What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (2 Viewers)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Really Nelson?? I loved Generations..seeing the tng cast on the big screen was great. I know you know who's death was poorly handled but otherwise a fine film with great effects and good performances.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'll say it again .. STTMP is my favorite of the original films..yes even more than TWOK.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
TMP is a great movie, and remains the only Star Trek film (out of the original ten) with a truly cinematic feel. I also like it more every time I see it. It also has, hands down, the best movie poster of all the Trek films, and among the best in all of science fiction.

I don't think TFF is a good movie, but I can find more to like in it than in Generations, Insurrection or Nemesis, which gets my vote for the worst Trek film by several thousand light years.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The thing that struck me about TMP from the first time I saw it as a kid and to this day, is how they built the story without a real villain, and how they portrayed the unknowable. There's tension and danger but there's no single "bad guy", there's no enemy for the Enterprise to shoot torpedoes at, no one for Kirk to do his patented jumpy leg kick thing at. So of course, at the age of 8, this was all very boring. I fell in love with "2001: A Space Odyssey" when I was about 11 or 12, and when I saw TMP again sometime after that, that's when I realized how much great stuff was going on in it. I love that it's a movie without a humanoid villain. I love the epic feel - the stakes are much higher than usual for Star Trek, and you see it in everyone's actions and reactions. I love that it's ultimately a threat that we discover we had something to do with - we sent out a probe to explore, with the best intentions, and it still comes back to haunt us - and then the crew of the Enterprise is able to solve the mystery anyway. I love the old school effects, which seem vast and large and have a scale and scope that I don't feel with most CGI work. I love science fiction, and what sucks to me is that so much of what comes out today that's labeled science fiction doesn't feel anything like it to me. For better or worse, most big sci-fi movies these days end up with either a battle scene with large vehicles trying to blow each other up, and/or the main character defeating the bad guy in a fist fight. There's none of that in TMP.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree with the comments above, the motion picture has such an epic feel greatly helped by Jerry Goldsmiths amazing music score, i have been holding out from buying it until they release the directors cut on blu ray, i will continue to hold out for that day.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Star Trek Generations, I just think it was a very poor first outing for TNG. Plus adding the TOS cast to help as a send off wasn't necessary, though Moore and Braga weaves the crews together yes. And the already mentioned death, I don't accept. It has everything every TNG movie had to do ever since The Wrath of Khan, destruction of ships and lots of space battle action. I love space action stuff, but TNG was best on the small screen and thinking their way out. Same with the TOS crew.First Contact might have been a better first outing, it has everything the studio probably wanted, the Borg and some good space battles. You guys have already mentioned everything I've always liked about Star Trek The Motion Picture. So let's see the DC come out ASAP! ( I feel like I am back in high school where I wrote Star Trek Lives on the black boards now that I keep littering threads with my hope TMP high def remaster of the DC comes out soon! ). :).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh Generations...most of the problems, I think, go back to timing. Paramount basically rushed the movie into theaters instead of giving the cast and crew time to decompress from the series. The premise itself is sound enough. It's the execution that's lacking, the unimaginative "enhancing" of the sets, the combination of uniforms, the feeling we've seen everything that happened in the movie before. Coming off of All Good Things..., Generations had to be better. It had to be grander, with scope and repercussions. And it simply wasn't.

It's just tired. Think of Patrick Stewart, who went from directing the penultimate episode of the series (Pre Emptive Strike) to being in just about every scene in All Good Things... to being under a bigger microscope in Generations. Yes, there's the story where he snapped are reporters on the set during the final episode. Can you blame him?

The increased production time would have enabled the whole uniform fiasco to be sorted out, the screentime and roles for Crusher and Troi to be expanded and Soran to be more fleshed out. We wouldn't have the insipid explanation for the changes to the Enterprise (which we saw every week for seven years)...someone said the ship always looked that way...we just couldn't see it on the small screen.

It was a missed opportunity all around.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
FoxyMulder said:
I agree with the comments above, the motion picture has such an epic feel greatly helped by Jerry Goldsmiths amazing music score, i have been holding out from buying it until they release the directors cut on blu ray, i will continue to hold out for that day.
Same here. I felt the ST:TMP was the last serious, thoughtful, big-budget studio SF film. (Some may cite BLADE RUNNER and the SOLARIS remake, but one is earthbound and the other is contained). The only chance there MIGHT be for the a Blu-Ray of the DC is maybe during the 50th anniversary year (2016)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
RJ992 said:
Same here. I felt the ST:TMP was the last serious, thoughtful, big-budget studio SF film. (Some may cite BLADE RUNNER and the SOLARIS remake, but one is earthbound and the other is contained). The only chance there MIGHT be for the a Blu-Ray of the DC is maybe during the 50th anniversary year (2016)
I don't know. This year is the 35th anniversary of ST:TMP's release.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Okay, so imagine Netflix gets the new series. Remember the absolute anger/consternation/pain that a lot of fans had when different retailers had different VAM for STID and some of the TV releases? Now magnify that. Not just once or twice. Magnify it by ten times. That's what will happen. People who don't have the money to get Netflix streaming will be angry. People who don't want Netflix streaming will be angry. People who have Netflix streaming will be angry because of the massive slowdown in service.

Arrested Development, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards...none of them will tax the Netflix servers like Trek. I don't think they're ready for it. And knowing the Netflix PR machine (ie. Quikster), they're going to botch it up.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Update from the link above. Update: Nemecek has posted a rebuttal of the original report, saying he never stated there were ongoing talks about a new Trek series on Netflix. Apparently there have been “overtures” in the past, but as far as he knows nothing is happening right now.DAnd from Larry himself:As we know by now, Netflix has changed the TV/media landscape yet again by becoming a platform of clout with original shows like House of Cards and Orange Is the New Black—popular not only with fans, but critics...and now the award shows. It's in Netflix's interest to be casting about for new shows—including those from known franchises. I understand Star Trek is one of them—especially as Trek's 737 hours of "reruns" performs as a top draw ON Netflix. As I understand it, there have been overtures. But none taken. So far.That's it, guys. I appreciate the pedestal, of sorts, but this excitable blogger makes it sound as if show budgets and writer's guides for a done-deal Trek series are already floating around in CBS offices. Maybe they are—but not to my knowledge. We all know plenty of people in private and public have pitched show concepts and formats—and on a "channel" that makes financial and distributional sense. And, we do know that one good way to help get Star Trek back is to keep those Netflix viewer "ratings" tickers clicking right along marathon-style, as a barometer, to reveal any and all Trek shows being watched. But inertia and the unanswered questions of who, what, when, where, and how much have, so far, won out. Sadly.Oh—and someone also needs to tell this "reporter" that Star Trek Communicator is not a current thing.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting news. What would be much more interesting is if the discussion in the Star Trek Enterprise blu-ray were to come true.In the round table discussion Brannon Braga has with the cast, he says he's heard that many people were saying how shows were being made for Netflix and that some fans were hoping that the series could have its fifth season done for Netflix. Braga heard the series is doing well on Netflix. So if the numbers are really big enough, perhaps it could be made. The cast seemed willing. Though Bakula now has his CSI series on. Maybe he could do both. Perhaps the rumor started there?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think it will never go beyond rumor stage. And there will definitely never be a 5th season of Enterprise. All just wishful thinking IMO.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I watched Into Darkness for the first time since seeing it in the theater. It was ok, but there is just something lacking about it for me. At times it felt like I was rewatching the first film, which I enjoyed a great deal.

I hope they really mix it up and come up with a more conventional Trek story for the next one.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Tino said:
I think it will never go beyond rumor stage. And there will definitely never be a 5th season of Enterprise. All just wishful thinking IMO.
Yeah, agreed. That ship (ENT S5) has sailed, no pun intended. If this were 2005 or maybe 2006, there would be a shot. But everyone has moved on. The sets are gone. I'd wager most/all of the costumes are gone. The show is expensive to make, more than anything Netflix has in its stable right now. It would be a logistical and economical nightmare.

The only way it could work is if CBS went halfsies with Netflix on the budget and I haven't heard they're even remotely interested.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Certainly you guys are right about Enterprise. I've seen the costumes and props sold at auction. But I would venture to guess if Netflix really is serious about another Star Trek series, it would be expensive still. They are still starting from scratch.Of course the fan made films have very respectable looking TOS sets. With a little minor upgrades from the experts such as the Okudas to the sets and some modest budgets, those sets could be used for a new series. Just tossing the idea out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks