What's new

Star Trek Generations CE DVD?? (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I am also anxious to hear something concrete. Don't quit now, Paramount! I want the same treatment for all the ST films... Yes, even Insurrection. I have my reasons.

Ric

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
This SE probably won't be released until late in the fall, as these releases seem to follow that pattern. Paramount probably won't make an announcement for this title for a few months. However, since the first edition didn't have an anamorphic transfer, its a safe bet there will a re-release. I just hope we get a lot of involvement from the cast on the extras...

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
It's definitely coming, right before Matt Jeffries passed away, they had an event at Paramount with a tribute to him, which is said to be inlcuded on the DVD when it comes out.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
There are approximately 35 minutes worth of scenes that were cut from the film, a number of them trim footage but also a number of significant scenes, among them:

- the orbital skydive prologue
- the 23rd century coda
- a longer sequence involving Riker and Worf identifying the Bird of Prey that attacks the Enterprise
- the complete sequence of Soran torturing Geordi
- an alternate version of Picard's Nexus experience
- the original ending
- a final wrap-up giving each TNG cast member one more time on screen

I did an exhaustive analysis of the first workprint (dated 6-22-1994), the second workprint (circa August 1994), and the final release version of the film, and many of these trims and cuts occurred after the assembly of the first workprint. The primary scenes that were cut at this point were the orbital skydive prologue, the 23rd century coda, a third of the Soran/Geordi scene, about 30 percent of the original ending, and part of the final wrap-up. More edits were made after the second workprint was shown to a test audience, which gave the film a 66% approval rating due to the original ending, necessitating the reshoots in September 1994.

These lost scenes have been well documented, some of which were shown as behind-the-scenes clips on Entertainment Tonight, though the scenes have remained unreleased to the public at large over the last 10 years.

To read the complete analysis of the different versions of Generations, go to TrekWeb.com.

I for one would love to see these lost scenes restored onto the SE DVD.

Actually, Paramount did a sneak preview showing of the film on November 17, 1994, one day before the film's official opening. I happened to attend that sneak preview showing with some friends, and to this day it remains the only Trek film to have a sneak preview showing the day before its release (at least in my area).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Given that Nemesis had numerous cuts that only a handful went on the DVD I would'nt hold my breath. Although maybe David Carson is more partial to deleted scenes that Stuart Baird was.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike

That's scary. Has it been that long?

It was a good movie, I don't care what anyone says. It had obvious plot holes, but it's no Star Trek V :D.

And Neil, I love your sig. I own a 1977 35mm print :).

Mike

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
35 minutes? Wow! I'd love to see all that! I'll settle for some of it, but WOW. I didn't know there was that much cut/reshot.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
After holding out forever, I saw a new box set at Best Buy this weekend with the CEs of all six original crew films and snatched it up with gift cards. At $76 the price was right, and I had made the trip to get VI and the new SE of POTA anyways. I don't really feel like the Next Generation films lived up to the better original crew films (or the better episodes of TNG for that matter), but since I've gone this far.....

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I sure would like to see those deleted scenes.
Commentary too.
Why cant they get the Next Gen cast together for a commentary. They are all suppose to be close right?

Roger_R

Second Unit
There was a tape with a workprint of the movie that some guys at section31.com got their hands on. They posted all the cuts on their site...even though I can't find it now. a quick Google might do the trick though :)
A lot of them are just small trims, but there's a couple of insteresting scenes such as the skydiving, extended torture scene and the ending.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

I'm sure Nemesis will be re-released with additional footage at some point.
I also hope Nemesis is not the final Star Trek film. I believe they could do something very cool with combined casts, obviously some characters would not be included. Wait and see what happens I guess.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor

Well, there is a two-disc Nemesis coming after the two-disc Generations, First Contact, and Insurrection.

IIRC, the Generations SE has been done for a while...

Frank@N

Screenwriter

IMHO, Nemesis should have been done as an SE from day one.

Generations SE, First Contact SE, and Insurrection SE should have all been scheduled for this year.

What's the plan, delay everything just so they can release Nemesis twice without looking bad?

Meanwhile, junk like Voyager will get shoveled out by the month.

Guess they figure we're desperate enough to buy anything.

Sorry, I must be having a bad day...

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I would love to see the 35 minutes of deleted scenes from Generations, and it was a shame that only 20 (out of 45 minutes) of deleted scenes were included on the ST: NEMESIS DVD instead of all of the deleted footage.

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks