Star Trek Franchise

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by John*Wells, Jul 16, 2006.

1. John*Wells

John*Wells Stunt Coordinator

John
    Okay, so I bought TOS last summer. Now I am in the Process of buying TNG since the price has dipped. I have Seasons 1 and 2 and seassons 3-5 on the way. But why are Seasons 6 and 7 still at such high prices??

And I have noticed that with Voyager and DS 9 as well and Enterprise is still too expensive for me

Any idea when the MSRP will dip on this?

2. John*D

John*D Second Unit

Who knows? However, DDD has the series sets that include all the seasons for about $315 for both TNG and DS9.

Personally I'm waiting for an bigger price drop when the Thinpak/slimline sets are released. No confirmation on that happening, but considering R2 is getting them first, it's only a matter of time.

3. John*Wells

John
    Well I never really got into TNG or any of the other Series' when they aired but I decided to buy them blind and I have not been disappointed with TNG so far. In fact, I've almost completeled Season one already and I just got it in the mail this past Friday [​IMG]

The reason I decided to start buying them as it relates to TNG is I am afraid Paramount will pull them from production since Stores in my area such as Best Buy have informed me that the only way to get them is online these days

4. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

At first they only dropped the prices for season 1-3. Then 4 and 5 dropped months later.

Be patient and you'll see the final seasons drop to the lower price.

5. JeffSchiller

JeffSchiller Agent

In my opinion, each season of TNG was better than the previous, so you've got some fun on the way...

6. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

IMO, Seasons 3,4, and 5 of TNG represent the best consecutive three seasons ever aired of "anthology-style" Trek. So you have quite a treat ahead of you!

7. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

I'm really holding off buying any of these sets because stores like Best Buy and Circuit City, that used to stock these sets no longer stock them and the only sets they are selling are older stock sets that Paramount has been storing. I think they are waiting for more of their stock to deplete before they reissue the sets as thinpacks.

Me? I'm not buying these sets until they issue thinkpacks.

8. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I must say I agree with the "thinpak" sentiment.

I purchased Season 1 of TNG way back when it was first released.

I'd have collected the rest of the show, but the price tag got to be a bit much. I thought the show got better as it progressed, and the last three seasons were excellent (the show was even nominated for "Best Drama" at the Emmys for its 7th season).

The original Trek was one that I would have loved to have owned, but the price was again high, and the packaging was poor.

Science fiction shows tend to carry a higher list price. I think it is because their audience is a bigger fan of the format and will pay a premium for programming.

TNG was the best of the bunch (in my opinion). It'd be fun to own that series. The cost was just too much for my blood.

If it'd been in the $40 to $60 range, I probably would have owned it.

9. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason

Even that, though, was simply a token gesture by the Academy. There is no way in the world you'd ever convince me that Season 7 deserved the nod. Season 4, most definately. Cases can even be made for S5 or S6. But not S7.

10. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I know...it was more a "recognition for the run of the show" type of nomination.

I still thought Season 7 was very good. Obviously, there weren't the memorable moments you had in say Season 4, but I just thought there was a nice relaxed feel in the last season.

I will say this, though. Season 7 of TNG might very well have been better than the other dramas nominated that season.

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I bought all of TNG, over the course of it's second year at full price. I just started getting DS9 this year(almost 85% never before seen), and will pick up VOY next. Same goes for TOS and Enterprise, the former 95% never before seen.

Don't shoot me! [​IMG]

12. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Dont forget the Animated Series in November!

13. John*Wells

John
    Ive seen maybe 3 or 4 eps of DS 9 and about 4 of Enterprise. And I have only seen 2 of Voyager I checked outta the local library. Yet I am going to buy them outta nowhere

Guess I might be an addict *LOL*

14. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

There are some who believe that DS9 is the best of the Trek series.

I haven't watched a whole lot of it, so I can't really comment. The show got better when Avery Brooks shaved his head, grew the goatie and looked like his character Hawk on "Spenser: For Hire"... [​IMG]

I was really excited about "Enterprise" and wanted to like it. I liked a number of the episodes that I saw.

The series are high quality and worthy of a purchase on DVD. I just wish they'd been priced more affordably from the get go.

I am not a big Star Trek fan like some. Of the series, TNG had the most broad appeal. I know folks who really weren't into the whole sci fi thing that really loved that show.

I may one day own the rest of that series on DVD...

15. Mark Talmadge

All I can say is that its in Paramount and CBS's own discretion to release these sets in thinkpack packaging and drop the price on the sets. This is one of the reasons why a lot of fans haven't been picking up the sets because of the news that the TNG series has already been released as thinkpacks in the UK.

16. John*Wells

John
    Does the high Price have anything to do with the way they are packaged in those storage pouches? Or is it just Paramount expecting people to pay so much for them combined with all the liscening and other stuff

17. Mark Talmadge

It would take CBS/Paramount another 3-4 years to release every season of every series ... remember how long it took for them to release the shows on DVD the first time around. Every two months at the rate of one set every other month.

Sci Fi television shows have always fetched a higher premium price on DVD. Just look at these shows like Andromeda, Farscape, Lexx, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, Lost in Space, Space 1999. When you buy a complete season they generally will run you close to double the cost of a regular TV Show.

To answer your question, Sci Fi shows are generally more expsive to buy on DVD because the studios know they can get that. They are faced with not only rising costs but also with trying to offset the loss of DVD sets that may not make as much money.

18. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

The Star Trek products (whether it be movies or TV) seem to get repackaged and re-released every few years (my comment goes back to the VHS days).

I would imagine that a new "thinpak" release is in order. It dunno of if it'd take a long time to re-release, or not. It depends on whether they release one season at a time, or multiple seasons at once.

Who knows...there is a finite amount of space on shelves at local retailers.

I often worry with shows that I have just started collecting that already have multiple sets out if they'll all be available at a local retailer (Best Buy...as an example). I know I can get them online, but I really do like to get TV releases at the store.

To be honest, I'd like to collect shows from the "first release date" and continue to buy every other season on the day of release, but sometimes that isn't realistic, and you have to wait to start a new collection.

Add this to the advent of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and the amount of shelf space could become even "more" limited for certain shows.

I'd imagine that the "Star Trek" sets rated as some of the most popular of any show released. I am sure CBS Paramount would like to get the sets on the market.

Since the CBS Paramount merger for TV shows, I'd imagine that they are going to slowly roll out "new" packaging for older shows that were released under the Paramount-only label. And...some of those sets were bulky, so they'll go with thinpaks.

It might take a while, but CBS Paramount seems to be pretty "aggressive" with their releases, so it might not take as long as anyone thinks.