Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
I hope Paramount will honor Star Trek TOS by remastering the Directors Edition of The Motion Picture for blu ray! That is a must but I suppose it's possible they will simply repackage the existing blu rays. That would be a real shame.

What's the problem? I keep asking myself if the new younger people running the studio still has a misconception that the first film is still perceived as long and boring? You could say that about Kubrick's 2001. But that is not boring and neither is Star Trek The Motion Picture. Are there lingering issues still because so much of the costs of the movie are tied to the aborted Star Trek Phase 2 series? Almost everyone associated with producing the film are no longer with us. Some of the cast are no longer with us. So there must not be any issues with rights? So do they have issues with allocating any budget or time to remaster the film because they are concerned with the returns they'd get?

What can we do at the Home Theater Forum to raise the issue with Paramount? Or is there already a restoration/remaster in progress and we simply don't know about it? I suppose Kevin would say if there was a remaster in progress, they'd be letting the world know. I wish there was something that can be done to raise awareness the first film is a really significant film in the Star Trek portfolio. Just reading the post over at the Digital Bits will show how influential the film was, albeit that was a group of people in the film industry.

Reactions: Osato and benbess

Tony J Case

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
This has probably been anwsered already - but I dont realy want to read 130+ pages to find out. The other day I was organizing my shelves and got to the Trek films and went "Man, it's been forever since I saw them! I should put them on." and started wondering if they came out on blu.

I've currently got the 2 disc DVD versions with the silver border that came out around 2002 0r so. These guy:

So, is the blu a step up or step down? Should I just keep the old ones or did they sex up the new blu versions?

Reactions: Osato

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tony, the two disc DVD versions of I, II and VI contain directors cuts of the films that don't appear on the Blu-rays. The Blu-rays for III, IV, and V have the same versions of the films and same extras (with an extra commentary on the Blu, I believe). The Blu-rays only contain the theatrical versions for each of the films.

I have the Blu-ray set, but I also keep the DVD versions of I, II and VI handy.

Wayne_j

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Also The Wrath of Khan easily had the best transfer of all the original cast Trek films.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Wayne_j said:
Also The Wrath of Khan easily had the best transfer of all the original cast Trek films.
I know it goes against the grain but I disagree. I think it looks ok but then again I think most of the film's in this set look great. ;)

AndyMcKinney

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
I hope Paramount will honor Star Trek TOS by remastering the Directors Edition of The Motion Picture for blu ray! That is a must but I suppose it's possible they will simply repackage the existing blu rays. That would be a real shame.

What's the problem?
I think the problem is some of the new FX don't (didn't?) exist in HD.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
We understand that Andy. Paramount still has to re-render the new CGI effects at the higher resolution needed. I just have to wonder if the studio is reluctant to invest in that, or they don't feel the film is popular enough to invest in it, or if there is a misconception that most people don't like the film.

Tony J Case

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
Tony, the two disc DVD versions of I, II and VI contain directors cuts of the films that don't appear on the Blu-rays. The Blu-rays for III, IV, and V have the same versions of the films and same extras (with an extra commentary on the Blu, I believe). The Blu-rays only contain the theatrical versions for each of the films.

I have the Blu-ray set, but I also keep the DVD versions of I, II and VI handy.
Okay, since my OCD will demand matching spines, looks like I'll sit on any changes until they release the other three in awesome editions.

Ah, Paramount - not quite as bad as Harmony Gold, but man they are a studio without a clue. . . .

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Jason_V said:
Me too. Those are the only Trek movie DVD's I still have on the shelf.
I, as well, am down to 3 DVDs--Treks I, II and VI.

And I don't own those 3 on Blu-ray and I never will unless they release the Director's cuts.

AndyMcKinney

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
We understand that Andy. Paramount still has to re-render the new CGI effects at the higher resolution needed. I just have to wonder if the studio is reluctant to invest in that, or they don't feel the film is popular enough to invest in it, or if there is a misconception that most people don't like the film.
Oh, I suspect it's all the first (reluctant to pay for the upgrade on a pure economics level). I doubt it's anything to do with the film's perceived popularity or quality. It is well-known (especially to Paramount) that many Star Trek fans are completeists anyway, and would buy everything (including the IMO abysmal Star Trek V) to complete their set.

They know precisely how to milk Star Trek fans for every last penny, so Paramount isn't going to spend one thin dime on new masters any of the films until they're convinced that the majority of fans have already bought the current versions.

Am I being cynical? Yes, but I think Paramount's history with the Star Trek property goes along with this.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Well, Paramount did a very nice package for The Ten Commandments a few years ago. Included blu rays and DVD of the 1956 film and DVD of the silent version.

A nice box set of the DC Star Trek The Motion Picture would really be great.

I understand the cynicism, but I hope there are people at Paramount who understand the desire for the release of the Directors Cut.

Lord Dalek

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
There was really no reason they couldn't have done the DCs of II and VI on blu outside of laziness.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Lord Dalek said:
There was really no reason they couldn't have done the DCs of II and VI on blu outside of laziness.
Well they admitted as much to the Digitalbits.............

They made the initial Blu-ray release to coincide with the release of the 2009 Star trek movie (which had been delayed from November 2008 to summer 2009)

When asked why they didn't include the DCs of II and VI in the set the spokesperson said they were "unaware" that the DCs of those two were not "ready to go"

In other words--even with the six month delay in the release of the new movie and the additional time that should have given them to MAKE SURE the original movies were ready to be released with seamless branching of multiple cuts---they hadn't gotten off their butts and even done the minimum work to add the whopping 3 and 1/2 minutes of extra footage each DC contains.

We're not talking Troy, Kingdom of Heaven or Once upon a Time in America levels of added footage but a measly 3 minutes of footage, where the footage required was already known.

it wasn't like they weren't sure what bits of footage needed to be scanned at HD resolution--all they had to do was pull out the 2-disc DVDs and look.

That's lazy and cynical.

Reactions: AshJW and Osato

joshEH

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Lord Dalek said:
More likely it was cynical financial reasons -- as in, Paramount craves multiple bites at the apple by releasing the theatrical versions first, and then creating a pent-up demand for the extended editions by virtue of their absence.

By withholding the extended versions for several years, they then get to re-market the films all over again to an increasingly eager-to-buy audience, this time with the Director's Cut editions sweetening the deal..

As pointed out above, the total additional new footage between the two movies is (A) only minutes longer than the theatrical versions, but also (B) completely non-visual FX restoration-dependent (compared to the ST:TMP Director's Edition, which very much is).

We know from the HD versions released to Amazon that this extended footage has indeed already been rescanned in high-definition, but Paramount appears to be sitting on Blu-Ray releases of these editions until a marketing-suitable occasion presents itself (as in, next year's 50th Anniversary festivities, more likely than not).

When the remastering difficulties with the ST:TMP Director's Edition first made themselves apparent, very likely the decision was made by the Paramount Home Video execs to simply make the initial BD set just a straight-up "theatricals only" collection across the board, which would give them three brand-new extended versions to push in HD during a theoretical double-dip years later (not to mention more time to ponder whether the TMP Director's Edition is even worth doing at all).

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
The HD streaming version of Star Trek II Director's cut is the exact same transfer as the 2002 DVD release and while very nice to see--has too much dirt and defects, such as the "sprocket jump" when Kirk sits at the console watching the Genesis Tape, for it too be used for a Blu-ray transfer.

I fear they assume that they have milked the cow too much and any further releases would generate minimal sales.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freewheelinhippie