1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek II & III special edition specs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Osato, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Osato

Osato Producer

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
    Has anyone heard what the extras / features for Star Trek II and III will be? I know Shatner and Nimoy will be on the commentaries. How about Director Nick Meyer for II? Looking forward to both of these releases.

2. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I'm glad these discs are being worked on while the actors and director are still alive! Because Shatner and Nimoy are getting up there, with DeForest Kelley already dead.

I can't wait for the SE's of The Voyage Home (my favorite), The Undiscovered Country, and First Contact. Also, hopefully, the first release of Nemesis will be feature packed.

THe Trek discs are ones I'll gladly replace, even though I have only watched a few of them (Generations, Final Frontier) but once. With TNG and the II and III SE's coming this year, it is a great time to be a Trek fan. BUt not a great time to be a Trek fan's credit card.

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

PLEASE post a question mark in your title when asking a question....it appears as if you HAVE information and are going to tell us the specs. [​IMG]
    With that being said, I am very interested if any kind of extended cut will be on the discs since we already have the standard versions.

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I think Digital Bits said a awhile back that SHatner and nimoy had recorded commentaries for all the movies, or where contracted to do so. Lets hope they get this done ASAP, because as was said, they ARE getting up in years.

How many commentaries can they fit in one disc? IT would be great if they could have two or three extras. One with the co-stars, Nicholls, Doohan, Takei, etc, and one with the producer/writer/director...

As far as extras, I'd like to see more behind the scenes stuff. Too bad they didn't do what the Ep 1 people did, and have some guy with a camera follow everyone around. That would be REALLY neat to see on a Star Trek title..

5. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

6. Ryan_M_M

Ryan_M_M Stunt Coordinator

I have an extended version of Star Trek II taped from TV. Will this be on the DVD?

7. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

8. Hector de leon

Hello all, I have yet to buy any Star Trek DVD's and plan on starting with TNG Season 1. Now, as for the movies, I was going to buy the complete Star Trek movie set out there, but now that there making movie two a "special edition" should I just buy each movie one by one, continue waiting to see if the next release is getting the special treatment?

thanx in advanced

9. Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner Stunt Coordinator

From several sources, Paramount is going to work their way up from Star Trek 1 and release SE's of all the movies. From the release rumors so far, it looks like one every six months.
    As for the source on Nimoy and Shatner recording commentaries, www.trekweb.com had a quote from Shatner at a convention.

10. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Hector,

I would defintely wait (as I'm doing) to see what each special edition Star Trek movie will contain. I would only buy the first movie right now.

I have Wrath of Khan and Voyage Home (I bought these a long time ago) and the transfers are decent, but I'm curious to see if the new ones will be better. Of course, they will have extras.

11. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

dog it!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]
    i just bought khan and undiscovered country!

12. NickT

NickT Stunt Coordinator

Nick
    I caught a few minutes of Ster Trek II tonight on TNN and it got me to thinking about getting the dvd. I think I'll give it a few months now and see how the special edition is. I'm happy with the Star Trek:TMP dvd even with the editing that it has and I'm sure the TWoK special edition will be even better.

13. Norm Lalonde

Norm Lalonde Stunt Coordinator

I have no idea what extras will be on these new SE's, but I'll skip them unless the video and audio are improved. I will replace Final Frontier, Undiscovered Country and Generations to get the new anamorphic widescreen transfers.

I'm not big on extras and thus will keep the old versions unless someone convinces me the quality has been improved.

Norm

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The more I think about it, I will be very surprised if the transfer will look any better on Wrath of Khan SE. The image (despite a slight reddish push) looks similar to the first movie, overall. I'm not sure if the reddish tendency was intended.

15. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I finally bought Wrath of Khan last summer, and a few days later, I found out they were working on a special edition. I knew it was coming, too; just hadn't heard anything official until then.

At any rate, if TMP is any indication, I'm sure all these will be great. The main thing I would hope for would be a corrected aspect ratio on Undiscovered Country (which, if they do a new anamorphic transfer, shouldn't be a problem), and a director's cut of Final Frontier. I don't know how likely that is, but I think most of the lost scenes were actually filmed; maybe some effects work would need to be done. I agree that it's one of the weaker entries in the series, but I don't think it was completely Shatner's (as director, at least) fault, because he was forced to cut a substantial amount of footage that might have made everything make a bit more sense. If nothing else a DC would be a surefire way to sell more copies of the movie.

In any case, greatly looking forward to the SEs.