Star Trek Enterprise boldly going into the wild...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nelson Au, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I thought I’d toss this out if it has not already been covered yet. It seems that this new Star Trek series, Enterprise, has an opportunity to push what DS9 did.
    I can see this show going darker and looking at issues that form what the series has become. There‘s a danger that they could do hokey, in your face stories where they end with " we need a Prime Directive" rule. They have to be careful not to wink at the audience too much.
    With Starfleet not fully defined yet, this can be a Wild West kind of take on the galaxy. I can see stories where there are atrocities and oppressions committed to other races by the early frontier humans out there and our new crew will come in and clean things up. I see them making first contact with some of the races we know. There’s a likely chance that we will see the early Earth/Romulan wars take place. I’m sure our human heros will cause trouble too and possibly start conflicts.
    I hope they do it right and do it well. What do you guys think?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I'd rather not see dark, to be honest. DS9 did it well, sure, but they also would take a week and play baseball or have Quark wind up in charge of a Klingon House every once in a while. And no wars. We've had one, Ira Behr and company did great things with it, that's enough.
    What would I like to see? Well, since we're not going to get "Jake Sisko, Reporter" anytime soon, hire a science consultant or three and have them get things right. The galaxy in TNG-era Trek is too tamed. There are hundreds of wonders in our own solar system, but the Trek series spent so much time on M-class planets and seemed so blase about traveling in space, we never got any sense of how amazing it could be.
    So, you've got 21st-century FX (and probably a good budget for them) and a wilder time period. So, give me gorgeous, alien environments. I want folks wearing spacesuits. I want to be amazed and excited, which is just about the opposite of "dark".

3. Nelson Au

Jason-
    I had a feeling you'd reply sooner or later. I take your points too. I agree with your comments. This time period is full of unknowns and wonders and it would be cool to see more of the kinds of things you mention.
    If Bakula is steering this show towards more characterization , I think that's great too. I miss the Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship and the characteriszations they developed. It made me care about their adventures
    Whatever paths they take this show, I hope it's done well.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

What I really find interesting - not to single Nelson out, it's just the latest example - is the way genre fandom always seems ready to jump on the darker-is-better bandwagon. I mean, check out some of the reactions to A.I. [​IMG] There oftentimes seems to be curiously little room for joy in these discussions. I wonder why that is.

5. Nelson Au

I’m not saying darker is better. I just can imagine that there will be potential for darker stories in the wild new frontier of space. It is dangerous out there. Happy stories are great too. The Corbomite Maneuver was a great story of first contact with an alien race from the original series. It had a happy ending. Star Trek 4- The Voyage Home was a happy feel good movie. I’m also hoping that they have writers with the level of creativity and originality that the original Twilight Zone and Outer Limits had. I loved those surprise endings. A nice mix of shows will be very refreshing.

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I've been a little concerned about some of the plots because in the long run, we'll know what the end result will be, so it's no great surprise, unless they take it to an entirely new level. If they could meet the races as sort of a 'surprise' then it might work. I do hope so.
    What I can see happening is a lot of things going wrong, and Bakula pounding a console and screaming bloody murder at the top of his lung, "Why doesn't this thing work!"
    The question has also come up concerning the dilithium, and where it comes from and how we get it, but that is just a minor point. I do see some massive exploring, as Kirk did in TOS, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Glenn

7. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

On the "Dark" thing in Science Fiction. I think what we sometimes say as "dark" (and I am not trying to speak for anyone, just getting impressions) what we mean is "real." I would hate the show to be too melodramatic and miss out on the humor. Or too loopy and miss out on good solid characterization. I agree with the one poster with the "wonder" of space. That has been missing from Sci-fi for far too long. The original cast did this well in most of the movies. The end of II comes to mind as they look out to the forming planet in awe (and awww...cause Spock died...should I have made that a spoiler? [​IMG] ). Star Trek IV had the whales be awe-inspiring. Star Trek V...well, then there was some Next Generation stuff where they would get all teary eyed at new or ancient civs, vistas, etc. It was glorious when it happened and I think it would be great to see it again. I like "Wonder." I think that should easily replace "dark" as the mood to strive for.
    Phil