What's new

Star Trek future movies? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

It's my understanding that the movie will focus on the Captain April era. This was the original Captain of the NCC-1701 before Captain Pike. Captain April's first officer was Kirk's father; and a young Kirk (still studying at the Academy) is invited by his father to tour the newly-commissioned NCC-1701 while it's in space dock above earth. There he meets Spock for the first time (travelling to earth on the Enterprise as an advisor). Of course, the short tour turns into Kirk and Spock's first adventure together on the Enterprise.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
have you guys read the extended universe books? shatner/reeves/garfields written a 3 trilogies i think (or more). i read all of them except the last 2, captain's peril&captain's bl00d. while the last few haven't been as good as previous efforts, these books are really good!

i luved prime directive&federations. if they made those into films, that would rock... but if reeves+garfield both wrote scripts for the film that would rock too. their contributions on season4 of ent. was awesome. they should do more =D.

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator

Where did you hear that? Did you get an early version of the script or something? That plot sounds terrible. Kirk's father? Lame. I've read gay erotic Trek fan fiction better than that!

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
The Capt. April plot was from a book, First Destiny I believe. Maybe it was Best Destiny. One or the other I'm sure. Anyways it wasn't bad, but I didn't like that they retrofitted continuity so that the Enterprise was the first Constitution class ship built. That was dumb. Anyhow, that has nothing to do with the new movie.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
This movie is about the early years of Kirk & Spocks first missions on Enterprise. Not about Kirks Dad.:eek:

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
"Abrams assured us it's a story that even non-Trekkers can enjoy. ''On the one hand, for people who love Star Trek, the fix that they will get will be really satisfying,'' he says. ''For people who've never seen it or know it vaguely, I think they will enjoy it equally, because the movie does not require you to know anything about Star Trek. I would actually prefer [that] people don't know the series, because I feel like they will come to it with an open mind.''"

Shatner, who originated the role of Kirk in the original Trek series and several subsequent films, said in an interview that he was invited to meet with Abrams.

"I met with J.J., and they told me they would like me to be part of their film, but they have to write the role," Shatner said. And confirming the rumors, Shatner added, "Yes, we know the story is based on young Kirk," Shatner said."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/start...s.php?id=18367

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Very true. It seems to be a permanent part of Paramount's Star Trek marketing.
The result, at least in the Berman years, were films that sacrificed series cohesiveness to entice non-fans into the theater. And it didn't work very well, for the most part. The last two films were box office failures.

If Paramount takes anything away from the success of the Spider-Man films, or Batman Begins, or even the new James Bond, it is that you must respect the source material when making these movies. Lets hope they do so with the new Trek.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
It saddens me a little that J.J. Abrams won't at least take a look at DS9. TOS and TNG are iconic, and they are Star Trek, but DS9 was the best-written of any of the series (IMO).

I have also grown tired of the constant assurances that "You don't have to be a fan of Star Trek." Well, fine, but what if you are? Will you enjoy it, too? It's reached the point that Paramount is going to have to do some serious marketing to the fans to assure them that "You don't have to be a non-fan of Star Trek" to enjoy the new movie.

I really hope they take a page from New Line's work with LOTR. The studio's current financial frustrations notwithstanding, the marketing strategy for the trilogy was BRILLIANT. They started with the longtime fans of the books. They made sure they had them on board, because they knew that if fans didn't go to the movie, no one else would, either. This included working with TheOneRing.net, the internet teaser, and so forth.

Then, they gradually cast a wider net, knowing that the fans of the books that they had already won over would do some word-of-mouth campaigning of their own. This built up with screenings of portions of Fellowship at Cannes, then trailers, TV spots, TV specials, and finally, BOOM! A huge hit that nearly everyone was at least interested in.

Paramount needs to realize that with Star Trek, it has reached the point where the fans are all they have left, and not even all of them. I hope that after Nemesis, they will realize that fans also need to be courted. You've got to make them realize that you haven't forgotten where all this came from. Even the marketing for Revenge of the Sith was centered on making the connection with the original Star Wars trilogy.

Obviously, Paramount wouldn't have to be quite that precise, but they do need to understand that your core audience is no longer a given, and they have to be on board before anyone else will be.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
bryan, i hadn't thought about that, that is correct =D. work the core first... then expand. non-trekkies who don't like trek will just never attend a showing anyway.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Very true. If you were not a fan, and saw an ad for Nemesis and thought "maybe I'll see that" and then your friend who is a Star Trek fan said "I saw that, it sucked," you're not going to go.

Fans will respond if you respect the source material, which Nemesis did not. Non-fans will be drawn into a good film, which has gained critical and fan praise.

There must be a fear in Paramount's marketing department that Star Trek is viewed by the public as the ultimate closed-door property, because every Star Trek film for the last 15 years has been preceded by relentless hype that "you don't have to be a fan to enjoy it!" Which, as someone who has followed the show(s) for more than 30 years, I find insulting.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
As a rejuvenated Star Trek fan. I hope they ignore everything but TOS.

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
Abrams said he has never seen DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise and said he has no plans to ever see them. He has seen TOS and "some" of TNG he has said so I expect it to not deal with anything other than TOS. I expect as long as he is in charge of the franchise it will Kirk & Spock TOS era only.

I remember Abrams mentioned Kirk should be like Bond/Superman/etc where he IS the franchise and he is replaced by new actors as time goes by.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has everyone seen this item about Brent Spiner saying the reason Nemesis failed at the box office was because "the fans were done with us" ?

http://www.trektoday.com/news/210107_01.shtml

What a load of crap. They failed to make a good movie - which is the real reason no one came - and he blames it on a lack of interest from the fans? (I recall that Rick Berman had a similar excuse for the movie's failing too.) As if to say "Fans should be coming to see any old thing we make, no matter how bad." (Of course, Spiner had a hand in the story for Nemesis and his friend John Logan wrote it, so it is unlikely he'd realistically criticize the movie on its merits.)

Excuse us, Mr. Spiner, for being more discerning.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
"Wrath of Khan" was a film made for fans. "Nemesis"? I don't know what it was made for, but it wasn't for fans. I'm biased though. I have always thought that ST:TNG was a weak, dissolute series with a cast that was not much better. The movies have only proved it to me. The only time that ST:TNG had any life to it was when the borg showed up. As such, the only ST:TNG movie that I thought was any good was the one where, once again, the borg showed up. I believe that was "First Contact". The rest, for me, were only one step above shite.....except for "Nemesis".....that one was shite.

For me, ST/DS9 was the best of all the post-TOS "Star Trek" series; however, I am not sure it would be a good candidate for a movie treatment due to the long story arcs that were a signature of the series. However, I would rather see a movie based on DS9 than a film that uses the original crew with new actors. Kirk and Spock are so synonomous with Shatner and Nimoy that any other actors playing the part would just be a disaster. I,for one, would probably never know what the movie was about, because I would be spending the entire runnining time thinking, "that isn't Kirk" or "that isn't Spock".

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
In looking over the deleted scenes included on the Nemesis DVD it appeared as though quite a few scenes that the fans would have enjoyed were shot. The problem was they weren't included in the movie for some reason. The early wine scene between Picard and Data *had* to be included since it's alluded to later in the movie, but it wasn't. That scene included lots of artifacts in the background from some of the best episodes from the series. (And the wine, itself, was from Picard's brother's vineyard.) Other scenes that were shot but not included depict Riker and Troi departing the ship (with Riker playing a final joke on Picard); and the installation of a new Captain's chair on the re-built bridge. There's even a final scene with Picard talking to his new First Officer about going on a mission "Where No Man has Gone Before".

If Nemesis was *truly* "for the fans" then those are the kinds of scenes that had to be included in the movie. That they were shot and then not used indicates clearly that there was some kind of late change in direction for the production.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks