What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I bought a used copy of the TMP novelization about a year ago (I think upon reading all the posts from one of the other TMP threads in the Movies section) and just started reading it a few days ago. I think it’s actually pretty well written for a novelization, and really appreciate the inner thoughts of Kirk and Spock. I thought I had read somewhere that Alan Dean Foster actually ghost wrote the novelization even though Roddenberry got the credit. Any truth to this?

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
There used to be a great website that had full details of every Star Trek novel published and the differences in each printing. It even had details on canceled books. I wish I could find it again. Good resources without ads are rare today. I remember reading that a limited run hard back edition of TMP signed by Roddenberry was released.
That was Steve Roby's Complete Starfleet Library, which is now lost to the sands of time, but thankfully the Internet Archive has you covered: https://web.archive.org/web/20120130060237/http://www.well.com/~sjroby/lostbooks.html

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I can't speak to TMP but Foster ghost wrote the novelization of Star Wars and Lucas got the credit.

Foster is generally credited with writing the story that became TMP. Prior to that, he also wrote the Star Trek Logs books, based on the animated series.

Here is his Memory Alpha entry:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Alan_Dean_Foster

And from the TMP MA entry:

However Alan Dean Foster did successfully arbitrate with the Writer's Guild as he had initially received no story credit at all, even though he had written an early draft of the "In Thy Image" script which was rewritten into the TMP script.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My hope was that Paramount would do new 4K restorations of all movies then release a definitive collection box set on 4K UHD Blu-ray and 1080p Blu-ray. And I would also love to see something like a Blade Runner super set where we get some movies with both theatrical and directors cuts. Maybe even a special updated cut with updated graphics but only if there is a theatrical in place and I would be interested in seeing William Shatner's version of Star Trek V. But most of us know the chances of Paramount spending that kind of money on a 10 movie set. And they could do two versions with and without the new Star Trek films. Also if they wanted to go nuts they can have original theatrical audio mix and a updated Dolby Atmos mix as well. Like many Star Trek fans I want the best transfer available that these films deserve and to see it presented in the best quality possible. I have all the movies on DVD and can still enjoy the movies at 480p but I like many sure would love pristine releases of all 10 movies! The three new films really would not cost anything as they could just add the discs to the set that are already available. If your going to dream, dream big!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
My hope was that Paramount would do new 4K restorations of all movies then release a definitive collection box set on 4K UHD Blu-ray and 1080p Blu-ray. And I would also love to see something like a Blade Runner super set where we get some movies with both theatrical and directors cuts. Maybe even a special updated cut with updated graphics but only if there is a theatrical in place and I would be interested in seeing William Shatner's version of Star Trek V. But most of us know the chances of Paramount spending that kind of money on a 10 movie set. And they could do two versions with and without the new Star Trek films. Also if they wanted to go nuts they can have original theatrical audio mix and a updated Dolby Atmos mix as well. Like many Star Trek fans I want the best transfer available that these films deserve and to see it presented in the best quality possible. I have all the movies on DVD and can still enjoy the movies at 480p but I like many sure would love pristine releases of all 10 movies! The three new films really would not cost anything as they could just add the discs to the set that are already available. If your going to dream, dream big!
With the just completed reuniting of CBS and Viacom AND the emerging leadership seemingly now embracing and appreciating their Star Trek franchise, (not to mention the references to a 4K remaster & release of STTMP-DC), this scenario might not be far fetched after all.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the new leadership has publicly said they want to leverage the Star Trek franchise better. That sounds a lot like they want their version of Marvel as some have postulated.

So it does look like the time may have finally arrived!

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
But do they start by remastering the Trek catalog on disc -- or do they wait until there is a new movie product to tie it into?

And that will be years from now even if they start a movie project now.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
But do they start by remastering the Trek catalog on disc -- or do they wait until there is a new movie product to tie it into?

And that will be years from now even if they start a movie project now.
They’ll need also enough time to remaster DS9 or VOY, so they have to start by now if they up to something like that.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just listened to this week’s Inglorious Treksperts where Daren Dochterman speaks with Douglas Trumbull. It was a good listen as he talks about his work on 2001: A Space Odyssey which was really fascinating. And then his work on Star Trek The Motion Picture of course as part of their TMP 40th Anniversary.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I just listened to this week’s Inglorious Treksperts where Daren Dochterman speaks with Douglas Trumbull. It was a good listen as he talks about his work on 2001: A Space Odyssey which was really fascinating. And then his work on Star Trek The Motion Picture of course as part of their TMP 40th Anniversary.

Agreed. It’s a great listen!!

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
So do you suppose that there is still the "social media buzz" out there about STTMP Director's Cut in 4K a month after the one panel that spoke about it?
It's kind of absurd to pretend that they were looking for some ongoing social media talk when everybody gets interested for a few days and then with no new information they it simply get forgotten till the next real information on what is going to happen with the project.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
So do you suppose that there is still the "social media buzz" out there about STTMP Director's Cut in 4K a month after the one panel that spoke about it?
It's kind of absurd to pretend that they were looking for some ongoing social media talk when everybody gets interested for a few days and then with no new information they it simply get forgotten till the next real information on what is going to happen with the project.

Maybe by December when the anniversary hits?

Not sure. I think it will take time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for post that video David. I can’t get too excited over it yet, as much as I want to.

He said he pulled out the master tapes, or words like that and it sounded to me like he’s remastering the Jerry Goldsmith score. Though he does later comment about hearing V’Ger in the Atmos. So it could mean he is remastering the film‘s Sound track for the remastered film. Could it be the theatrical cut or the Directors Edition or both, we’ll see.

If Star Trek The Motion Picture really is getting the 4K treatment, then I’ll have to upgrade my system for it. And celebrate.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
But he did specifically mention Atmos which indicates they are remixing the soundtrack as opposed to just the score. I've not heard of movie scores being mixed in Atmos

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That’s true David. I had to do a quick research on who Bruce Botnick is and what that video was about. I kept hearing him discuss The Doors. So that made me think he’s more an audio engineer for rock music, then he mentions the Echo speakers. So maybe he’s promoting that new speaker.

The wiki entry for him says he worked on the records for The Doors and The Beach Boys. And interestingly the entry says this:

Botnick had a long-running association with film composer Jerry Goldsmith as his scoring mixer. Botnick first met Goldsmith on 1979's Star Trek: The Motion Picture and they worked together on most of Goldsmith's film projects - numbering over 100 - from the 1980s through to Goldsmith's death in 2004.

So beyond that, I don’t know what to make of this. Maybe it was a slip of the tongue on Bruce’s part. I’m still hopeful we will see a remastered Star Trek The Motion Picture in our lifetimes. Hopefully we will hear about the project officially.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks