What's new

Star Trek Enterprise season sets coming (1 Viewer)

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
This is great to hear! That is some really awesome cover art and packaging! I can't wait, especially for seasons 3 and 4! :D

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I like the packaging--each Trek show has distinct packaging! I'll be picking up the sets and hopefully by the time season 4 is released we'll have a season 5 on UPN (fingers crossed).

Britton

Screenwriter
If Paramount is smart, they'll sell Enterprise at a much lower price than the other series, and have it more in line with boxsets for other TV shows. This is a chance for them to shore up viewship for new episodes on UPN, and they really should seize it.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Interesting that Season 1 comes out in May, right around when season 4 is finishing on tv. Hopefully good sales of the first DVD set will be a motivating factor in renewing the series for a 5th season next year.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I see no reviews here yet. Anyway I got my R1 Enterprise DVD set last week and I’m currently on Disc 3. People say bad things about this series but so far I kind of enjoy it.

Britton

Screenwriter

It's far too late for that unfortunately. Enterprise is dead. Paramount has said as much.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Working on it... I'm a bit behind. I've got that and 8 other titles on my coffee table waiting to be reviewed.

I didn't give this series a fair shake when it was originally broadcast, only watching it sporadically and with little enthusiasm. I must say, having gotten midway through disc 5 at this point, that it is better than I remembered...

One of the things (of many) about this series is that it turned off a lot of hard-core Trekkies (like me) by playing a bit loose with Trek lore. Looking past that, there are really some fine episodes. I think the series is more accessible to the non-fan of the franchise.

Transfers are nice.

I hope to post my review Sunday night.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Is there a Best Buy bonus disk with this set, or can I finally pick it up at BJ's?

Looking forward to your review, Scott!

Ric

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I also have mine, got it yesterday.

Some may dissagree with me but I really like the packaging of these sets!

For one, they really well protect the discs, especially in the "mail system" for those who like to order their DVD's on-line like myself. Twice I had to return "Voyager" cases (some times including the discs themselves) that had been damaged in the mail, even when packaged inside a cardboard box with air bags inside for protection.

The case is quite nice to look at with a "logo" of the Starship Enterprise on the front and is made of hard plastic that opens by pulling on both the top & bottom parts.

Inside is a clear plastic sleeve (again with the same logo) that very easily slides off. Once the sleeve removed, you are left with a clear blue "book type" (turn pages, 1 disc per page) disc holder that is "exactly" the same as the ones they used inside of the "Voyager" sets.

The discs themselves have no fancy artwork (like the ones inside the "DS9" sets) but have more writing/info on them and look much better than the ones for the "Voyager" cases.

The best feature by far is the "insert" that comes with this set!!! The insert is a very nice color booklet complete with episode summaries and colorfull images taken directly from the show itself. Truly a beautiful collectors set, the best of all 5 Trek DVD sets!

For Trek's "supposed" runt show that didn't quite make it... They sure are giving the DVD sets the "Royal Treatment"!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ric-

I was also curious whether the new Enterprise DVD's at Best Buy will include a bonus disc. I checked the Best Buy website and this is what I found, (and it is listed at $99.00):

What is interesting here are comments from early DVD owner's who are finding the series better then they remembered.

It will be interesting to see how Scott Bakula's comments play out that once the DVD's are out, a new audience will find the show. I'm sure the Powers that Be at Paramount will monitor these things and gauge interest for the next incarnation of Star Trek. Sounds like the existing audience is already liking it. Must be something about how the mind processes something after the initial shock of seeing something new.

I don't know if an earlier release could have saved the series. But who knows, I don't know anything about the Family Guy, and I hear it's back on Fox.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Nelson, I may be blind! I can't find any info on a bonus disc on this page Am I looking in the right place? Is it an online order thing?

Ric

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ric, you're not blind. I had found that page too when I first looked. Then I went to the Television section, and I tried the "This Week's Offers" button. That led to a page with all the new releases for this coming week. When you scroll down, you find Star Trek Enterprise, and that info I quoted. What I didn't do was click it and there's more info here.

I suppose a lot of people may not be too thrilled with the bonus disc contents. But I have to be a completist!

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Is DS9 the only series that had bonus discs about the series itself? I wonder why they didn't do more of that?

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
Whats the deal with all these bonus discs on the Star Trek sets? What's on them that makes them so special?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You're welcome Ric!

Alex, Kyle-

The Star Trek bonus discs are an extra DVD inserted into the package and sold only through Best Buy ( at least in my part of the US ) and it's affiliates.

The extra discs started with the first Star Trek-The Next Generation box set and every Star Trek season box set has had one included. DS9 and Voyager too.

The first few extra discs on the TNG sets were actually CD-ROM's and included a Series Companion, video trailers and photos. Another CD-ROM has an interactive Technical Manual that is fun to look through. Both were Mac and PC compatible. I think you could have bought those outside anyway. The content of the later DVD discs is often material that looks like they didn't have room for in the main set. Most of it was good stuff like looks at the sets and props, or focused on how they did something for a specific show, be it music or how they did the Klingon language or costumes design. One extra I am really glad to have was a sketch book like section of how one of the series designers developed the design for the Defiant from DS9. He also have some material on designing other aspects of the show. The extra discs on the TOS sets have less material to work with, so some are contrived. For example, and I have still to watch this one, the Second Season extra for TOS has one featurette on actors and fans favorite memories from TOS and the third year has a featurette on the world of the Star Trek collector. That one is kinda amusing.

The extras run about 10 to 15 minutes per featurette and they mostly had 2 featurettes. It's really a marketing exercise to make the Best Buy sets seem more exclusive and thus, you have to buy the sets there. Of course you're in essense paying for it. The sets were $99 the first week of release at Best Buy. But you could have had the sets without the extra DVD at Costco for $80.00.

Overall, the earlier extra discs had better stuff for TNG and DS9. Some of the Voyager discs I have still to see so I'll omit any commet on those. But the content looks pretty good with looks at the art department and how ships were designed, visual effects, 30th Anniversary events, creating the Voyager crew, and the shameless promotion of the Star Trek Experience in Vegas. The funny thing about the extra discs for Voyager; there was a lot of dissapointment that Paramount cut costs and didn't print on the Season set discs as the DS9 discs were, the Voyager extra discs have some really nice images printed on those! The TOS extra discs have been the most dissapointing, content wise. But it's understandable for those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks