What's new

Star Trek future movies? (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I almost like the April plot more than seeing two new people playing a Kirk and Spock.
If they want to alienate the fanbase, this is the best way to do it.
Actors should never have story approval because in most cases the story serves their character only.
Insurrection was originally suppose to be a dark picture with similarities to Apocalypse Now but Patric Stewart wanted a lighter tone. Look what we got.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I think the TNG actors have to much say in these movies. They were hired for their acting not their story telling.

I'm all for a Capt. April movie. I just want it set in TOS general time frame before the movies. I want a retro TOS look.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the Captain April movie would have still focused on the very young Kirk and Spock characters in their first adventure together aboard the newly-commissioned NCC-1701. It sounds as though the current leaked script is still the same story, just with Pike as the first captain of the Enterprise. (Some people here are apparently under the impression that Kirk and Spock didn't meet until Kirk assumed command of the Enterprise. It actually makes a lot more sense that Kirk had had a prior relationship with Spock before he became the captain of the Enterprise.)

And, "Yes!" The story is supposedly loosely based on the Diane Duane novel "Best Destiny".

Having read the novel, I personally feel that the fans will *love* the movie (provided that the integral portions of the novel make it to the screen).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I thought Nemesis was as good as Generations and much better than Insurrection.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Am I the only one who liked Insurrection? Apart from the slow scenes with Picard and the village lady that are not really all that interesting, it had a few good moments and great music.

I take it every movie from now on will have the Enterprise get wrecked almost beyond repair :).

I didn't mind B4, but if the original reason for killing off Data was Spiners advancing age, why create another android character that looks like Spiner? Obviously it's so he can come back if he wants too...but chances are good we'll never see B4 again if age really was a factor. It would have been more interesting if they had created B4 as a female android, or a teenager android, or something different.

I just think the movie would have worked better with Lore. They un-willingly assemble him after his dissembled body is put together in engineering, Lore kills data, Picard Kills Lore, and we move on from there. 5 minutes of exposition would be all we needed to catch the non fans up to speed.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I rewatched Nemesis last night. I was actually suprised B4 didnt annoy me as much as I was expecting. And I thought it was kind of sad to see Data talk to him. The movie also has a emotional punch,or me,that hasnt been felt since the Search For Spock(another fav of mine alot of fans dont care for). I really honestly believe focusing on Picard too long hurt the TNG movies. IMHO Picard shouldnt have survived First Contact.

Nemesis is pretty disliked with alot of people saying its inconsistant, but Generations has huge holes in it - (its been a few years since I watched it but.) A fewpeeves: If Kirk has been in the Nexus for 75 years, why is he acting like hes just arrived there when Picard shows up? Kirk doesnt die alone. And the big one, why doesnt Riker a veteran and a guy who went up against the Borg just change the frequency of the shields(how he survived the Borg battle in the first place) and blow that shitty little Bird Of Prey out of space? Instead we get a long stupid drawn out scheme involving Ionic pulses and blah blah.

With Enterprise cancelled, and interest at a serious low,I just dont understand how they think going backwards is the right idea.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm

I haven't been this excited about Star Trek since the 80's!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Perhaps because overall the TOS movies were better received than the TNG movies?

Besides I would love to see a TOS era Enterprise on the silver screen!

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
Yep. TNG was popular but it never reached the mainstream "acceptance" of say The Voyage Home or Wrath of Khan. The general audience knows who Kirk & Spock are and like them. Picard and the rest are seen as "geeky" and do not appeal outside the hardcore fanbase anymore.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"TNG was popular but it never reached the mainstream "acceptance" of say The Voyage Home or Wrath of Khan. The general audience knows who Kirk & Spock are and like them."

Yes William Shatner DeForest Kelly and Leonard Nimoy. Voyage Home was my fathers fav Trek movie - but it appealed to the then late 30 and 40 crowd because they knew the characters and actors from the 60s. It was a different time. Trek movies were a bigger deal back then.

I agree with what someone else dsaid earlier about the actors making these characters, Shatners manurisms and such being Kirk,etc. Its not he same as James Bond whos adapted from a book. I think the actors played too big a part of those characters to be replaced and Ill be shocked it this movie does well.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I don't know if I agree with that... I think Picard and Data are known in popular culture for people who haven't even seen a Star Trek episode as much as Kirk and Spock. The movies might not have been as big as the original crew's movies but the show was huge at the time. You've got to understand when the original movies were coming out, that was the ONLY Trek out at the time. When TNG finally had their movies, you had 3 shows on the air. Overexposure.

While TNG is not AS popular in mainstream as the Original Series, it's pretty close. The other shows on the hand are nowhere near the popularity of the first two in terms of pop culture.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

And he did die alone since none of his old friends were around. Picard he just met. He was in essence, alone.

Oh God.... I'm a geek too. Nooooooooooooooooo...!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ok how about since in the Nexus nothing was real. How come after Kirk agrees to help Picard, they were able to transport to a real time and place on a planet?

"He did just arrive there. Time has no meaning in the nexus."

Why does Kirk think he just got there? And if you remember guinan said he had just gotten there himself.

"And he did die alone since none of his old friends were around. Picard he just met. He was in essence, alone."

No, he was with Picard. If Scotty is aware Kirk died during the Excelsior mission what about the comments Scotty made in TNG's Relic about Kirk must about Kirk must have come looking for him.(Man, IM such a geek)

Sorry guys,but neither one of those answers work for me :D

Im being a wanker, but point being I dont understand the criticism of Nemesis ignoring past events, when it the other films do as well and Generations has huge holes in it IMHO.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well as far as anyone in star trek knows, kirk did die alone.

he died when he got zapped into the nexus because everyone but picard thought he died then.

and he was alone trying to save the ship.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I wish there was some way to simply ignore the events of Generations and Nemesis, both of which are bad movies IMO.

As a viewer, I'm certainly entitled to ignore those stories and focus on story progressions that make sense, but as filmmakers, Abrams or anyone else is going to have to incorporate something as huge as Kirk's death.

Brian D H

Second Unit

Not necessarily. All he'd have to do is have it be a Kirk from just BEFORE the events that threw him into the Nexus. That Kirk (and Spock) could time-travel back to the time period of the original Enterprise. Not only could he ignore Kirk's death (since it hasn't happened yet), but the implication would be that a new time-line is created, so future film-makers could alter Kirk's death to anything they want, or simply ignore it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks