What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Worth said:
Well, that's an unorthodox opinion.
Back in April 2009 I was one of the first people to report on this as it was released in UK before US. I may have posted some screenshots its near the start right here. I cannot remember the timecode but a few parts of ST2 looked like DVD to me the image went very soft & non HD. As Lowry Digital worked on this I expected a near flawless release not a compromised budget restricted effort. It looked like someone went to sleep on the job!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/272874-star-trek-films-on-blu-ray-what-we-know-so-far/page-29#entry3437693
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/272874-star-trek-films-on-blu-ray-what-we-know-so-far/page-30#entry3438181
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/272874-star-trek-films-on-blu-ray-what-we-know-so-far/page-34#entry3441181

A lot depends on your equipment though. I used to have a 40" LCD HDTV now I have a 60" Plasma & 21:9 Ultra Wide Monitor. What looked good on a 40" LCD circa late 2000's looks inferior on newer displays as they show way more detail so notice the defects & 2 has a few defects which IMO should not be there considering the director + Lowry Digital worked on it.

This post here starts to touch on the issues from a technical angle:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/272874-star-trek-films-on-blu-ray-what-we-know-so-far/page-35#entry3442879
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=1877897#post1877897

The vast majority of 1-6 are as good as can be expected the sloppy issues & potential 1080i upscaling in places are why some people like me having invested so much over the years on Laserdisc, VHS, VHS-WS, DVD etc etc expected a little more back from Paramount.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Malcolm, you're absolutely entitled to your opinions. In this case, as we have seen in other threads, there are posters who disagree with your opinions. It doesn't mean that you cannot respect them. It means you disagree.

I completely understand the frustration many people feel with Paramount for not spending more time and effort on the HD releases of these movies. It's pretty clear to me that they did the minimum - albeit with a bit more time being given to Wrath of Khan. The big issue at the time in 2008 and 2009 was the recession - and it resulted in MAJOR scrimping, not just at Paramount. We can argue that Paramount should have revisited all these titles last year when they released the second reboot movie - but it's clear that the intent is simply to continue re-releasing the existing discs. From Paramount's perspective, they figure that people are still buying the 2009 discs, so why should they spend more money to make new ones? You and I may say it would be better in the long run, but that argument doesn't seem to be getting much purchase these days.

I'm delighted that some people have 100"+ and 120"+ projection displays. That's a real home THEATER. For myself, I'm satisfied with the 65" plasma. I realize with the larger screens, anything that's a smaller issue to me at my size is going to be magnified considerably when blown up to nearly twice that size. I noted as much in my review of the 2012 Blu-ray of The Sting, where I had terrible problems with it when watching on Joe Kane's projection setup. The problems are less egregious on my 65", but they're still noticeable. I believe a similar situation exists with some of the Star Treks, but for most of us, the Trek movies are still watchable and enjoyable, even with the unfortunate blue shift on Wrath of Khan.

It's interesting that we've debated how these movies look on extremely large screen setups, while at the same time some people in various threads will say that they'd rather just watch the old laserdisc of this or that movie. I shudder to think of what a laserdisc would look like projected in an HD system onto a 120" screen...

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
(Kevin EK)
"From Paramount's perspective, they figure that people are still buying the 2009 discs, so why should they spend more money to make new ones?"

I second that. When an item continues to sell very well, they usually keep it in print and don't bother bringing out a new edition, aside from maybe a repackaging.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Well if Paramount think the large number of people who bought the 2009 release are going to buy again without any new transfers I think they will be shocked how low the numbers will be the next time ;) I still think there is an older large core target audience for TOS movies who are quite knowledgeable about the end product they may not want to go to the cinema as often but still have the spending power (if its worth re-buying again that is!).

I could possibly see though them doing an STMPDE, ST4 with European prologue (would cost virtually nothing it already exists in film format & adds 3.5 mins running time just speak to Ralph Winter, Harve Bennett, Leonard Nimoy I doubt it needs any legal clearance as it already exists as a european theatrical release) & perhaps a long needed STV DE then that's about it but only sell as a 1-6 boxed set to maximise the revenue for a few more years then sell as singles.

Paramount should also redo the transfers with minimal DNR get someone who knows what they are doing this time & is prepared to not just do as they are told for a limited budget it will pay for itself many times over if you spend a little time/money especially when we are told on the grapevine the 2009 set was rushed out to meet the new movie.

Well please prove what you can do now Paramount you have the time & money obviously to do so much better for the 2016 anniversary. Its not logical to just repackage these again ;)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Watching STAR TREK IV THE VOYAGE HOME (1986) theatrical twice yesterday.

The warp speed time travel scene the seating was vibrating at a silly rate

10496029_10152616845070149_640120238748625360_o.jpg

Warp speed time travel waterfalls of the LFE.1

10513364_10152615213325149_1715813103792807432_n.jpg

Top waterfalls shows the whole scene when speeding towards the sun. Lower portion of waterfall is where it starts just after Bird of prey flies-by on left surround and LFE.1 slowly starts vibrating the seats just like the old Empire 1, '89 THX, only a bit more vibration.

16011_10152615217095149_6067419073134212694_n.jpg

Bottom part of the waterfall shows where the bird of prey reaches maximum acceleration speed and sling shots around the sun.

The gap between the bottom and top is where you see the aft end of the bird of prey when she successful makes it around the sun.
My seat and seat next me was vibrating with lows at ridiculous rate.

Lows reach down to 15Hz.

Directional sound effects even the fisherman sat beside the bay, when Kirk, Spock walk past the Golden Gate Bridge, I can hear the fishing reel line being cast out into the bay at around between 2.5 and 4KHz on stage right, while dialogue is loud and clear.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My Star Trek DVD Collection 7_2008_a.jpg

Currently while I would love to have all the Star Trek movies in HD and the SD DVD's are the only format I own these movies in. I am on the fence on weather or not I want to upgrade my Star Trek collection? I do have the reboot of the franchise on Bluray and I am happy with those and since they are newer films there is no reason for them not to look great. How ever Star Trek 1-10 I would love to own in 1080p with lossless audio, at some point but there are so many movies I do not own and money is very tight. I also need to upgrade my center channel and get a new tv stand so it will be awhile before I can justify getting all the Star Trek movies in HD.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Dave Moritz said:
attachicon.gif

Currently while I would love to have all the Star Trek movies in HD and the SD DVD's are the only format I own these movies in. I am on the fence on weather or not I want to upgrade my Star Trek collection? I do have the reboot of the franchise on Bluray and I am happy with those and since they are newer films there is no reason for them not to look great. How ever Star Trek 1-10 I would love to own in 1080p with lossless audio, at some point but there are so many movies I do not own and money is very tight. I also need to upgrade my center channel and get a new tv stand so it will be awhile before I can justify getting all the Star Trek movies in HD.
Do not sell your collection you'd be a fool to do so.

The Dolby TrueHD 7.1 on the STAR TREK is mess.

Also they where not released in 70mm Eight-Track Dolby Stereo. They where released as blow-up 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo.

The Dolby TrueHD 7.1 was just a marketing thing to sell old films over again.

STAR TREK The Motion Picture as few missing sound effect on stage left, and annoying effect added to Mr.Scott of screen stage right dialogue on the bridge intercom, just before Enterprise goes to warp speed.

STAR TREK II has some dialogue leaking into right surround during KHAN attack for a few seconds. You need Spock ears to detect it. Also it as piss poor calibrated colour. Also a single missing sound effect that is (only on the other language tracks) Or better on the laserdisc letterbox edition. Buy a Pioneer laserdisc player. :)

The Laserdisc and DVD are better in SD so all need is AVR with up scale, sorted. :thumbsup:

STAR TREK IV has some over boasted contrast that results with video poor picture quality that is distracting to a trained eye.

Look at the end scene of Enterprise leaving space dock and passing by the sun. The light should be pure white, but its been messed up on professional gear, professional gear! :blink: KEEP THE DVD its the best you'll see, get AVR with up-scale.

STAR TREK III has an annoying image shrinkage at the opening titles.

STAR TREK V dialogue panning is messed up at the start of the film. "I thought weapons was forbidden on this planet" its coming from the centre :blink: (when it should be panned to stage right) even I detected all the pans when first saw the film in 70mm Dolby Stereo, at the old Empire 1, LSq, may it rest in peace now. :(

STAR TREK VI. I'd just not waste your money. You'd be better of shoplifting them rat6her than giving Paramount Pictures bluray any money. Since Paramount robbed us paying consumers, they should be ashamed themselves. :angry:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Despite what some people say about the current Star Trek Blu rays qualities, most will agree they look and sound BETTER than the DVD's and Laserdiscs.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I play perfect Laserdisc with image so golden bright and clear on the colours.
bluray parmount sucks at quality control. :thumbsdown:

Laserdisc Paramount the winner, :thumbs-up-smiley:

Dave, keep your DVD. I swear on my cats nine lives the bluray SUCKS! The format specs for the format are okay they just get abused by studios so we poor suckers buy them and end up owning a Lemon.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So, Andy, you think MOST people think the DVDs and Lasers look and sound better than the blu's ???Let's ask. Who here agrees with Andy? I'm actually curious.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Dave, STAR TREK laserdiscs colour beats the bluray with quick glimpse, bluray star trek fails. I was really disappointed with it. Glad I kept the Pioneer laserdisc player.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Dave Moritz said:
attachicon.gif

I know money is tight Dave and you have other priorities, so my suggestion is to wait it out. Sooner or later Paramount will reissue all of these remastered hopefully with the DC of STTMP.

Or you can go spend hundreds of dollars to buy them on an outdated format. Your choice. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks