What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Whatever their ratings were matters little. What matters is being able to sell a Star Trek series in HD to cable stations, Netflix, etc. The brand alone makes the shows more valuable than another sci-fi show.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
To be fair to all the various series, the ratings did decline from TNG through the spinoffs to Enterprise, where the numbers were finally low enough that there was serious doubt about even their 4th season happening. We should remember that TNG and DS9 were in direct syndication. TNG did great numbers in that, even in its final season. Biggest numbers I believe were for the original pilot and for "Unification" with Spock, but the regular numbers were quite good too. Enough that they were willing to bankroll a second spinoff series with DS9. DS9 started with higher numbers, but came down a bit from there. As a result, they spent several seasons trying to find a hook that would get more viewers interested. In the second seaons it was the slow burn revelation of "The Dominion" as a potential problem before they announced themselves in the season finale. In the fourth season, it was the sudden Klingon War and the addition of Michael Dorn. And so on.

With Voyager and Enterprise, the situation was a bit different. Voyager was the flagship show of the United Paramount Network, and when it started, it was built up with heavy promotion from the end of TNG and the Generations movie. Like DS9, Voyager started with higher numbers and soon fell. By 3 seasons in, they were looking for some kind of a new hook there as well - hence the inclusion of the Borg. During the 4th season, Voyager began doing big "event" 2-part episodes as a way to generate more interest, such as "Dark Frontier" and "Year of Hell". Some of these were pretty good. With the end of Voyager in 2001, UPN expected Berman and Braga to deliver a new series that was a lot fresher and thus able to draw in a lot of new viewers. Enterprise unfortunately did not live up to that promise, as Braga himself admits in the materials on the Blu-rays. As they admit, the ratings started pretty good for "Broken Bow" but fell off from there and simply never recovered. Ironically, people that worked on the show in the 4th season, when Manny Coto took over a lot of the writing, said that if they'd done the shows of the final season in the first year, they might well have kept the audience.

I'd agree that the disenchantment with the Berman regime also involved the fizzling of Nemesis. But it was really a combination of everything. Berman had held the reins for nearly 18 years when they finally let his situation expire. He had had multiple opportunities to try new things and come up with some fresh material, but each succeeding series wound up looking and feeling very similar to the ones that had preceded it. DS9 was a little more off the path, but it still made use of the same basic look, generic scoring, plotting styles. You knew if you tuned into these shows what kind of adventure you were likely to see. DS9 took more chances at times than the others, but it still fit within the mold of Berman's Star Trek.

I would also agree that burnout was involved, due to the sheer weight of all that Star Trek being presented - most of it looking very similar to each other. Not all of it was that good - I'd argue that Insurrection sadly resembles a fairly lightweight TNG episode at times. I thought they tried to take some chances with Nemesis but those clearly didn't work out as well as they'd hoped.

I would agree that JJ Abrams new movies under the banner have brought in many younger viewers who would not have been that familiar, if at all, with TOS or even TNG. So those crowds are being introduced to the idea of this universe through the Abrams movies alone. It's likely that many of them have indeed picked up some of the Blus of the earlier material along the way, their interest having been triggered by the Abrams movies. I agree that having new interest in Trek is a good thing. I just wonder at the version of Trek they're getting. Granted, I don't think it would help anything to just do another Berman series with the same look, feel, music, plots, etc. We've been there, done that. But I do think that Star Trek is a lot more interesting than the way Abrams has presented it. He's certainly added a lot of sizzle. I just wish he'd included more of the heart of the show.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Sam, I think you're right that the ratings numbers from 1997 don't mean that much when we're talking about Blu-ray sales in 2013. If we tried to base things just on the numbers, TOS would be looked at quite differently.

But I also must say that I haven't seen the kind of groundswell of interest in either DS9 or Voyager since those series ended that we have seen with TOS and even with TNG. That's why I think of the first two series as perennials - they always come back up. DS9 and Voyager were a step or two removed, and while they did fine for their time, I don't know that stations are looking to run just any Star Trek show these days - particularly not when there are so many other sci-fi shows competing for attention.

I'll say again that I'd be very happy to see CBS agree to sponsor Blu-rays of DS9 and Voyager. I'd certainly purchase them. I just don't know if there's enough general sales interest in them to motivate that large of a project. And that said, I admit I was wrong about TNG - I never thought CBS would spend the time and money to do what they've done with TNG. And here we are, with five seasons already completed.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't think justification for doing the blu-rays should or will be based only on blu-rays sales. The studio has to also be considering the potential sales of syndicating the series now and in the future. If you think of the cost of transferring to HD, and then consider the avenues of potential profit, there is more involved than simply how many units of blu-ray sets they can sell. DS9 and Voyager currently gain CBS nothing; nor will they if they sit on the shelf in SD. All studios want to monetize their catalog. So the question is: Is the investment to upgrade these shows worth what CBS can make through blu-ray sales and syndication/streaming sales? I bet it is.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I liked DS9 but I just don't see it being syndicated again or making it to Blu but I hope it does for those that want it. I remember how hard it was just trying to see the final season of DS9 because only one station in the Atlanta area was carrying it and the time wasn't great. I think the big problem for DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise is that they created giant multi-season arcs to keep the viewership going that make it difficult to syndicate now where the episodes might be shown in any order. TOS and most TNG episodes are quite standalone.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Chuck Anstey said:
I liked DS9 but I just don't see it being syndicated again or making it to Blu but I hope it does for those that want it. I remember how hard it was just trying to see the final season of DS9 because only one station in the Atlanta area was carrying it and the time wasn't great. I think the big problem for DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise is that they created giant multi-season arcs to keep the viewership going that make it difficult to syndicate now where the episodes might be shown in any order. TOS and most TNG episodes are quite standalone.

Voyager did not. There was a string of episodes in S2 that shared a common subplot, culminating in a single episode (Investigations). There were recurring characters and ongoing situations, but certainly not any giant multi season arcs. You can watch any episode of Voyager without knowing what came before and be AOK.

The item you mentioned about DS9 is a symptom of the show being in first run syndication and isn't indicative of the quality. In Houston, DS9 was shown at 8 pm on a Tuesday night. In Michigan, it was 7 pm Sunday. That was an issue with the local channel, not the show.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Osato said:
I wish there was an update on the plans for the films. I do think we will see something in 2016 for the Trek 50th anniversary.
I'll wait patiently, sure wish it was sooner though, i'm kinda hoping 4K takes off as it will mean Paramount must invest in new 4K scans of all the films rather than re-use the old recycled and dated scans they currently have used for all but film number 2.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I'll say it again------at this point I would be extremely grateful if paramount just confirmed that there was an Director's Cuts release on the horizon---even if that horizon is two years off.

They have repeatedly blown out the sets and individual films and I can't imagine they have too much stock of the old releases to worry about.

They could announce new restorations for 1, 3-6 and even ask fans to give suggestions for extras. They'd get a lot of requests for out-takes and deleted scenes, but who knows, perhaps a truly original idea might come of it.

Besides the deleted scenes, I'd most like to have commentaries by the surviving regulars and even some of the guest stars--- Catherine Hicks, Christopher Lloyd, Stephen Collins, Lawrence Luckinbill, Kirstie Alley, Judson Scott (or at least interviews)etc.

Isolated scores, a copy of the Wrath of Khan rough cut that resides at the UCLA film school that I was lucky enough to see two summers ago (that contains literally hundreds of changes from the other two released cuts), more storyboards, more TV spots/trailers, Maybe even a full blown making of documentary of a couple of the movies with the evolution of say, Treks 1 and 2 covering the script progressions, casting, picking directors, finding composers,

If they did a complete restoration, along with true "Ultimate Package" they would build the excitement to the eventual release and probably improve sales as well.

People say they are happy with the versions they have, but a lot of times it is hard not to give in to a truly exceptional comprehensive release--especially tied to a 50 year anniversary of such an iconic piece of TV/Movie/Cultural history.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
It's good to see all of the intelligent reflections here about the many incarnations of Trek. I have a few thoughts on various topics to add.

First, a request: I'm looking for a good short article that explores the influences that Star Trek has had on real world technology. For example, I've heard that the communicators of 1966 helped inspire the small cell phones of the early 1990s. I've also heard that the small computer PADDs found on Star Trek in the 1990s help inspire the iPad of 2010. I'm hoping for more than just a shallow article that says that this seems to have happened, but a piece that actually interviews some engineers and scientists and shows more of a direct connection and inspiration.

Second, like the rest of you, I really want an HD director's cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I want that for all of the movies, but the first one is by far the most important to me and to many other fans as far as I can tell.

Third, a page or so back there was an article posted by Nelson Au about the slowly declining ratings of the various Treks by Greg Fuller. The article, from 1999, says this at one point: "TNG was born with a silver spoon in its mouth, DS9 and Voyager had to fight their way up." I guess I see it as almost the other way around. TNG had a difficult launch and first two years before settling in during the 3rd season. DS9, in contrast, had a longer and more lavish gestation, and a more ambitious and expensive premiere episode, in terms of effects, sets, concepts, and characters. A big chunk of the huge profits from TNG were really plowed into this show. I'm a big fan of DS9, but I'd call that the silver spoon. The first two years were bumpy for DS9 as it found its footing, but it really developed into a solid show. I think the last season of DS9 is the best final season of any of the Treks. Voyager had an even more lavish launch, with the most expensive premiere episode (c. $20 million) in television history iirc. I think Voyager was the most consistent of all of the Treks, because for me it started out strong and stayed strong to the end. It maybe didn't have quite the highs of TNG or DS9, but it didn't have the the low dud episodes that especially plagued TNG. So, obviously, I'm a fan of all the shows, but it seems to me that DS9 and Voyager really were the ones born with silver spoons more than TNG.

Fourth, Kevin EK has posted some very good essays, and I'd like to quote one passage from one of them that I mostly agree with, but would just like to elaborate on a little bit. Here's what Kevin wrote:

"Berman had held the reins for nearly 18 years when they finally let his situation expire. He had had multiple opportunities to try new things and come up with some fresh material, but each succeeding series wound up looking and feeling very similar to the ones that had preceded it. DS9 was a little more off the path, but it still made use of the same basic look, generic scoring, plotting styles. You knew if you tuned into these shows what kind of adventure you were likely to see. DS9 took more chances at times than the others, but it still fit within the mold of Berman's Star Trek. "

This is all true imho, but I see it a little more positively. The music was definitely too bland too much of the time. Hearing the composers say how frustrating it was how Berman asked for bland wallpaper music for almost every episode was almost a tear your hair out moment.

But I feel like DS9 did move away from the TNG formula is significant ways, including: DS9 was grittier and less idealized; DS9 had more continuing plot arcs; DS9 allowed the characters to have more conflicts with each other and more flaws; and finally, the more fixed setting of DS9 meant the consequences of last week's episode were still there with you, rather than hundreds of light years behind.

And yet, as Kevin more or less says, it was still really Star Trek. But to me, that's what still makes these programs relevant today. Even as grim as DS9 got at times, it was still about a multi-ethnic, multicultural, problem-solving group of people. It was essentially optimistic, rather than dystopian. So much of sci fi from the 1950s to the 21st century is about pessimistic portrayals of the future, rather than positive and problem-solving visions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although Berman was maybe a bit formulaic in his vision from above, he did allow flexibility, as long as it didn't degenerate into the almost nihilistic sordidness of what sci fi can become without that kind of vision--which to me is what the new BSG became. BSG was compelling, but it was so sordid and at times non-sensical that I'm unlikely to ever watch it again. Star Trek, to me and many others, is unique in the sci fi tv world because of its replay value.

Final point. I feel very mixed about JJA's Trek, but one thing I'm thrilled about: new fans are being brought in. Just in the last few days a new fan of TOS, drawn to buy the blu-rays because of the new movies it seems, has been posting positive little reviews at blu-ray.com about the first few episodes of Trek from 1965-66. The fact that a show that old can still get a new fan who is probably in his 20s is a very good thing from my point of view. I think some of these other new fans will also discover TNG, DS9, and Voyager, which with all their flaws still to me represent intelligent action-adventure science fiction from a tolerant and problem-solving point of view that's not all that common in the 21st century....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nice post Ben. Not much to add regarding the spin-off series. Regarding the effect of the Abramsverse Star Trek, I was reading an interview with Marc Cushman who is promoting his book, These Are The Voyages, chronicling the Original Series through his research of materials, writings and memos and interviews left by Gene Roddenberry and the creative staff. He said his son, upon seeing the Abrams film, was interested enough to check out TOS and told his father he gets what he's doing and writing about Star Trek. And another interview where the interviewers tell Cushman how her friend who never saw TOS before, started to watch it after the Abrams movie. Her reaction was that she could believe Shatner was the captain, and not so much Pine. And here's a cool piece of Star Trek history, the original Enterprise model is 49:http://startrekauction.blogspot.com/2013/12/original-enterprise-model-turns-49.html

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Nelson Au said:
Nice post Ben. Not much to add regarding the spin-off series. Regarding the effect of the Abramsverse Star Trek, I was reading an interview with Marc Cushman who is promoting his book, These Are The Voyages, chronicling the Original Series through his research of materials, writings and memos and interviews left by Gene Roddenberry and the creative staff. He said his son, upon seeing the Abrams film, was interested enough to check out TOS and told his father he gets what he's doing and writing about Star Trek. And another interview where the interviewers tell Cushman how her friend who never saw TOS before, started to watch it after the Abrams movie. Her reaction was that she could believe Shatner was the captain, and not so much Pine. And here's a cool piece of Star Trek history, the original Enterprise model is 49:http://startrekauction.blogspot.com/2013/12/original-enterprise-model-turns-49.html
I just bought that book by Cushman. One of the best Trek books ever. Filled with info I never knew before. Especially like all the Nielsen ratings. Shows today would kill for those ratings and shares. It's available at Amazon btw. Can't wait for volumes 2&3.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I really like how we're discussing various aspects of Trek here, very calmly and intelligently. :)

The one thing I would say about Ben's epic post (and it's a good one!) is that Berman had relatively little to do with DS9. In the first two years, yes, he did. As a co-creator and exec producer, he did handle the reins of the show. But once Ira Behr took over and the writing staff fell into place (Robert Hewitt Wolfe until the end of S5, Bradley Weddle, Ron Moore, David Thompson, Hans Beimler, etc.), Berman was pretty hands off. I don't think he has a single writing or co-writing credit on DS9 outside of "Emissary" and "The Maquis" in S2 (which was essentially a Voyager set up story).

He was much more hands on, story wise, with TNG, VOY and ENT. I will always believe this allowed Behr to basically do what he felt was right in the DS9 world without the "handcuffs" someone like Berman would have put on him. Berman had to approve stories and gave notes on everything, but I never got the feeling he was as involved with DS9 as he was with any of the other shows.

Christian P

Stunt Coordinator

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You guys buying the Cushman book now are at a great advantage! The book was very recently updated with new material for 80 more pages of new information! Plus a new cover design.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just bought the updated version. Will give my current one to my brother who will love it. Thanks for the info guys. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks