What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (3 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Goldsmith's score really saves the first film. It would be virtually unwatchable with a mediocre or poor score.
I agree with the first sentence, but not the second. I actually like TMP more than many of the other films in the franchise. I still think the Klingon sequence at the beginning is one of the great film openings ("ruined" only slightly by the egregious matte lines around the battle cruisers).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
TMP's score is the best in the series and well deserving of the 3 CD edition that La-La Land Records did.

However, I also enjoy the music by James Horner for TWOK and TSFS, and Leonard Rosenman for TVH. Goldsmith's score for TFF is also very good, and Cliff Eidelman's music for TUC, while different, really fits the material. In short, the first six scores are all worth the time.

Rick Berman placed less emphasis on music, so the Berman-produced films, while they have good music (as noted) don't reach the heights of the original six IMO.

Last edited:

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I still think the Klingon sequence at the beginning is one of the great film openings ("ruined" only slightly by the egregious matte lines around the battle cruisers).
I only really first noticed the matte lines upon viewing The Directors Edition the first time (which was the first high-resolution home video release of the film) back in 2002 or so. I know Director Wise's approach to the Directors cut was not to have any changes or additions that didn't look like they couldn't have been created back in 1979. I know the time and labor budget for the Directors Edition was limited. Had they had a little extra time, its possible Wise might have decided to make some additional judicious corrections such as the aforementioned matte line issue. Of course, Im just a fan who had no involvement in TDE at all and am just speculating. Only people like Mr. Docherman and Mr. Fein who were there would know what Wise might have wanted to do or not.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Okay now it's real! Bull Moose has a live pre-order for the first four Star Trek movies in UHD!! Only $82 which maybe sounds like a lot to some people but $20 a piece sounds reasonable to me. I hope it has some new features and hopefully deleted scenes but most of all I hope they all look and sound fantastic. My pre-order is in.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
While I’d love new special features, just a caution to keep expectations in check: Mission Impossible, Indiana Jones and other Paramount upgrades have been only old bonus features and old masters on the enclosed Blu-ray (if there is one).

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Noted. But the pre-orders that went up in France two and a half weeks ago (and we're taking down within 48 hours because they were premature) did indicate new special bonus features. Not saying that it's a fact as it may have been a misprint but it's giving me a little bit of cause for hope

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
On the hope front, I am hoping for remastered BD versions either together or separately. I’m just not in a position to upgrade my projector to 4K this year (or to buy a UHD player and down convert to 1080p at home), so I’m hoping against hope for new BDs too.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
On the hope front, I am hoping for remastered BD versions either together or separately. I’m just not in a position to upgrade my projector to 4K this year (or to buy a UHD player and down convert to 1080p at home), so I’m hoping against hope for new BDs too.

Paramount seems to be inconsistent with that, though they tend to lean more toward not.

I'd like to think that because the existing Trek BDs (besides #2) are from such ancient HD masters, they'd go ahead and update, but who knows?

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
With the opening price being just $82 I almost wonder if they will include blue Rays at all. A couple of their recent 4K releases have not included Blu-ray discs. Days of Thunder is one that I can think of off the top of my head.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t either. In one pile I have my hopes, and in the other pile I have my expectations, and there’s not a ton of overlap between the two.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
With the opening price being just $82 I almost wonder if they will include blue Rays at all. A couple of their recent 4K releases have not included Blu-ray discs. Days of Thunder is one that I can think of off the top of my head.
Neither did Indiana Jones.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The $82 is Bull Moose's price. Their listing says:

"List Price $107.99 (You Save $26.02)"

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Pretty sure Paramount knows that it's going to be discounted sometime before release date. Bull Moose just goes ahead and does it early whereas Amazon usually starts at the MSRP and goes down gradually as release date approaches

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Seems pretty unlegit for a supposedly high profile release supposedly coming out in just over two months.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Paramount seems to be inconsistent with that, though they tend to lean more toward not.

I'd like to think that because the existing Trek BDs (besides #2) are from such ancient HD masters, they'd go ahead and update, but who knows?

I tend to doubt it. Look at what happened with Mission: Impossible. The UHD set only included the prior Blu-ray copies despite the fact that the first couple movies had very old masters on Blu-ray (and M:I-2 looked especially dreadful). Paramount later reissued a standalone copy of the first movie on Blu-ray with a new transfer downsampled from the 4K master. I don't believe M:I-2 has been so fortunate yet.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I tend to doubt it. Look at what happened with Mission: Impossible. The UHD set only included the prior Blu-ray copies despite the fact that the first couple movies had very old masters on Blu-ray (and M:I-2 looked especially dreadful). Paramount later reissued a standalone copy of the first movie on Blu-ray with a new transfer downsampled from the 4K master. I don't believe M:I-2 has been so fortunate yet.

Wait. Was there replacement program for those who bought the 4K set?

_Man_

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Yeah probably 100% unlegit. Even though it has a UPC number and a MSRP. I guess without that cover photo it's completely unlegit. And the exact same item popping up last month on Amazon France and another French retailer also unlegit.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Okay now it's real! Bull Moose has a live pre-order for the first four Star Trek movies in UHD!! Only $82 which maybe sounds like a lot to some people but $20 a piece sounds reasonable to me. I hope it has some new features and hopefully deleted scenes but most of all I hope they all look and sound fantastic. My pre-order is in.

I believe this is legit. However, I have two questions:

1) Why a picture of Paul Simon where the artwork should be?

2) Under the pre-order button, it says "Pre-Order. We will try to get it for you." Try to get it? WTF?

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
They use that same picture as a placeholder for all their new pre-orders until they get the artwork. I guess the owner likes Paul Simon a lot. As for the phrasing that's just the way they phrase things. They're real good company they just happen to be a regional retailer in New England that does mail order over the United States. They don't charge tax unless you're from Maine they don't charge shipping over $35 and their packaging is Superior to Amazon. Also they mail in a timely fashion and generally their disks arrive on release date or very shortly after.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks