Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Was just wondering the exact same thing when I saw those links. Own the Target 3-D version, but I'm willing to double-dip if the new standalone carries over all of the Compendium extras.
Right. I was thinking the same too.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
That's Valkris (Klingon spy) on the merchant ship.

They thought they would hide her Klingon heritage at the beginning of the scene with the veil and then have a dramatic reveal.

They decided it looked bad and snipped those shots.

If you look at the remaining footage in the scene---you can see the veil hanging down her front.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Camper said:
That's Valkris (Klingon spy) on the merchant ship.

They thought they would hide her Klingon heritage at the beginning of the scene with the veil and then have a dramatic reveal.

They decided it looked bad and snipped those shots.

If you look at the remaining footage in the scene---you can see the veil hanging down her front.
Interesting! I always noted you could see the bottom of the veil as you mentioned. It would be great to see the full scene as an extra.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
I have/had that storybook back in the day. It may still be at my parents house...with pages falling out...
The books were really not made well. Mine has been repaired a number of times. Most recently 2 years ago when I found it in storage.

Jason_V

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Osato said:
The books were really not made well. Mine has been repaired a number of times. Most recently 2 years ago when I found it in storage.
Without a doubt. I know pages from mine were/are falling out and, if you put them back in the wrong order, the story makes absolutely no sense. :) I always attributed book disintegrating in my hand to a really reckless child...good to know it wasn't just me. :lol:

Reactions: Osato

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Klingon heritage? HEhe, when I saw the, her cleavage is the only heritage I needed to see.

I don't think it was filmed, but the Bird of Prey, as per TOS canon, was original Romulan, there was a scene of the Klingon lord and his gang stealing it. I've always kacked at the new canon assertion that the Klingons have a bird of prey wessel.

Jonathan Perregaux

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I think Klingons have Birds of Prey due to their alliance with the Romulans. One presumes there would be a sharing of technologies and maybe even aesthetics (painted bird plumage underneath the ship).

However, I wonder why Klingons would still use Romulan-inspired "bird of prey" ship designs in the 24th century after their falling-out with the Romulans. Unless they forgot that it was a Romulan thing first? The Romulan emblem has a bird of prey with its talons grasping Romulus and Remus. It would be like if modern U.S. Naval ships painted hammer and sickle symbols on their ships because we were kinda-almost friends with the U.S.S.R. during World War II.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Jonathan Perregaux said:
I think Klingons have Birds of Prey due to their alliance with the Romulans. One presumes there would be a sharing of technologies and maybe even aesthetics (painted bird plumage underneath the ship).

However, I wonder why Klingons would still use Romulan-inspired "bird of prey" ship designs in the 24th century after their falling-out with the Romulans. Unless they forgot that it was a Romulan thing first? The Romulan emblem has a bird of prey with its talons grasping Romulus and Remus. It would be like if modern U.S. Naval ships painted hammer and sickle symbols on their ships because we were kinda-almost friends with the U.S.S.R. during World War II.
No the Bird of Prey from "Balance of Terror" was Romulan (the writer of that seminal episode based them on stuff his son was learning in school, namely the original the Roman Empre, the twin boys Romulus and Remus who were raised by a wolf, yada yada yada.... In "The Enterprise Incident," Kirk & co. "discovered" that they were trading technology with the Klingons when they were pounced on by 3 Klingon D7 battle cruisers upon entering the neutral zone.

In ST II TWOK, Klingon battle cruisers again appeared in the Neutral Zone in the Kobayashi Maru simulator (though the computer identified them as "three Klingon battle cruisers") ... an anomaly mandated by the low budget that required they reuse FX shots from ST TMP's opening scene.

Again, in ST III Lord GiveMeTheSecretOfGenesis stole a Romulan vessel prior to meeting the merchant ship (hence the Romulan cloaking tech, though this was supposed to be adapted to Klingon ships in "The Enterprise Incident.). It never made it into the finished film.

Yes, it's an anachonism that Klingons would have a shp with a Romulan style bird of prey painted on it. (Stiles talked about it in "The BAlance of Terror" as a fabled way to recognize Romulan shps.)

Reactions: benbess

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
Without a doubt. I know pages from mine were/are falling out and, if you put them back in the wrong order, the story makes absolutely no sense. :) I always attributed book disintegrating in my hand to a really reckless child...good to know it wasn't just me. :lol:
Nice. I feel like if the book was not a trek one it would've been thrown or recycled ages ago.

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
ChromeJob said:
In ST II TWOK, Klingon battle cruisers again appeared in the Neutral Zone in the Kobayashi Maru simulator (though the computer identified them as "three Klingon battle cruisers") ... an anomaly mandated by the low budget that required they reuse FX shots from ST TMP's opening scene.
The line is "Sensors indicate three Klingon cruisers bearing 3-1-6 mark 4, closing fast". The word "battle" is never spoken.

If you want to talk about TWOK getting terms wrong because of TMP reuse, you must talk about them constantly referring to "spacedock" while the footage is clearly TMP's drydock. We wouldn't see a spacedock until Star Trek III.

Neil

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Neil S. Bulk said:
If you want to talk about TWOK getting terms wrong because of TMP reuse, you must talk about them constantly referring to "spacedock" while the footage is clearly TMP's drydock. We wouldn't see a spacedock until Star Trek III.
Isn't that retroactively applying continuity, though? At the time, drydock and spacedock could've been synonyms for the dock. Once we actually got spacedock in STIII, then they could make the distinction. Using spacedock wasn't "wrong" until then.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I am continuing to read tomorrow is yesterday. Interesting that wise met with paramount and tried to delay the opening of the film until Easter 1980. Wow. I wonder how different the film would've been if they had proper post time.

As I recall there were several attempts to finish the film after it was in theaters.
I know in the directors cut they mention that they were able to finish a lot of the sound effects using the original intended 1979 elements!

Reactions: ChromeJob

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat