What's new

Star Trek Feature Film Series Packaging (1 Viewer)

Joey Prats

Auditioning
Dear friends in the Star Trek (and DVD) Community,

I just have one sentiment regarding the packaging of the Star Trek feature films (Director's Edition and Special Collector's Edition) on DVD: They are so INCONSISTENT. I think Paramount needs to know how disappointed a lot of us are about these small inconsistencies. I wrote Paramount a letter regarding this concern. Here's an excerpt:

General Fan Comments and Suggestions:
·Why were Star Trek 3, 4, 5, and 6 released as Special
Collector’s Editions and not Director’s Editions, like
Star Trek 1 and 2. As collectors, we highly value the
Director’s Edition DVDs, simply because the films are put
together the way the directors intended them to be seen.
It would have been better if all the films just had one
uniform edition, either DE or CE.

·The studio should standardize the Star Trek feature film
series’ release on DVD. They should ALL be called either
Director’s Edition or Special Collector’s Edition, and not
a mixture of the two terminologies. I agree. It would look
better when the films are all displayed side by side. It
would give the feature films more cohesion and unity. The
packaging should also be standardized. At this point, Star
Trek 1 basically has a gold packaging, Star Trek 2 to 6
has a gray / silver packaging.

·The studio is becoming negligent in terms of putting
together these films on DVD. From the terminologies used
to the artwork of the DVDs. A good example would be the
general complaint on Star Trek VI, Disc 2, where the
excelsior is printed upside down. Also, in the Star Trek
Nemesis DVD’s inside sleeve, Captain Picard is shown
wearing the uniform he wore on the television series, not
the movies! Not to mention the picture of Captain Kirk
from Star Trek 3 appearing on the back cover of Star Trek
2. The fans are really upset by this.

If you ask me, Paramount got to a great start with Star Trek: The Motion Picture. They should revise Star Trek 2 to 6 to create a more unified look for the collection. If they patterned all the films after ST:TMP with its gold spine, I think it will make the collection look terrific.

Joey

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
I am entirely satisfied with this collection. Without getting into a flame war or anything, Terminology like "Director's Edition" vs. "Collector's Edition" mean nothing if the director was satified with the theatrical cut or was otherwise involved with the picture's rerelease (6). I'm sure there are tons of threads on here lauding the new releases in comparison to the old ones; I look forward to the TNG releases. :)

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I agree, The term "Director's Edition" should only be used if the director was forced or pressured to change the movie to something he/she wasn't planning to release and then allowed to make the version they wanted in the first place.

I can see being upset that they changed the packaging from Gold to Silver. But I don't think it's a big enough deal to write paramount about, I would just find an alternative DVD cover and print it out.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
Good grief, does it really matter that the first two are called "Director's Editions" and the latter four aren't?

No, Joey, I'm afraid it's just you who's upset. Everyone else is, at best, peeved. ;)

As for the packaging, it has been standardised since Star Trek II, and there's a perfectly good replacement cover for TMP over at dvdcoverart. Makes them appear pretty unified to me, and I'm a spine-geek (I've concocted replacment spines for the 'Doctor Who' DVDs and later videos, to match the earlier design of video spines).

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
There were no director's cuts of III or IV - Nimoy stated that there was no additional material that warranted re-insertion into the film - the cut presented in theaters and home video is the one he wanted. Therefore, the title of "special edition" is more appropriate.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator

I thought it was the Excelsior at first, too. However, several users at trekweb.com pointed out that it is, in fact, the Enterprise-B from Generations. That makes it an even bigger booboo.

My Amazon.com copy is one of those crappy white cases as well. I'll probably switch it eventually, but mine are all in an enclosed case at the moment and not on display.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Let us not be too rough on the guy fellows. After all we each have had something upset us that rolled off other people's back.

I was a little disappointed by certain points as well. I am sure quite a few us are bothered actually at different levels and for different things.

I SO don't mind that they are not all DEs since not all were re-visited and modified by the director. Heck as stated by Mike, Nimoy is happy with 3 and 4 as is. However I WISH 5 HAD been since Shatner DID want to re-visit. 6 should have been called DE since it was NOT the theatrical release or even the previous video release. See now THAT bothers a little.

Yes I know I can download or even make my own cover for TMP but why should I? it's a hassle and I wish the studio had thought it through before changing color on the spine. And if they had to change then THEY should offer an exchange. Just print a few, not EVERYONE would want a replacement cover. Heck let's face it, real anal geeks (like myself) who would go to the trouble of e-mailing or calling for a replacement would range at under 10%.

Errors like the pics on disk and cover are just plain sloppy and to me shows there isn't enough interest for them to set up good quality control.

HOWEVER. When you put these issues on the scale next to the fact that all are re-released enhanced for 16:9 TV(finally for 5,6 and soon Generations) with great PQ, Audio AND commentary AND a 2nd disc FULL of interesting features and old and new interviews... ALL AT A LOWER PRICE THAN THE ORIGINAL NON S.E. ONE DISK MOVIE ONLY DVDs!

Can I REALLY complain? no sir... as a matter of fact this got me in the mood for Trek now... I am off to put in my Trek 2 DVD where we KNOW that was Scotty's nephew...

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!! (add your own echo)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The only real "Director's Edition" was the first one, The Motion Picture. The Trek II disc is essentially the "Special Longer Version" shown on television. TMP was a case of the director finally completing a movie. That's one of the reasons I love the gold packaging of that one. It deserves to stand out from the rest.

Neil

Roger_R

Second Unit
The only problem I had was the white cover of ST6 and the upside down picture on the second disc. I think the first movie looks fine with the rest.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I have no problem at all with Joey's letter to Paramount, and he shouldn't be treated so harshly or rudely. He is obviously quite passionate about his feelings, and I have to agree with him on most points. The fact that they aren't all Director's Cuts is not a concern to me, though Star Trek V certainly should have been (at least as much at The Motion Picture. If you look closely, despite the fact that 2 through 6 are silver cover designs, even the spines of them don't completely match. The disc art on Star Trek 6, disc 2, the white cases (which I happen to own) for ST6 and the lack of an insert for only that release are, to me, very shoddy, poor and quite frankly, a bit insulting.

So Joey, keep voicing your concerns. If others don't have the same problems you do with the movies, then allow them to be content with what they have. But you keep your voice and keep using it. One day, you and others like you, just might make the difference.

Jimmy M

Second Unit
I too have no problems with the DVDs, despite one gold spine and one white box. My main concern is with the movies themselves.

That being said, I also think Joey shouldn't have people come down on him as hard as people have been. Sure, maybe all the fans weren't upset by the packaging, but he never claimed that they all were. :)

Jimmy!

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Joey makes some good points - think about it, if fans don't make up the bulk of the customers for this series, then who does?

My minor complaint has to do with the way the orignal Trek movie series (after it was completed) was then boxed as a set for sale.

I just wish Paramount would offer consumers who already purchased the movies individually a way to buy the empty set box afterwards so they can also complete the whole package. (Same thing with the first season of "I Love Lucy.") I would be more than happy to pay any reasonable cost and shipping fee, as I am sure more than a few others are.

For those of us who buy any series of DVDs up front, or can only afford to buy titles one at a time, it would be a nice thing to offer these boxes to complete our sets. (The Anime people seem to understand this.)

I had the same problem with the Bond discs, and thankfully ebay came to the rescue - some folks were breaking up sets this past holiday season to sell some of the titles individually. No such luck on Lucy or Trek though.

If anyone knows a way to obtain these boxes let me (and others here) know!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I am perfectly happy with each Star Trek re-release. Each transfer has a good transfer for its age and sound equally well. The extras are good too. I have each movie on my shelf and they look great together. :)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I consider my self a big fan of Star Trek and I have a lot of respect for the members who have so much enthusiasm for this cause, but that list will probably not help dispel the notion that ST fans are total obsessive geeks, at least in Paramount's eyes. And PS, I count myself among the geeks...

Sorry if I offend anyone-just a random thought.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

That may or may not be true, but Paramount also realizes those total obsessive geeks has given Paramount its most lucrative franchise . . . EVER. No other franchise (including The Godfather and Indiana Jones) has earned Paramount as much money as Star Trek through its various films, television series and licensing). I'm quite sure that Paramount is very happy to have those total obsessive geeks around.

Dave H,

I have to agree with you on the picture and sound quality, and the extras (for the most part), as long as you don't count the extras from Star Trek 2 and maybe 3 (can't quite remember now). Those interviews looked like they were shot by the Mayberry R. F. D. Advanced Placement Class. As someone who works in television, those interview pieces were a total embarrassment. I can't believe they were even allowed on the DVD, but you will notice the same company wasn't around for the following DVDs and they really started putting out some nice stuff after that.

Joey,

They can be pretty brutal in these threads (I KNOW). They'll crucify you, demonize you and all sorts of stuff and the administrators may even threaten to boot you out and close the thread for daring to spread discontent (I KNOW THIS TOO), but don't let it deter you. You have every right to voice your opinion, no matter who doesn't agree with it. And trust me, there are lots of people who may never post a single word who agree with you too. You are not alone.

MattGentry

Second Unit
For me, the only real problem I have is about the Motion Picture being gold instead of silver.

The whole "upside down" thing - not a big deal for me, but I've got numerous idiosyncricies, so believe me, I can understand how something like that would upset a person.

I just hate the idea of having to buy all the movies all over again. I already double-dip on so many movies, it's getting to be a pain in the wallet.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
"A good example would be the
general complaint on Star Trek VI, Disc 2, where the
excelsior is printed upside down."

There is no up in space.

Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks