What's new

Star Trek Generations CE DVD?? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I loved the new version of Star Trek VI on DVD!!
I am really looking forward to the new version of Generations. Any news on a release date or extras for this film?
Hopefully the alternate Kirk scenes will be included. I know there was several other filmed scenes that were cut as well.
Thanks for posting.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It's "logical" to assume that we'll get a CE of this movie at some point this year.

At this moment in time, this is the only Star Trek movie that's not presented on DVD with anamorphic enhancement. As such, it sticks out like a sore thumb. So ... let's hope it comes sooner rather than later ...

Brad M

Second Unit
I'll have it the day it is released. I hope as we get into the newer movies the extras get better. I've really enjoyed the reissues.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I hope they get the sound right on the next DVD. The Dolby Digital track on the LD is much stronger than whats on the current DVD. The current disc sounds flaccid compared to the LD.

Neil

Beau

Supporting Actor
Don't know if it's been discussed in other Star Trek threads, but after Paramount re-releases the rest of the movies, will they put all the DVDs in a big boxset? Havent bought any yet, and wouldn't mind waiting a year and a half or so until they would put them all in a set.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
i can't complain about no anamorph since i have the german dvd which is anamorph and looks great but the very obvious thing i'm really pissed off is the missing trailer for the film :angry: so far i have no idea if the trailer for genrations is on another paramount release.

here is a screenshot from my dvd. i saved it as a .png file for best view :)

generations anamorph 560kb, right click to save

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Well, it's tough to tell how much of the quality of that screenshot is due to the DVD itself and how much is due to the png compression, but it looks like there's quite a bit of room for improvement. Fine detail is lacking and halos are everywhere...

DJ

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

edge enhacment is a bit of a letdown but when you watch the film it's not that bad. i hope paramount does a good job in the remastering of this film for the new special edition dvd :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
My bare-bones region 2 copy has a very nice colorful anamorphic picture with sharp 5.1 sound, but I'd happily buy it again if a 2-disc special edition is on the way.
First Contact is my favorite of the NG movies, I really hope that pops up in a 2-disc before the year is out.

Kevin_H

Stunt Coordinator

Darn, I guess there's no need to do a new Anamorphic transfer for Generations. I think it was a blessing in disguise that Paramount released Star Trek V and VI non anamorphic originally, because the new Anamorphic transfers of V and VI are much better than the reused Anamorphic transfers of III and IV. And Generations, because it one of the first Trek discs, would be an older transfer than III and IV and probably looks worse.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
well Gen is my favorite ST film so they had better release it! I have already bought it on WS VHS, WS LD, and WS DVD so now I want an anamorphic edition! I would love a commentary by Stewart and Shatner! :)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I'd imagine parts of this film would be rather hard to compress as well, since the lighting for the Enterprise sets was changed so dramatically from the television broadcast. It was so dark with tons of shadowy corners, which made from some comical moments I thought.

You could usually see the bridge outside the door of Picard's ready room, but in one scene Riker leaves and walks into a pitch black bridge - rather odd.

As for a commentary by Stewart and Shatner, I would kind of be interested in Stewart's take, but I think Shatner pretty much covered everything in his "Movie Memories" book, though at the time it was published he had just heard about being called back to reshoot the ending, so he wasn't sure what was happening with that.

Just as an aside on "First Contact," I hope we get a good luck at the evolution of the story and some good deleted scenes on that one. I remember readeing an interview the John DeLancie and he said something about Q at one point being in First Contact. They way he talked it sounded like they may have actually shot it, but I'm not sure. I've never been able to figure out how he would have been in the movie though as it doesn't seem like it's "missing" from anywhere in the film.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I loved the lighting in Generations. The golden sunlight streaming into Ten Forward was particularly nice.

I'm really looking forward to this ones release. Not only is the current version the only one that is not animorphic, but its also the only one missing the trailer.

BRING IT ON!
Ric

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I liked the lighting too, and rather wished the Enterprise D hadn't been destroyed so we could see more of it lit like that in later films, it just doesn't make sense for the bridge to be pitch black is all :)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Isn't Nemesis also missing the trailer? The teaser can be found on the Trek III SE, but the full trailer, at least partially scored with Elfman's Planet of the Apes music, has not been put on DVD yet as far as I know.

Neil

Haden

Supporting Actor
I would only buy a Generations:CE DVD if they had the original opening scenes with Kirk's orbital skydiving. I've seen photos of that before, but I've always wanted to see the film footage. It can just be included as a supplement.

I'd buy the DVD for that...Otherwise, I'll pass. The film itself isn't entertaining enough for me to own barebones or with subpar extras. First Contact is the only TNG movie I really like and would purchase despite a lack of amazing extras.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I agree. Generations has a lot of cut scenes that need to be released officially. This DVD will be a tremendous opportunity for that.

Neil

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any news on a release date or extras?
Thanks for the posts!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members