Star Trek: Generations DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I was going to pick it up tonight at Barnes & Noble (since it's my favorite of the Star Trek films and I have a few of the others already). However, B&N's own annoying barcode sticker (why don't they use the one that's provided?!) was covering up the most IMPORTANT information. So, I come to ask you guys: Is Star Trek Generations anamorphic?
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

2. John Wielgosz

John Wielgosz Stunt Coordinator

Afraid not, it was released during Paramount's non-anamorphic phase, along with Treks VI and V.

3. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Argh. [​IMG]
    EDIT: Will the brand-new Star Trek films box set (with Star Trek: Generations) contain a brand-new anamorphic version of STG?
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!
    [Edited last by Brian Harnish on November 03, 2001 at 01:59 AM]

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I'll verify what Colin told you.
    The guys at Paramount took all the existing Star Trek DVD's and shoved them into a box to make the box set. Which is no slam to Paramount...that's the way it normally works.
    Not just for DVD's, either...this marketing concept applies to books, software, and to a lesser extent music (a music box set CAN be existing albums stuck together in a box, like Queen's "Crown Jewels", but more often is an entirely new set of works instead...but DVD rarely, if ever, does that). [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

6. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

The Star Trek:Generations DVD represents Paramount's worse effort ever on a Trek title.
    The transfer is non-anamorphic, but worse than that, it appears "edgy". The DD 5.1 audio is just slightly better than DPL, and there are NO EXTRAS AT ALL ON THE DISC! Not even a trailer!!
    I wasn't going to purchase the disc, but I found it in a "Used DVD" bin at a local computer software specialty shop for $10. If you're a Trek fan, it's worth that much to tide you over until the SE is released in a couple of years ... but I certainly wouldn't touch it at its MSRP of *gasp $29.95.

7. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

The current DVD of STAR TREK GENERATIONS is still the best version available on any format IMO.
    If you like the film buy the DVD until the new version is released.
    I think the DD5.1 audio sounds very good.
    The 2.35:1 letterbox transfer does have the usual jagged/hard edged look to it that most non-anamorphic tranfers exhibit...but the colors look very nice on my 61" 4X3 RPTV. (Calibrated w/ AVIA)
    Better than VHS and LD...thats all I need. [​IMG]
    Thats my non-expert review of it.
    ------------------
    LuvLBX

8. Roland_L

Roland_L Auditioning

Maybe you could try the R2 version, which IS anamorphic and has good picture quality.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I didn't know the Region 2 version was anamorphic.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

10. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

According to The R2 Project, and Bensons World as well, Star Trek: Generations is indeed anamorphic.

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Funny this topic was brought up today. I just rented Generations and am curious to see how it looks now.
    I guess sales will be the determining factor, but is Paramount going to wait 6-7 mos. before every new special edition release?
    Edit: I was able to watch this disc this evening and have to say it doesn't look very good. While the colors are pretty good, there are far too many artifacts and "edginess" to the picture. I would wait for the re-release if you want to buy this movie.
    [Edited last by Dave H on November 03, 2001 at 09:49 PM]

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I expected to see you get flamed for saying this was your favourite. It is also one of my favourites but I believe it was marred by the alternate reality nexus ending. Extremely dumb. I thought the sound was pretty good. The video was ok, and the extras were .......... absent.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Probably going to be the same wait time it was for the movie-onlys. 6 months between discs. In the case of ST:TMP, it's been almost 18 months since ST:TWOK came out
    Jeff Kleist

14. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

15. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    quote: The current DVD of STAR TREK GENERATIONS is still the best version available on any format IMO.[/quote]
    The picture is certainly sharper than the LD's, but the sound cannot compare to the LD's Dolby Digital track. The LFE on the DVD is downright wimpy. When planets explode on the LD, it sounds like a planet exploding (assuming there is sound in space, of course). The DVD sounds a Yugo back firing.
    Neil
    ------------------
    "Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran
    [Edited last by Neil S. Bulk on November 04, 2001 at 11:26 AM]

16. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I used to have this title but when I did a mass cleansing, I sold it. I like the movie enough to buy it again if the SE is worthwhile. Dual DD and dts would be nice.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's