What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't know why it's not on that list, but it was officially rated "G" in 1979:

It was a significantly different cut, which usually means resubmitting. However, I think the original version probably would have gotten a PG if it had come out just a few years later. As Stephen mentioned above, the "G" rating was actually a little more permissive in the 70s.

Have a copy of that, and I've been meaning to read it. Is it true that Robert Wise hand-carried the final reel to the premiere?

I heard that when the film was being premiered at Mann's Chinese, reel two was playing and reel four was on its way to the theater.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I heard that when the film was being premiered at Mann's Chinese, reel two was playing and reel four was on its way to the theater.

I remember reading that for the Washington DC premiere, Robert Wise took the print with him on his flight from Los Angeles - he said it was sitting in the seat next to him on the plane, because they weren't going to take any chances with checking it in as luggage.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I remember reading that for the Washington DC premiere, Robert Wise took the print with him on his flight from Los Angeles - he said it was sitting in the seat next to him on the plane, because they weren't going to take any chances with checking it in as luggage.

Yes wise did take the print with him to Washington, D.C. For the premiere. He stated he previously had done this for at least 2 other films as well.

There was nothing noted about problems at the manns Chinese theater. They did note that attendance was double of the crowds for Star Wars! Makes sense as trek was more we'll know than Star Wars before each film was released.

It's a great book though. I am appreciating all of the vintage film reviews too. Many wanted it to be a Star Wars like film.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
There is mention of the photo with all of the prints lined up ready to go at MGM I believe? Anyway not sure where the picture is online, but I know I have seen this one before. The book has no photos but is over 600 pages long. Crazy.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Was hoping to hear some (any) news on 4K Trek! And, of course, ST II is a great way to start but I do hope all the others will follow since the Blu-Rays were mostly a disappointment. Given the technology available at this point, the first 4K releases should be fantastic if properly mastered.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'd rather they start with the first ( and best imo) film, TMP. But alas TWOK is more popular.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Some big Star Trek blu Rays news tomorrow!!?

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/031716_1230

Now then... I apologize for the delay because I know there’s intense interest. But if you can wait just one more day, I’ll have those Star Trek 50th anniversary Blu-ray details for you. I’m just waiting to hear back from a last few sources this afternoon. Even if I have to chase ‘round the Antares maelstrom, I’ll have something to say on the subject tomorrow. And I know a thing or two about it because, starting over a year ago (and then again in recent months) I was asked by Paramount for my advice on what home video should do for the 50th Anniversary. So… check back tomorrow.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It would absolutely make my day, even my month, if Bill comes through with an announcement that would make us happy.

If anything it seems there is a new transfer for wrath of khan. Nick Meyers comments seem to confirm this. Not sure what type of release though. I thought it would be for uhd only.

Looking forward to Friday's news!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If anything it seems there is a new transfer for wrath of khan. Nick Meyers comments seem to confirm this. Not sure what type of release though. I thought it would be for uhd only.
I'm just guessing but I'd say they'd almost have to release it on Blu-ray too. I'd think that the Blu-ray market is too big to ignore and the UHD market is currently too small to rely on. Plus, they've never re-released the Trek movies on Blu-ray (beyond repackaging them) so there'd be some demand for a new Blu-ray.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm just guessing but I'd say they'd almost have to release it on Blu-ray too. I'd think that the Blu-ray market is too big to ignore and the UHD market is currently too small to rely on. Plus, they've never re-released the Trek movies on Blu-ray (beyond repackaging them) so there'd be some demand for a new Blu-ray.

Agreed. They did a few new transfers for DVD as I recall. From the first release to the special editions some of the films had new transfers. So blu Ray makes sense. I agree.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot

Regardless of how they are done, I sure hope they release on Blu-ray too. I don't have, and am not in a position to do, UHD anytime soon. But, I'd get the Blu-rays as fast as I could. I don't have the current Blu-rays now except for TMP. All the rest are DVDs and Laserdiscs (and I can't play the Laserdiscs anymore).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Looking forward to Friday's news!
I hope it is all the movies available UHD and Star Trek Beyond also for a December release.
And while I'm dreaming, DS9, and Voyager on Blu-Ray:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks