in Engineering during Kirk's tour. He makes a comment to Kirk which Scotty stops.
The next cut scene is interesting, where an extension of McCoy and Spock arguing over the moral issue of Genesis in Kirk's quarters after reviewing the Genesis proposal from Carol Marcus. It harks back to the series days when they would go at it with each other.
There is a missing scene in sickbay after Preston dies and Kirk and McCoy wonder how Khan knew about Genesis. Interesting to see, but not vital to the story. More screen time for DeForest Kelley though.
Finally, if my memory is still whole, there is a very short cut showing Spock decending down or up a Jeffires Tube on his way to Engineering to fix the warp drive and take his "Kobiyahi Maru Test". It was very short and the music was interupted by the insertion of the scene. Not an important insertion if you ask me.
So the extra scenes are interesting, the only real loss is the Peter Preston backstory. It is interesting for Scotty fans as it adds to his character. If I forgot something, I'm sure someone will remind me!
Can't wait to see the DVD too.
Nelson

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'll gladly retire my bare bones version to get a special edition. I'm willing to bet that since Paramount is reissuing this one, they will reissue the rest of the series.
I'm looking forward to it. Star Trek is a wonderful series and deserves special edition treatment.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

Ryan_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have this TV version that you guys talk about and do recall some addition, especially on Scotty and his nephew (dunno if that was cleared up in the theatrical). I never realised this NTSC TV dubbing was anything special.

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
Preston calls Kirk "Blind as a Tiberian bat", if I remember correctly. Also, the turbolift scene, is completely different. It gives close-ups of Kirk and Saavik, instead of the long shot on the DVD version.
------------------
Hit pay-dirt with KDRT!
Petition FOX and score The Adventures of Ford Fairlane on DVD!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/001933.html

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
If all of these turn out to be new transfers, I 'll buy them all.
I still can't wait for TMP in November.
------------------
We are the citizens of the United States of America. Resistance is futile. We CANNOT be stopped so don't bother trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks