What's new

Star Trek future movies? (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

That's true, although it's been 13 or 14 years since Generations, and Shatner has aged, as has Nimoy. Both men look good, if you ask me, but Shatner's not going to pass for a man in his early 60s, which is how old he was when Generations was filmed.

CoreyII

Second Unit

Hey JonZ,

I agree with much of what you have stated, but you are far more tolerant of the Next Generation movies than I am.

Generations, had too many plot holes, killed off a beloved character in a very wimpy manner, and furthermore did not provide a solid reason for destroying Enterprise-D. Granted, I like the new Sovereign Class Enterprise, but destroying the Galaxy Class Enterprise just because the Klingons discovered the frequency code for the shields was complete crap. The Next Gen crew have been in tougher situations on the television series and were able to get the Enterprise out in one piece. Now in the Searc for Spock (a film which I also love as much as you do), Kirk had a totally justifable reason for destroying his Enterprise and the destruction sequence was for more emotional.

First Contact, there was nothing in this Borg film that hadn't been done better on the television series.

Insurrection, totally forgettable.

Nemesis, by the time I got to this film, I was sick of stories that not only centered around Picard, but Data as well. When I saw B-4, all I could think of was here's another story about Data's past.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea Generations also has some pacing problems. When Picard and Kirk, 2 iconic characters, have their first conversation.....its over scrambling eggs.Theres also some real bad pacing here. The Picard and Kirk scene goes on for too long and I still dont understand how they were able to transport from the Nexus back to the real planet to stop Sauron. The fight with the bird of prey was really just stupid. Really.Even when the Enterprise fires on them, their shields are holding. And like I said especially after dealing with the Borg, changing the frequency should have been the first option. They should have been able to take out Lursa and B'Tor in under 10 seconds. I was enjoying the film,despite some of its flaws, until Picard beamed down to the planet to stop Sauron. Until that point the film was so much fun to watch.

In all honesty I was pretty happy with First Contact. Insurrection was pretty much a mediocre tv episode. And weve seen it so many times before. I knew how theis was gonna go before it unfolded onscreen. Planet of youth, yea ok, get natives off planet, crew disobeys orders to save people, corrupt starfleet officer, blah blah.

I really enjoyed Nemsis when I saw it and the negative reactions to the film were suprising me(I think by them people were just tired of Trek)In fact I really dont have any complaints about it except for the scene where Troi tracks the Viceroy, which I think is REALLY badly done (complete with light on her eyes). Even thought Id wished Picard gone before this film, hes great here and his expressions show the pain the man is feeling. I dont really even have a problem with B4. Data and Lore may be the 2 functioning androids that worked, but its easy to imagine other "failures" out there.

The TNG films for me when considered all together are still a disappointment. Maybe splitting them up and putting them on different ships ,reunited for a common cause,earlier would have helped. Riker was never given a chance to shine in the TNG movies, LaForge hasnt shown his genius in the films the way he did in the series - too much focus on Picard.

I would rank the TNG movies:
First Contact, Nemesis, Generations, Insurrection

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

Actually, there is. Q rescues Kirk from Death, makes fun of the way Kirk died, and relives with Kirk how he first met Spock. 'kirk has so often wished he could do things differently if he could....now Q is giving him the chance to order to escape death...for a while, anyway..

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Sounds like the TNG episode "Tapestry..."

I always thought a TNG movie with Q made a lot of sense. Can't imagine why that was never developed.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

That's because they didn't have the One Ring :D

PS: it was Soran, Malcom McDowell in a great performance ;)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
You know, just once, I wish they would do a series that revolved around someone other than the bridge crew. I remember the TNG Episode Lower Decks touched on this, and it completley changed the atmosphere. We saw how friendly the TNG Crew where with their fellow bridgemates, but they where almost harsh with their 'sub-ordinates'.

THAT would be a new take on a new Trek series. That way, you'd be forced to make ALL the chracters interesting, and you wouldn't have the 'big three' (You're Spock, Kirk, and McCoy, or Riker, Picard and Data's of the TNG universe)...to always focus the story on...

But this is Paramount... that would not be playing it safe with a big franchise such as this (groan mode off :) )

CoreyII

Second Unit

What's up JonZ,

The good ol Nexus from Generations. Now let's see, if I remember correctly (it's been many years since I've seen Generations) The Nexus only comes once every so often (a millennia, I believe). In the movie Dr. Tolian Soran is able to get to the right place at the right time in order to enter the Nexus and live his heart's desire. According to film's logic, Soran succeeded, Picard failed to stop him. At this point in my opinion, there was no turning back, but all of a sudden because Picard realized that the Nexus reality he was in wasn't real, he was able to go back in time (with Yoda's err, I mean Guinan's help) snatch Kirk from his reality and stop Dr. Soran, who for all intents and purposes was already in another place and time living happily ever after with his family.

If Guinan being an El Aurian had the power to step outside the Nexus and see it for what it is, the why did she really needs Picard's help, afterall, she is one of the few people in the Galaxy that Q fears. Furthermore, since Soran is also an El Aurian couldn't he have done something to prevent Picard's second attempt at stopping him. Also, the film states that once your inside the Nexus, you can go to any point in time, with that in mind, Picard never really left the Nexus, he just went back to a point in time (in his mind) where he could stop Dr. Soran, but he never really went to the point before the Nexus phenomenom happened because you have to be inside the Nexus to travel to any point in time. Ooookay, I'm getting a headache now :). Anyway, the whole Nexus theroy just raises too many questions.

JonZ, I knew Generations was in trouble when Leonard Nimoy pubicly stated
that the script gave Spock nothing to do. Plus, I felt that Generations was a rushed film, it seems after Next Gen's final episode, the series producers were in too much of a rush to get the Next Gen crew on the big screen. What Rick Berman and Michael Pillar should have done was, once the series was over, they should have let Patrick Stewart and company pursue other projects for a few years thus giving the writing staff at Paramount time to sit down and come up with a really epic story that is worthy of both Enterprise teams.

By waiting a few years, Parmount would have built up great anticipation and rewarded the fan's with something truly worthy of the name Star Trek.

JonZ, you mention how characters like Riker and La Forge didn't really get to shine in the Next Gen movies and I agree 200%. This is one of the main problems I had with all of the Next Gen movies, every film centered around Picard and Data. Unlike, the Original series which from the get go was always about Kirk, Spock, and Bones, the Next Gen had seven years to fully flesh out seven unique characters and some supporting characters. As a matter of fact, Worf is arguably just as popular as Picard and Data, afterall, he starred in two Trek series. Yet for some reason, all four Next Gen films couldn't get past telling stories about Picard and Data.

The whole B-4 idea was just plain bad in my humble opinion. When I saw the crew discover B-4, I almost walked out of the theater. I feel the Trek creative team have beaten the whole "Data's mysterious past/his wanting to understand humanity" storyline to death. All we needed to know about Data was wonderfully covered in the series; Lore, Dr. Noonian Soong, the whole nine yards. You could have used anyone of the other five characters to springboard an interesting movie.

Although, I don't agree with everything he does, I guess this is where Joss Whedon or someone of his mindset excels. Whedon knows how to work with an ensemble cast and can make a really interesting story out someone who isn't the main character yet still give everyone a chance to shine.

I'm done for now.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it's official:
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...cle/45415.html

i can see it now. just as MI looked, sounded and felt like Lost and how Lost looked, sounded and felt like Alias, we're going to get the JJ vehicle's version of Star Trek.

probably the michael G as the composer. more of the piano+string+dying of slow boredom motif here and there. sounds like it's going to SUCK!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well...I LOVED Alias. (at least most of the 5 seasons)...during it's first few years it was a ratings and critically hit.

MI-3 was also very good. Star Trek needs some freshness & I think it's a rather brilliant move. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A prequel starring a young James T. Kirk and Spock?!! I'll probably be passing on this one. When it comes to Kirk and Spock there can be (to paraphrase another movie's byline) only two, and those two are Shatner and Nimoy. If they want to resurrect STAR TREK then try doing something other than using two characters who are so synonymously identified with Shatner and Nimoy.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

This is Paramount, and this is Star Trek. The last risk they took was DS9, and even though it's probably one of the more critically acclaimed shows, it also seems to be the bastard child of the ST franchise. Therefore, nothing original works, in the minds of an executive :)

'Hmm... Enterprise didn't work because we went way too far back in time. Lets just go back in time to Kirks era...yeah, that'll work..'

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I could never figure out the reason for that show. A buddy of mine liked it, but he generally likes all of the STAR TREK series. I always thought that the people who thought up "ENTERPRISE" had rocks in their heads. How do you go back and create a series that predates the one that started it all in the first place? It was bizarre. It didn't help that the show just never seemed very good. As far as I am concerned the first Enterprise was the one that showed up in the original series.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I can't believe I'm saying this...but I actually think a JJA helmed ST might turn out to be pretty interesting, with the right script and the right cast. If the rumours are true (Matt Damon, Gary Sinese, Adrian Brody as Kirk, McCoy & Spock respectively) you know the script is decent.

This has potential.

I'll wait and see.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Michael Giacchino (with his M:I:III and "The Incredibles" scores) has shown he will honor the style and feel of the original compositions.

M:I:III also showed that audio and visually wise the new "Trek" will be dynamic. Abrams loves anamorphic photography (no Super35 nonsense) and will more than likely use Industrial Light & Magic for the VFX. I don't find it a concidence all the best TREK films used ILM.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
peter, alias was good in the first 3 years, but s4 throughs5 sucked. i've seen every single episode of alias straightup last spring from 1 through the series finale.:D. while alias was creative/original and generally well thought out ACTION TV series. in fact, i believe it is one of FIRST action TV series utilizing modern film-techniques.

re: Michael G. while his music style was unique to Alias, i didn't like his Lost renditions, it's the same piano-string-emotion swelling stuff. the same with MI, nothing NEW to his style like Jerry Goldsmith/Williams when they score somn, it does sound NEW, even Horner (as bad as he is) strives to sound diff. but man Michael G's stuff is just so damned boring over time.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Composers will do what the producers tell them. "Lost" isn't a musically driven show, the music is there to reinforce a mood. Dennis McCarthy (ST:TNG) and Mark Snow (X-Files) called it "sonic wallpaper". I liked the "M:I:III" score and thought his first film "The Incredibles" had the best Pixar music score to date, evoking the classic Bond films of the 1960's.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i didn't know incredibles was michael G, but i dislike the same exact thing over and over again. horner and goldsmith has some of that on a few soundtracks.

an example from goldsmith is timeline's score (not in theatrical film version but released oN SACD) sounds almost the same as star trek nemesis in certain parts.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

And here I thought I was the only one who noticed certain movie scores sounding alike. Take a look at some of Elmer Bernsteins stuff...

They where playing one of his other movie tunes on the Cinemagic Channel. I think the movie was Black Cauldron, but it sounded 95% like the Opening Library Ghost music, where the lady is stacking books in the library basement..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks