What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well, if they are individual releases, I'll buy everything EXCEPT TMP. No interest in back-peddling to the theatrical cut. The DC is just so much better.
If it's a box set, I don't know that I'll do it. If I get the BD-TMP, and Paramount DOES do a DC later on.... that will constitute a quadruple-dip for me. Hey, I'm a HUGE Trek fan... but damn.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Alex cosmo said:
300-400? Yikes. I was picturing a simple 6 disc set, not much more expensive than the 4 disc Godfather trilogy.
Yeah, even at a $25 per movie average that would only be $150...

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Count me in as one who prefers the Theatrical Cut for TMP.

The DC is okay, but to me, too many of the little changes bother me now. The added sound effect are okay, but the revised alert klaxon sucks. Kirk's missing "Oh my God" after the transporter accident (what was wrong with it ?... it was much more dramatic and appropriate than how it ended up in the DC). Kirk's missing second, stronger, "Viewer OFF!" makes the shock of what the crew just saw have less of an impact.

Also, the CGI animated hexagons that formed the V'ger bridge really bothers me. I know that Darren said they tried to mimic the look of traditional cel animation by doubling up each frame, but in a short sequence such as this, they would have spent the time to do a single frame animation. Even in real full animated movies, sometimes they do single frame shots on important scenes and only double up the minor character motion and speaking movements.

I'll get the DC when (and if) it comes out on BD, but I'm very happy the Theatrical Cut is coming out at all. My laserdisc is not going to last forever.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Nobody here that's posting they're upset too not get the DC of "ST: TM" because of SD FX, better not be posting anywhere that they are upset too get SD FX shots on "Firefly" on BD!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ed St. Clair said:
Nobody here that's posting they're upset too not get the DC of "ST: TM" because of SD FX, better not be posting anywhere that they are upset too get SD FX shots on "Firefly" on BD!
Wow! That's a whole lot of nested negatives. ;) :D But I think I got what you mean. :laugh:
Yeah, I was looking forward to renting this to see for the first time. Sounds like I might not want to buy it after the rental no matter how much I turn out to like the series itself (unless there's some *serious* price slashing for it).
_Man_

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
So what would happen if Lucas only released the Original Theatrical Version of Star Wars on Blu-ray? :X

Brad M

Second Unit
BrettGallman said:
So what would happen if Lucas only released the Original Theatrical Version of Star Wars on Blu-ray? :X
The Earth would crash into the sun and we would all burn alive. George keeping the OT hidden is all that saves us from certain doom!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
BrettGallman said:
For my money, I'd be upset, too. There's no reason not to include both/all versions. Heck, look what Blade Runner did.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Rolando said:
what is this about firefly? is there something wrong with the PQ on the Firefly BD?
Firefly (and Enterprise for that matter) was produced in HD but the SFX work was rendered in SD, and so it will be softer when viewed on Bluray. A very similar approach could be taken with TMP's director' cut and I wouldn't mind all that much, though I would prefer them to go back and do things a little better.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Joel Fontenot said:
Count me in as one who prefers the Theatrical Cut for TMP.
The DC is okay, but to me, too many of the little changes bother me now. The added sound effect are okay, but the revised alert klaxon sucks. Kirk's missing "Oh my God" after the transporter accident (what was wrong with it ?...
IMHO, it was about the worst ever delivered and least convincing line reading from Shatner in Trek's history. I saw it opening day in NYC and the whole theater laughed out loud. I had always cringed when watching TMP on VHS over the years and when the DC came out, was very pleased with that change.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Dave Mack said:
IMHO, it was about the worst ever delivered and least convincing line reading from Shatner in Trek's history. I saw it opening day in NYC and the whole theater laughed out loud. I had always cringed when watching TMP on VHS over the years and when the DC came out, was very pleased with that change.
Total agreement here.
Doug

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Alex cosmo said:
300-400? Yikes. I was picturing a simple 6 disc set, not much more expensive than the 4 disc Godfather trilogy.
7 movies x $39.99 each=$280 give or take depending on how many extras they are giving so it could be more or slightly less. Look at the TOS remastered prices which are very steep but they obviously wanted to recoup their investment in new FX. The HD-DVD season 1 was around $199 RRP but you could pick it up a lot cheaper if you looked around. Remember Lowry Digital have been involved on ST4 & 8 so they will want to recoup that cost early on.
Even though Trek has always been treated as bargain basement sci-fi by Paramount that label gets quickly forgotten when it comes time to price up the goodies for the consumer!!

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Paul_Warren said:
Remember Lowry Digital have been involved on ST4 & 8 so they will want to recoup that cost early on.
Does Star Trek: First Contact (aka Star Trek 8) really require Lowry's work? The current DVD looks very good and the film looked very good when it aired on Universal's HD channel a few months ago. Are we sure they aren't working on Star Trek IV through VIII (as opposed to only IV and VIII)? I don't doubt the original poster and it's nice to know the studio is putting in some effort but it does raise an eyebrow.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Dave Mack said:
Wow, I totally cannot agree with that interpretation of his reading.
It generated total silence from a crouded house when I saw it in the theater.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
paul,
if u have been following how paramount charges anytime they released a new DVD for ANY trek franchise, brand new releases all get the 'fan-price markup'. ask all of the hardcore fans who spent the first $100+ per season of any of the series. it's like they know they can get it from the fan early adopters who won't be able to resist. and nowadays ea. season is like ½ to ¼ of the original price.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
As much as I like the Director's Cut of TMP, I'm glad that they're leading with the theatrical version. I'm not happy that that's basically because of Paramount's cheapness, but I'll be happy to see the TC again.

Paramount have a lengthy track record when it comes to excessive DNR on catalogue releases though, and I hope that they can keep it under control for the classic Trek flicks, because I'm quietly geeking out over the thought of seeing these classics done right in HD.

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe this set will be more reasonably priced than the usual Trek stuff, since this time it's part of the big hype for the new movie.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Joel Fontenot said:
Wow, I totally cannot agree with that interpretation of his reading.
It generated total silence from a crouded house when I saw it in the theater.
The old Loewe's Orpheum on East 86th in manhattan. Opening day, Dec. 7th, afternoon show. generated laughter where I saw it. And I think it's a terrible line reading. Completely unconvincing IMHO and I LIKE the Shat's acting. Wise took it out for a reason too.
edit: just did a google search. Apparently I am not alone in my opinion of that line reading.... This reviewer described it almost EXACTLY the way I did.
http://www.dvdjournal.com/reviews/s/startrek01tmp.shtml
"At least as significant are the numerous small changes. Previous versions of the movie contained a lot of fat — unnecessary footage, redundancies, and infelicitous editing — so the Director's Edition trims most of that away for a leaner final cut. A few seconds here, a line of dialogue there, a trimmed moment spent lingering on an unnecessary visual.... It adds up, it's done subtlely, and it's all to the good. William Shatner's most disastrous line reading of his career, his "Oh my God" uttered after a fatal transporter malfunction, is removed with not a seam showing..."

edit: found another...
http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/arti...VGer_Redux.asp
"Certain lines of unnecessary, heavy-handed dialogue that have also been newly excised, with a couple of unintended laughs going along with them -- like Kirk's "oh my god!" statement after the transporter room accident..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks