What's new

Star Trek Generations CE DVD?? (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Hmmmmm... that's surprising that Paramount hasn't said anything about a First Contact CE DVD yet. Martin Blythe, if you're reading this, can you confirm for everyone, please? We'd love to know. Thanks! :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any more news on this title? Extras, release date? Hopefully July or so? I read the Region 2 one is listed for September?

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
I read somewhere that the release date of the Region 2 dvd is 27.9. Can't remember where I got that...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, it seems they are keeping with their schedule of releasing only twio a year. I guess it will be about Feb 2006 before they finish up.

Ric

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure about these rumours of Generations coming out in late 2004, because I assume that there always has to be at least a few months between releases, and IGN stated awhile ago (I linked the story earlier in this thread) that paramount had told them that the First Contact Collector's Edition will be out by the end of 2004. I hope it comes out around Christmas at the latest.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I can see Paramount taking more time (maybe even until 2005) on the movie SCE's, especially since there's a lot of Trek (6 Voyager sets, 3 TOS sets) left on the release calendar for this year.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The date has been confirmed for region 1. September 7th!! I can't wait!!

From Trekweb.com:
Paramount Home Entertainment has announced in the slate of their forthcoming DVD releases that the Region 1 2-disc Special Collectors' Edition version of STAR TREK GENERATIONS will be released on September 7, according to Robert Harris of Home Theater Forum, in time for the film's 10th anniversary.

The majority of the supplemental features for the new 2-disc DVD of GENERATIONS, the first of the four NEXT GENERATION feature films and the seventh in the STAR TREK film series, have not been announced at this point. The only supplemental feature that has been confirmed is the documentary tribute to the late Walter M. Jeffries, designer of the Enterprise for the original STAR TREK series.

It is expected that the GENERATIONS DVD release will contain a new audio commentary, a textual commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda, and behind-the-scenes features on the making of the film.

The Region 2 DVD release of GENERATIONS had been earlier announced for a September 28 release date.

I'm also looking forward to the rest of Voyager and the new TOS box sets. I also hear that some select TNG episodes are coming as sets as well? Like a Picard episode assortment, etc?
http://trekweb.com/articles/2004/05/...9c5b161b.shtml

paul_austin

Second Unit
Well we all know there are tons of deleted scenes....including that alternate way of kirk getting killed. Its gonna be a real crime if these dont make it on this DVD release.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

What a great idea! That would truly make it a Collector's Edition. I can see it now "The only Star Trek DVD to feature a commentary with both Captains Kirk and Picard."

Martin, please make a note. :D

Peace,

DM

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm very surprised about this release schedule from Paramount for Star Trek product on DVD. I know they know that the demand is out there for it and most fans want it and want it now.

The film series has been on schedule for release over a specific time period. Each TV series has it's rotation schedule as well culminating with the last season by year's end. But they've never had an overlap of two Star Trek TV series at the same time available new.

The amount of Star Trek video material is running out. By the end of this year, we'll have both Star Trek Voyager and Star Trek TOS Season Sets released. For some who must buy on release day either to get the release day promotion price, or for other reasons, it will be very expensive by this year's end! And the only new material left to look forward to will be the rest of the TNG movies releases. And if Enterprise does indeed end after the 4th year, then there are 4 more season box sets, then that's it.

It seems odd to me that a studio would not want to pace itself a little more so that this material will come out over a longer period. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it out ASAP, it just seems like they could spread it out. With the number of films left, First Contact and Insurrection, that's about a year away from completion after Generations is out. I leave Nemesis off as I doubt that will receive CE treatment. (A Stewart Shatner commentary on Generations would be cool!)

I realize that some would feel that they won't buy any Voyager and are waiting for TOS only. So maybe my argument only affects a smaller group. Plus some like me already have TOS and may not re-purchase it. But you know you will if it has new suppliments.;)

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
I would have thought it more sensible to release 7 seasons of Voyager this year, and then 3 TOS and 4 Enterprise in 2005 - thus making 7 releases in 2002,3,4 and 5.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I was a little surprised to hear that they would be re-releasing TOS the same year as the Voyager roll-out.

Anyway, back to the movies... I wish that they would step up those Collector's Editions!

Ric

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I saw Doohan at a convention a couple of years ago and it was one of the saddest experiences of my life. His son-in-law led him around in a wheelchair with the name of a ST shuttlecraft emblazoned on it. He could barely sign autographs and was obviously in quite bad health. He looked like he had suffered a stroke. I felt really bad for him.

DanHaya

Second Unit

Brian, he did suffer a stroke a few years ago. I remember seeing him on the TV Land Awards last year when they gave Star Trek an award and the whole original cast (sans DeForrest Kelley, of course) went up on stage to accept the award. He looked terrible then...I can only imagine that his condition is continuing to deteriorate.

As of this summer, he is retiring from conventions and other public appearances. His last public appearances will be sometime in August in L.A. He's going to finally receive his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame that weekend, as well. There was quite a movement to raise the money for his star as soon as possible. I don't think I need to tell anyone why, it should be pretty obvious. :frowning:

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I always thought Generations was one of the weaker movies, so I never bought the original release since I knew it was so lackluster. When this SE comes out, I will more than likely pick it up since it should have a nice transfer and soundtrack.

Hopefully they'll keep releasing these SEs at the same price point that Star Trek VI was.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
And hopefully they'll be going back to the black cases... Maybe even an insert/booklet!

Of course what I would really like to see is some of that unused footage. And maybe a tribute to our favorite engineer.

Ric

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I stand by my choice of Generations as one of the BETTER Trek flicks. More ambitious and philosophical than most. Honestly, I've never really understood why it inspires so much disdain.

And I look forward to a non-crap transfer!

CarlosL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos
Malcolm McDowell definitely kicks ass. "Time is the fire in which we burn."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa