What's new

Star Trek II DVD CE Specs????? (1 Viewer)

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Glad I didn't buy the original disc. The extended cut is perfect, I don't understand why it was cut, 6 minutes is not much.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Alternate scene variations in WOK, according to IMDB:

Network TV version features additional footage not included in theatrical release, including some dialog between Spock and Saavik, where Spock talks about the "human ego."

*In the TV version, there are also several scenes that represent alternate takes of scenes present in the theatrical/video version. For example, in the scene on Regula I in which the scientists are debating why the Reliant is coming to take the Genesis project, Kirk's son says, "scientists have always been pawns of the military." Comparison of the two versions makes it clear that they are different takes - he places emphasis on different words, and one scene is slightly longer.

*In the network TV version, during the sickbay scene where the young Ensign dies, we find out that the Ensign is actually Scotty's nephew, thus explaining Scotty's emotional state. In the theatrical version the same scene is shorter, leaving out any mention of who the Ensign is and why Scotty is so upset.

*In one of the early US TV versions, there is a scene prior to the Enterprise setting out when Kirk is inspecting Engineering. Kirk was teasing Scotty's nephew about being so young. The Ensign ducks out of formation and hands Kirk a "left handed spanner."

*There is a short scene missing in the Network TV version when Kirk is in a shuttle, piloted by Sulu, right before docking with the Enterprise. Kirk makes some glib remark about "having (Sulu) at the helm for three weeks...I don't think these kids can steer"; Sulu responds, "Well I'm delighted." But in the theatrical release, Sulu goes on to say, "Well I'm delighted, anytime to be aboard the Enterprise is a treat."

*Another missing scene in the TV version takes place during Kirk's inspection of Engineering. Kirk stands near to Scotty's nephew. Seconds tick by until finally the young midshipman can no longer contain his pride about the state of Engineering and says, "I'm sure you'll find everything is in ship shape, Capt'n". "Oh do you?" Kirk reponds incredulously. "Do you have any idea, midshipman Preston, of the ribbing I get in the officer's mess about the Enterprise, and that it's nothing more than a flying garbage heap?" Stammering, the boy responds, "Oh no sir, the Enterprise is the finest ship in the fleet." At this point Kirk and Scotty have already locked glances and are smiling about their inside joke.

*Another alternate take in the TV version is a scene featuring Kirk and an off-duty Saavik talking in a lift. The TV version makes use of close-ups not present in the theatrical release. In addition, Kirstie Alley plays the scene more seductively.

*The network version has Kirk's question to McCoy, "It's charming... what is it?" and McCoy replies, "They're for your eyes. For most patients..."

*After the death of Preston in sickbay, there is a short scene between Kirk and McCoy. Kirk asks McCoy if he's ok, and McCoy says yes and proceeds to thank Kirk for getting them away from Khan, to which Kirk replies that they're only alive because he knows more about starships than Khan does.

*Additional dialogue featuring David Marcus and Saavik was shot for the film's epilogue on the bridge, but this was cut.

*Original UK Video was cut and released as PG. Only later was the video reissued uncut as a 15 Cert. One of the scenes cut from the first release was the 'bug' coming out of Chekov's ear.

*Original film prints did not include the "II" in the title.

*All versions shown on the Sci-Fi Channel,TBS and TNT, and syndicated television versions are re-edited versions of the theatrical version, and not of the ABC-TV version.

*Ane additional scene found only in the ABC-TV version: After returning to the Enterprise from Regula, Kirk and Spock are climbing a ladder in an access tunnel. Kirk proudly proclaims, "That young man with us? [referring to David Marcus] He's my son!" To which Spock quite wearily offers his token response, "Fascinating."

*The Kobayashi Maru simulator computer has more dialogue in the ABC version.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I do hope there is a color correction with the new cut's transfer. The original release has a slight reddish-brownish tint that doesn't seem intended. Overall, the film looks pretty good though.

As for why the deleted footage was cut, it was done by the order of the film's Producer, Harve Bennett and reinstated for the ABC television broadcasts by Meyer. Meyer and Bennett had a very prickly professional relationship during the filming of "Wrath Of Khan" and it carried over to the uncredited rewrite Meyer did for "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home". It wasn't until Leonard Nimoy, who had a good relationship with Meyer, became Executive Producer for "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country"(which was the actual original title for "Wrath Of Khan") that Meyer was given the opportunity to do a "Star Trek" movie without creative restraints by the Producer.:alien:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.