What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Agreed. I hope we are wrong.
I would think all films would be repacked then??
Star-Trek-Logical-Spock-T-Shirt1-e1455935215262.jpg
;)

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I'm sure we'd have heard if there was a new transfer by now. Paramount is pretty notorious for repackaging existing discs.

'Tis true. The only thing that will probably be different is the DigiBook feature. At least they're doing something more than just repackaging it. They could have put the existing disc in a new cardboard sleeve with a "40th Anniversary Edition" banner on the front cover and be done with it.

At this rate, if anything is done with this movie from here on out it'll probably be for streaming services. Ditto for ST VI, whose Director's Cut still isn't available on BD but at least can bought in Digital HD. I know it sounds pessimistic, but Paramount's recent decisions have led me to this conclusion.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
'Tis true. The only thing that will probably be different is the DigiBook feature. At least they're doing something more than just repackaging it. They could have put the existing disc in a new cardboard sleeve with a "40th Anniversary Edition" banner on the front cover and be done with it.

At this rate, if anything is done with this movie from here on out it'll probably be for streaming services. Ditto for ST VI, whose Director's Cut still isn't available on BD but at least can bought in Digital HD.

Sounds like this is a reissue disc. Just confirmed it.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Why does the Amazon link say 230 minutes? No version or any combination of versions of the movie add up to that running time. And how has it been confirmed that this is simply a reissue?
As usual for a moment there I had my hopes up.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
On the UHD front-- Paramount in the last 2 years has released all the Jack Ryan movies all the Mission Impossible movies the Cloverfield movies the Tomb Raider movies, all the Transformers movies and even the first Pet Sematary movie as tie-ins for sequels reboots remakes Etc.
So with the new Picard series coming to CBS All Access shouldn't there be a good chance that at least the next Generation movies are released in UHD?

JohnM73

Auditioning
Real Name
John
At this point in the decent transfer Star Trek waiting game, I’d almost ‘happily’ settle for the same masters being used, but pre-dnr and with more care shown towards dirt clean-up. I’m hoping though that logic prevails, and somebody (or group of persons) at Paramount realise that with 4K discs and streaming now in many homes it makes complete sense to future-proof and do fresh transfers of all the films. Once done, and done properly (no waxy images through overuse of dnr and grain removal!), they can release to 4K disc first, then streaming services later, and watch the money roll in. With the 40th Anniversary of The Motion Picture this year, the forthcoming Picard, the other new shows in the pipeline, plus confirmation that there’ll be a Season 3 of Discovery, now would seem like the perfect time for such releases whilst Trek is enjoying increased popularity once again. I’ll totally give up hope with them if this Motion Picture release turns out to be the same old transfer yet again.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Why does the Amazon link say 230 minutes? No version or any combination of versions of the movie add up to that running time. And how has it been confirmed that this is simply a reissue?
As usual for a moment there I had my hopes up.

I had my hopes up too.
Bill Hunt with the digital bits confirmed on twitter last night that it is simply a reissue.

Not sure about the running time but I’m guessing it’s maybe including some of the special features?

Don’t forget to pick up your hallmark motion picture enterprise ornament. Hey at least somebody will acknowledge the 40th anniversary...

https://www.hallmark.com/ornaments/...iversary-ornament-with-light-3299QXI3659.html

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

At this rate, if anything is done with this movie from here on out it'll probably be for streaming services. Ditto for ST VI, whose Director's Cut still isn't available on BD but at least can bought in Digital HD. I know it sounds pessimistic, but Paramount's recent decisions have led me to this conclusion.
And Wrath of Khan is available in 4K HDR, but only on digital.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The individual jj trek films on UHd are discounted on amazon prime day today. 20% off.

Many other films are also 20% off as well.

Also the new jj trek set set is at $60 for prime users only..

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
At this point in the decent transfer Star Trek waiting game, I’d almost ‘happily’ settle for the same masters being used, but pre-dnr and with more care shown towards dirt clean-up. I

I'd buy an upgraded Blu-ray or UHD based on the old masters of 3 4 and 5, but I'm sticking with the DVDs of 1 and 6 until they do the director's cuts of those in high def

JohnM73

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I had my hopes up too.
Bill Hunt with the digital bits confirmed on twitter last night that it is simply a reissue.

That’s disappointing to hear, though I guess par for the course with Paramount and the classic Trek films. This would have been the perfect time to release a 4k UHD disc too. Oh well.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Take this with a grain of salt until we have confirmation, but apparently at the SDCC "Inglorious Treksperts" panel yesterday (of which The Digital Bits' Bill Hunt was a panelist), an executive (no word on who) said "preliminary negotiations" have started with Paramount to bring The Director's Cut of TMP to 4k UHD.

Also, apparently TMP will be re-released in theaters this year. More info to come at the Las Vegas Trek convention.

If true, I am sure the Bits will post about it later. If not, it's from a fan who was there and must have misunderstood.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Big grain of salt taken...but this would be great news if true. My hope is the negotiations are further along than "preliminary" and this will be out for December.

TMP isn't my favorite of the films, but I try to see it when I can in a theater. Last time was for the 50th anniversary and it was just a projection of the existing BD.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This news is encouraging especially from who made the tweet. Since he was one of the guys who worked on the DE.

But yes, I won’t let myself get too encouraged by the news. But it must eventually happen they we get the Motion Picture remastered in the three forms that it existed in.

I’ll be interested in listening to the Inglorious Treksperts episode from Comic Con.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
This news is encouraging especially from who made the tweet. Since he was one of the guys who worked on the DE.

But yes, I won’t let myself get too encouraged by the news. But it must eventually happen they we get the Motion Picture remastered in the three forms that it existed in.

I’ll be interested in listening to the Inglorious Treksperts episode from Comic Con.

Agreed! Hope this works out!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks