What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
The PQ, while far from perfect is indeed way ahead of any previous releases.
The problem is the cases of Trek 1&6 is that besides not having reference PQ, they don't have the alternate versions AND they don't have "must have" bonus features.
If they had included the many cut and extended scenes from Undiscovered Country-- it would be sitting on my shelf.
Had they had ONE of those things -- reference PQ, alternate cuts OR deleted scenes they would have gotten my sale. They struck out.
Treks 3, 4 & 5 don't have alternate cuts, so I bit the bullet and went with the "best they've ever looked", theory.
If they revisit the other movies with restorations I would asume they'd have enough sense to include the othe cuts. Deleted scenes? They just don't seem interested to bother.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's strange to me that Star Trek, which has had so many home video releases over the last 30+ years, should be the subject of several new "holy grails" - namely, the Director's Cut of TMP, a remastered Deep Space Nine, and quality blu-rays of the other (pre-Abrams) films (except TWOK).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Not to be a downer, but after the lackluster 50th anniversary, why did anyone think Paramount/CBS has learned anything from the past? Paramount can't even nail down the release date for the home video release for heavens sake. One person reports September, another November, official ST.com says December 31.

Whatever. It's monkeys running the division over there.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
It's Nov 1. Retailers have been notified, they just haven't announced it formally
And ALL the bonus content is at one retailer (Target)-- not spread to 4 different retailers as was the case with STID. That's pretty standard for new releases these days.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But I thought it was coming out today! Bill Hunt at the Digital Bits lectured me publicly on Facebook for being skeptical about his announcement of 9/20. Maybe his copy shipped today :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It looks like the Target version is the only retailer exclusive to have extra bonus features - all the other exclusives come with different models and toys but no extra content. So that's a plus that you can just buy at Target and be done.

Unfortunately, the only version at Target that will have the bonus disc is the 2D BD. So if you want all the bonus features and the movie in either 3D or UHD, you have to buy it twice. Groan.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Even the Amazon version that comes with the U.S.S. Spoiler? Fricken lame. You get an entire starship, the least they could do is slip in an extra disc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've had the 3D version on preorder for ages. I'm tentatively preordering the Target 2D version as well - if I can sell the extra digital copy for a few bucks, that'll be something. It also comes with a $5 target gift card that softens the blow. The extra 2D movie disc I can gift to either my brother or one of my parents, none of whom would care about not getting a bonus disc.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've had the 3D version on preorder for ages. I'm tentatively preordering the Target 2D version as well - if I can sell the extra digital copy for a few bucks, that'll be something. It also comes with a $5 target gift card that softens the blow. The extra 2D movie disc I can gift to either my brother or one of my parents, none of whom would care about not getting a bonus disc.

Logical.
I'm in on the 2d version.
I'm in no hurry though. I'll watch for Black Friday deals.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Logical.
I'm in on the 2d version.
I'm in no hurry though. I'll watch for Black Friday deals.

I remember at least with the STID Target exclusive, that was gone after the first day, so I feel like I'm stuck preordering or not getting it at all. And yet, I know I will never ever watch this movie in 2D, so it's actually useless to me as a way to watch the movie, so I gotta get the 3D version. Sigh… I could just as easily not play this game, but for my favorite movie of the year, I'll bite. Between the $5 Target gift card, free shipping, and hopefully another $5 or so for selling the digital copy, it's not the most painful thing I've ever done. It's still nowhere near the number of times I've bought "2001: A Space Odyssey" or heck, half the original crew movies.

I just wish Target had a version in 3D with the bonus disc - they did that for STID, but I guess 3D sales aren't enough to justify yet another SKU.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I remember at least with the STID Target exclusive, that was gone after the first day, so I feel like I'm stuck preordering or not getting it at all. And yet, I know I will never ever watch this movie in 2D, so it's actually useless to me as a way to watch the movie, so I gotta get the 3D version. Sigh… I could just as easily not play this game, but for my favorite movie of the year, I'll bite. Between the $5 Target gift card, free shipping, and hopefully another $5 or so for selling the digital copy, it's not the most painful thing I've ever done. It's still nowhere near the number of times I've bought "2001: A Space Odyssey" or heck, half the original crew movies.

I just wish Target had a version in 3D with the bonus disc - they did that for STID, but I guess 3D sales aren't enough to justify yet another SKU.

I recall seeing the exclusive still being sold at a target months later after release. That is a good thought though about it possibly selling out. I'll probably wait a while before deciding. I doubt the title will ever receive a special edition as the home video market has changed so much in recent years.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I recall seeing the exclusive still being sold at a target months later after release. That is a good thought though about it possibly selling out. I'll probably wait a while before deciding. I doubt the title will ever receive a special edition as the home video market has changed so much in recent years.

I think it really depends on the store and the location. At least on their website, it was sold out before the street date even hit. In store, when I went to pick it up, I remember looking through all of their new releases and it was nowhere to be found - only the standard version. I finally bumped into a guy who was carrying a copy of the Target limited edition in an aisle, and I asked "Where did you find it?" It turns out that they had put the endcap with the limited edition discs in the ladies underwear section! I imagine there was probably a single pressing of the Target special edition, and when they were gone, they were gone. I went to a big city store, so it probably sold out faster there than at suburban or smaller locations.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I think it really depends on the store and the location. At least on their website, it was sold out before the street date even hit. In store, when I went to pick it up, I remember looking through all of their new releases and it was nowhere to be found - only the standard version. I finally bumped into a guy who was carrying a copy of the Target limited edition in an aisle, and I asked "Where did you find it?" It turns out that they had put the endcap with the limited edition discs in the ladies underwear section! I imagine there was probably a single pressing of the Target special edition, and when they were gone, they were gone. I went to a big city store, so it probably sold out faster there than at suburban or smaller locations.

The Alice eve tie in most likely....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks