What's new

Star Trek future movies? (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Some people always say that. I'm sure there have been hordes of people screaming recasting James Bond wouldn't work, and they probably said that many of the times it happened. And yet the new Bond usually was received well. I know tons of folks were adamantly against the re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica, yet the new version is at least as good as the original and many folks feel it's vastly superior. The first 4 Batman movies, while widely bashed, the last 2, with the character re-cast, the re-casting itself isn't what made those movies be trashed, as much as the direction taken by those in charge. I'm sure there were probably people screaming about recasting Jack Ryan as well. Some people are just pre-disposed to be against a change like this. I admit that at one time, I would have felt that way about Star Trek. But now, having seen successes in re-imagining, I realize it is the bond of those 3 characters that I most enjoy about Star Trek. So if it could be done fresh, it just might provide a wealth of additional entertainment.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"There is no way this movie will do well. if the last two movies didn't do well at the Box Office, this retro idea won't."

Especially with how anal Star Trek fans can be. While it true sci fi fans ware a small group in the grand scheme of things bad word of mouth can kill a film.

James Bond and the like I think appeal to a broader audience.

I think people are just sick of Star Trek right now and I especially think this will bomb.

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
If it indeed has big name stars like Matt Damon and the 60's nostalgic charm it will easily do well with or without Star Trek fans.

For the average non-Trek fan Star Trek has been dead since Kirk era's crew stopped doing films. I doubt many even heard of Nemesis or the show Enterprise.

Big name stars plus that 60's style will bring in people.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
You can include fans like me who kept on watching but wouldn't last full seasons because nothing comes close to TOS. The sad part is I still went to the last three movies hoping :frowning:. I'm re-energized now that there's a regime change.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I always knew the day would come when we would have Star Trek with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy; but *without* Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley. I'm just going to try to keep an "open mind" about it.

With the full seasons of TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager in my collection-along with all the movies-my Star Trek appetite is fully satiated at this point. So I'm not going to get in an uproar over this. If its good, I'll support it. If it doesn't meet my expectations ... well, then I have 700 episodes of Star Trek plus 10 movies to fall back on.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

Good point of view. Hopefully, with all the missteps Star Trek has taken during the TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, (and the TNG movies) days, TPTB will strive to get what worked in TOS and use that, while at the same time giving us a fresh and updated view. If they fail, we still have the older Star Trek to fall back on.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082806

so... we'll have TOS in HD yet... hopefully they give us the original NON-altered versions. wtf is wrong with people these days? STOP THINKERING!!!!! star wars started it, now everyone wants to have different versions of everything.

anyway, if paramount crops from OAR to 1.78, you can't see actor's faces the way TOS is framed. therefore, i think it is 4:3 with black bars left and right.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Is the original film in widescreen when they tranfer everything to 16x9 for HDTV.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I don't think they should be messing with the FX shots, but if they do they should at least have the photo torpedoes come out the top of the saucer like in the blueprints.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I met up with both William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy yesterday at a Toronto convention.

Both of them stated that they have absolutely no information about the new Star Trek film, but both of their agents have been contacted by JJ Abrams who requested each of the actor's home phone numbers.

Nimoy said that he allowed his number to be given out and Shatner said that he refused permission (he may have been kidding, it's hard to tell with Shatner). Nimoy said that he hasn't received any call from them yet.

Shatner also suggested that Angelina Jolie should play Spock!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
An awful rumor has popped up: http://cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp...8&obj_id=52616

It says that Tom Cruise may appear in ST 11, perhaps in a cameo.

I think this would be terrible, and if this is an indication of the type of movie it will be, it will be bad. Cameos like this are gratuitous and only serve to take the audience out of the movie (because they'll stop thinking about the movie and say "Hey! That's Tom Cruise!"). If you need a stunt like this to make your movie memorable, then the movie is in deep trouble.

Still, it is only a rumor, and we can hope it doesn't pan out.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

"Star Trek VI" turned out alright and that featured a gratuitous cameo by Christian Slater...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Why would Cruise want to appear in another Paramount film??

Don't think so.:D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Gratuitous??

He was in shadow half the time and on screen less that 10 seconds. I wouldn't call that gratuitous...just a fan since his mom was the casting agent.:)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i wouldn't mind that cameo if it pulled in more non-trek audiences.

imho, paramount really needs work on their marketing dept. STOP MARKETING TO TREKKIES! damnit if you sold the tix today they will have snatched it up. they should concentrate marketing to NON-trekkie. that's 1 great way to snatch up $. it's like the LOTR campaign that reaches NONLOTR fans. it's really effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks