What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Which means Sulu is a Klingon agent like Arne Darvin, because no prior episode, book or movie had presented this ship design before. And where was Sulu during "The Trouble With Tribbles" when the little fuzzies were outing Klingon spies with their screeching? Exactly. Not there! I rest my case.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jonathan Perregaux said:
Which means Sulu is a Klingon agent like Arne Darvin, because no prior episode, book or movie had presented this ship design before. And where was Sulu during "The Trouble With Tribbles" when the little fuzzies were outing Klingon spies with their screeching? Exactly. Not there! I rest my case.

Starfleet Intelligence got the design and distributed it amongst all ships...? :) SI isn't the most reputable organization out there (they do a lot of shady stuff), but there did know back in TOS Romulans were using Klingon ship designs. So it holds they might have known and carried the info forward.

(That's per Memory Alpha. I haven't watched The Enterprise Incident in forever and don't recall SI being mentioned specifically in the episode...)

LCD22

Screenwriter
Where are the Easter eggs located on The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection Blu-ray for First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis? I can only find info on the 2-disc DVDs.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'd really like to see some theatrical reissues for the anniversary next year.
I think the wrath of khan would make the most sense.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Osato said:
That's good. Very jealous that you were able to see it on a big screen. I have tz seen it theatrically since 1982.
The last time I saw STII was 1989 and wow way better than it was at the local, at the EMPIRE 1, London. The condition was good for picture and no soundtrack magnetic damage. expect for Star Trek IV when bird of prey nose dives towards the Golden Gate Bridge where there was mag damage loss of sound for about 20 or so seconds.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
There is very good podcasts on the tos trek films here:
http://www.missionlogpodcast.com

I'm listening to the original 79 episode ones now. Just finished where no man has gone before.
They are working through the tng series and I'm sure they will do those films when they finish...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Colour has faded

Hey andySu

The color might have been faded but I am sure it was still a treat to see Wrath Of Khan on 70mm film, I would have loved to been able to have the chance to see that the way you did.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Dave Moritz said:
Hey andySu

The color might have been faded but I am sure it was still a treat to see Wrath Of Khan on 70mm film, I would have loved to been able to have the chance to see that the way you did.
Well maybe from the Dolby Stereo six-track point if there was a few % of true listeners at that screening as I know that 70mm would kick sand in the face of bluray. The laserdisc is still and only the best way to listen to the film. I'd like the bluray to be prefect but it isn't. Even the DVD's are botched with same missing sound effect that can only be heard in German track, or keep the letterbox Laerdisc everyone bluray for Star Trek, is rubbish, Paramount pulled a fast one us grabbed our money and don't give a crap about doing it right otherwise they'd already done it with FREE pressings fixed and all mirrored imaged from colour to framing to soundtrack in 5.1 not 7.1 in the effort to sell old films over again.

Well I said I can remember how ST II sounded and felt at the Empire 1, 1989 in THX. So unless someone was taking an SPL db meter with them at the screening or a camera for some picture stills as no telling if it might have been last reel or a few or the whole print that had faded to pink. I hope that screening was $1.50 as its not worth $2.00 or more not with faded colour.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
(Besides, as we canonically see onscreen, it couldn't possibly be a one-of-a-kind, stolen Romulan vessel, since we get Sulu instantly -- literally in the space of about two seconds -- identifying it as a Klingon ship. ;) )

As I recall reading at the time the movie came out (I think it was a Starlog interview with Harve Bennett), Bennet said there was originally a line in the script that when the ship appeared on-screen, Sulu remarked, "well, that's proof the Klingons and Romulans are still working together."

I'm pretty sure Bennett said the reason this was cut was that he felt it was a bit too much of a "Johnny: the Explainer" sort of line (just an obvious piece of exposition).

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
The M&E mix for dubbed versions isn't necessarily the same for the original English.

I have a headache now from the runon sentences, where's McCoy with some Cordrazine when you need some.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
A question about TWOK:

I first saw TWOK in 1987-88 when we rented the VHS from the local store (didn't get to see many movies in the theater in those days, unfortunately). I cannot say I have the world's sharpest memory, but I almost swear I recall the opening titles of the film being yellow-orange, and not blue as all video versions and airings I've seen since have been. According to a number of sources, when the film first premiered there was no "II" in the title. Also, I've also heard that the initial home video (incl. Betamax, VHS and CED) printings were made using early prints that contained this version of the title. My question is, is this fact or just some myth? I can't remember the exact wording of the title as it appeared in my original viewing, but I do remember the titles being a different color.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks