1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Scott D S, Sep 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I'm appreciate of Bill writing that post, but it sure seemed like a whole lot of words to basically say "Everything you wanted? Nope!"

So yeah, I'll get TAS on BD because I'll buy any Trek show on BD, and I'll probably get TWOK, but it's already the best looking of the current discs, so I wasn't really looking for an upgrade on that front.

I also take some issue with Bill saying that "The Compendium" release fixed everything wrong with the solo "Star Trek Into Darkness". At the risk of sounding like a broken record, "Star Trek Into Darkness" had a theatrical OAR switching between 2.35:1 and IMAX ratio in 3D, and the Compendium disc, while preserving the aspect ratio jumps, discards the 3D version altogether. This movie was not released commercially in IMAX 2D, so the version on the disc does not correspond to how anyone was seeing it theatrically in May 2013. The 3D IMAX version exists in a digital form thanks to the IMAX DCP, and there's no reason that it couldn't have been presented on disc. In fact, that's exactly what Paramount did for their release of "Transformers: Age Of Extinction". I just want to see the movie the way I saw it in theaters, and as of this writing, it is still impossible for me to do that with STID. But that isn't a new argument.

To be honest, I feel a little baited and switched by Bill's article. I'm not out any money or anything, but here's the thing. Yesterday, before his teaser post, I had no hope that Paramount would do anything with Trek, except for possibly issuing The Animated Series on Blu because the master already existed, and perhaps a new master of TWOK for UHD. Then I read his teaser, and with his writing about knowing what Trek fans want and his connections with Paramount, I went to bed with some hope that I'd be surprised. And here we are, getting and not getting exactly what I figured we would get and not get in the first place. I wish I hadn't had 12 hours of hope. It doesn't really seem that any of this is news to be excited about, and if it were me blogging about it, I probably wouldn't have teased it like something awesome was gonna happen. But obviously this is minor in terms of real world problems. Just more frustration from Paramount regarding Trek, shocker.

Bryan^H and Tino like this.
  2. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Screenwriter

Joel Fontenot
    Totally agree. Looks like only one new TOS Movie Blu-ray for me this year.

3. Osato

Osato Producer

100% agreed on all points.
    I just finished return to tomorrow book and wouldn't it have been cool if the directors cut was on the way?

I'll get khan for sure. Not sure about animated series. Should've held out a few more months!

I'm years away from uhd blu Ray too.

Sigh.

Camper likes this.
  4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

In another thread, I said I'd be utterly flabbergasted if they only release one Trek movie so I guess I'm utterly flabbergasted.

Bryan^H, joshEH, Osato and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    "Why would you do this...?"

"Because the needs of the one... outweighed the needs of the many."

*pause*

"You're a fricken idiot."

joshEH and Osato like this.
  6. Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson Second Unit

Jeff Robertson
    Bummer. Seemed like the build-up on this was suggesting much more. While I like the animated series, I'm not sure that having it on Blu-Ray is a priority right now. The DVD set is more than adequate. I understand it will be an expensive undertaking to revisit the films so in the mean time, I will definitely put my money where my mouth is on the ST II re-release.

Osato likes this.
  7. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I figured it would be too much to hope Paramount would have revisited the other films. Especially The Motion Picture. The troubling part is Mr. Hunt said the people he spoke to were new. Then later he met with another group who were new.

The good thing is Mr. Hunt asked for everything the fans were hoping for. Hopefully he continues to have their ear.

I like the WoK as much as everyone else, but I don't watch it that much anymore. I prefer The Motion Picture. This is like Goldfinger, they place more effort in the popular one of the group.

Disappointing news with some good.

joshEH, Osato and Camper like this.
  8. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

David Dennis
    I'm going to be a half full guy and so, I am thrilled that TWOK will have the extended version finally and I really wanted the Animated Series, so I can't complain.
    Feel bad for the folks who wanted TMP in the other versions, but hopefully the sales of the TWOK extended will spur them to follow up!

Osato likes this.
  9. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I was afraid a flabbergastering was on the way...

TravisR and Osato like this.
  10. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    They did a cost analysis of bringing DS9 to BD and it was well in excess of 7 million dollars. Much more costly than TNG, with a smaller audience. Unless something changes in the technology department, it's extremely unlikely. As far as I know, VOY was never even considered for a cost analysis.

Osato likes this.
  11. Allansfirebird

Allansfirebird Supporting Actor

Sean
    I'm hoping that Nick Meyer will be able to convince Paramount to crack open the vaults so we could finally see the additional deleted scenes covering Saavik's Romulan heritage, and Khan's toddler son. There is a workprint, housed at UCLA that contains basically everything covered in the shooting script (available online). If nothing is left at Paramount, maybe UCLA would be willing to open the archives?

Osato and Dave S.G. like this.
  12. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    What a waste of time. Wrath of Khan was the one Star Trek film that DIDN'T need a remaster.

Osato and dpippel like this.
  13. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    The saddest part is that, just above the disappointing Trek news, you'll read about Arrow Video's deluxe Blu-Ray package of Bride of Re-Animator. So a small company can give the five-star treatment to a cult film, but a major studio won't do the same for one of their cash cows. (I know it's much more complicated than that, but still...)

I'm sure I'll pick up TWOK and maybe even the Animated Series... but the rest? Money saved.

Bryan^H and Osato like this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think the problem isn't that material doesn't exist or isn't available - I think the problem is that Paramount just doesn't care. They feel that the existing discs are fine, when the truth is that they were far from cutting edge when originally released. They're not interested in spending any money unless they absolutely have to, and unfortunately, they don't absolutely have to.

In my experience both as a home video consumer and a former employee for a small home video label, the larger companies care more about quantity sold than quality - and a remaster of TWOK isn't going to sell like the latest Star Wars or Avengers disc, so they're not going to put the effort in. For a variety of reasons (some of which I can maybe kinda sorta sometimes agree with, and others that I don't), a company like Paramount would rather spend nothing and make nothing than put a small amount of time and effort in towards making a small profit. For smaller labels (like Arrow, which Scott mentioned), the profit margins are so much smaller that the people running those places have a love of the product that you don't necessarily see in larger companies. They'll judge their successes and failures based on profit margins too, but they'll also appreciate that they're making a quality release, or presenting the film in better quality than anyone's ever seen it, or found rare bonus features. etc. My experience with smaller labels is that they're generally run by people who care about the work, so they put a lot of effort into the work.

I think the real shame is probably that the Star Trek rights got split up between CBS for the television shows and Paramount for the movies in the first place. That's part of what caused JJ Abrams to bail on the reboot franchise, because he was strongly interested in running a universe the way Joss Whedon ran all of the Marvel movie and TV stuff for a period. But Paramount and CBS couldn't play nicely together and it didn't happen. If everything had stayed with CBS, I think the franchise would be in better shape. The CBS-produced Blu-rays of TOS and TNG are phenomenal; the Paramount-produced Blu-rays of the movies range from good (TWOK) to acceptable (TMP) to "wouldn't pass QC by today's standards" (pretty much the rest). The CBS-produced BDs of TOS and TNG include both all of the legacy bonus features and newly created bonus features. The Paramount-produced BDs of the movies include only some of the original bonus features from the DVDs and very limited new material. You look at the TOS sets and the original cast movie sets, both of which came out in the same year, and you can see that one of the sets was quickly slapped together and that one was a labor of love for the people involved. Heck. look at the differences from the BD release of the '09 movie to the BD release of the '13 movie. The '09 movie got a fantastic special edition that included a bonus disc filled with hours of real, in-depth bonus features covering all aspects of the movie's production. The '13 movie had few bonus features produced compared to the '09 movie, and then reduced that further by splitting them up as various retailer exclusives. Paramount as a whole seems to care a whole lot less now than they did in '09, not just about Trek, but about everything.

15. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Yeah they're willing to waste money on II again but not VI which shouldn't cost that much. Favoritism at its finest.

Also what the hell is up with the recent love affair with TMP arround here? It's boring, it's plotless, it's cheesy as all hell in sort of a new age hippie sort of way.

AshJW likes this.
  16. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw it when I was 14. But as I grew up, I started getting the subtext in that movie. There's a lot of it, and despite its MANY flaws, if someone is willing to engage with that movie on an intellectual level of subtext, it has rewards. More and more it seems the older I get.

17. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    Guess I'm never going to see TMP DC in high def in my lifetime, That's damn disappointing.

18. Allansfirebird

Allansfirebird Supporting Actor

Sean
    The release of Preston Neal Jones' magnificent book "Return to Tomorrow," all about the making of the film, as told by the people that made it, has generated a big resurgence of interest, it seems. Personally, TMP has always been my favorite of the Star Trek films, because it feels so different from the rest. It's much closer to the strange, new worlds concept that Roddenberry envisioned, rather than the hero-villain, shoot-em-ups the film series came back to all-too-often. I've also got an affinity for Robert Wise, so naturally TMP is a must-see for me.

Not quite sure how you can say the film is plotless, as Kirk, Spock, Decker, Ilia and V'ger all have pretty well-defined arcs within the film. I also don't get where the cheesy comment comes from, either.

joshEH, Osato, Carabimero and 3 others like this.
  19. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Very true; many of their recent catalog Blu-ray releases (which they're not even distributing themselves) don't include any of the bonus material from their DVD counterparts.

20. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

This is pretty much what I expected as far as the movies go. I'm happily surprised to hear they'll do a little more work on Wrath of Khan as in my own opinion the current Blu-ray is strangely too blue-shifted. I'd like to see what happens with a new 4K scan and some more TLC. If the color comes back the other way I'll know I wasn't seeing things. I'm a little surprised to hear about the animated series being released in HD - I'm happy to just stay with the existing DVD set.

The rest of the information is sadly what we already knew. Paramount will give better transfers to the JJ Abrams movies and will stay with the existing transfers of the earlier Trek films. It's actually a little grimmer now - if they are not planning on bringing the Director's Edition of TMP to Blu-ray for the 50th Anniversary, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to come out in 2019 or 2026 or 2029 either. They're essentially saying that they're not going to do it. And they're passively confirming that they're not going to do Blus of DS9 or Voyager. On the other hand, we do have perfectly good DVD copies of all those Treks, so it's not like they will fade into the ether. We just don't get them in HD.

Vegas 1 and Osato like this.