STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 5/19/'04 "Countdown"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rex Bachmann, May 17, 2004.

1. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    episode title: "Countdown"
    episode number: #75
    original airdate: May 19, 2004
    director: Robert Duncan McNeill
    writers: Andre Bormanis & Chris Black
    synopsis: "With time running out and the Xindi weapon about to be armed, Archer has to make a deal with several Xindi."

Well named. Only 169 hours before Enterprise turns into a pumpkin and is swept into the "ashbin" of tv history.

Just kidding! (Or maybe not.)

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Looking forward to the next two episodes. This season has been excellent

As for the shows future i know the actors have been told to report back to work as mentioned on trekweb.com and trektoday.com. Hopefully its good news and not a group firing

capt

3. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

I really like the show, but I have a hard time watching it. I made the chioce to watch Smallville which it plays opposite. I just like Smallville better. I try to record it, but that always ends up to be a hassle. If they would play the episodes in order durring the off season, maybe more people would start watching. Maybe I am in the minority, but I think that this is the best of the Star Trek TV shows yet.

4. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    DanielKellmii wrote (post #3):

There's no "maybe" about it.

5. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

I didn't see Enterprise in next year's Wednesday night lineup, published by my local newspaper. I guess this is it?

6. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Wow, I really enjoyed this episode. The battle scenes were very well done and I felt storyline sustained anticipation throughout the entire hour. The dinner scene was a great break in the action too. These are likable characters and guess what? Some of them die and they are people I'm interested in like the Major (Steven Culp),
    not just ensign red shirt.

I really can't wait for next week and it has been a while since I've said that about a Star Trek show.

Peace,

DM

7. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Yep good episode to set up the finale which im really looking forward to.

capt

8. Daniel_BR

Daniel_BR Extra

I thought it was great. For me, it feels like one of the good Star Trek movies (i.e. epic and captivating). Like Dave said, I'm actually looking forward to next week which is a lot coming from me, since I had actually quit watching it for a while last season.

9. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I thought this weeks was supposed to be the finale? I'm glad I was wrong, that would have been one hell of a cliffhanger.

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Might as well have been, considering the lack of character development. Course, this isn't the first series to do something like this, so it didn't concern me too much.

Overall: pretty decent, even if the bad guys have "Dues Ex Machina" on their side. Must be nice...

Jason

11. BobV

BobV Second Unit

Just awesome... I'm actually more interested and captivated by this year's Enterprise than Alias, and feel more vested in the season finale of Enterprise as well... I would have not thought that possible.

As DanielKellmii said, I agree... this is some of the best Trek ever.

12. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Pretty exciting episode as we come down to the season finale. If the rumours are true, I’m looking forward to what happens next year. (We’ll have confirmation in a few hours) If they can pull off this thread; if they can sustain the level of writing and build upon the momentum, Season 4 should be when the series cements itself coming into it’s own. Archer said it himself, in a great scene at the Captain’s table with Trip and T’Pol. He is looking forward to end this and get back to their original mission. Of course he’ll prevail and Mankind survives, but getting there has been fun. But will it be a let down to explore and meet new life and civilizations and boldly going?

Several high points tonight. T’Pol finally admits to Trip that she needs emotional help and he makes up with her. Hoshi, while held captive with the Reptilians is forced to translate the 3rd code to activate the weapon, she tries to kill herself to prevent them from getting the code. I really thought for a while she’d do it or the writers would do it. The scene with Major Hayes after the shuttle Pod returns and he learns his colleague has died re-opens the thread from weeks ago where Reed and Hayes work out their differences. It was good to see that played out where they reinforce their respect and admiration for each other. And while we could see his demise coming during the raid to recover Hoshi, it was well played.

Archer bluffs the Aquatic Xindi and claims to be able to take down the Spheres in exchange to help him attack the Reptilians and stop the weapon, a semi Kirk moment. Trip and T’Pol find a way to do it.

The continuing friendship and honor between Archer and Degra's colleagues was paid off where Archer honors his agreement and sends the Enterprise with T'Pol in command to take down the Spheres grid. Archer and the MACO’s and a sick Hoshi go after the Sphere in Degra’s ship in a ‘Favor the Bold’ moment to stop the weapon. Archer is getting better in Bakula's portrayal when he tells Phlox that Hoshi is coming on the mission to attack the weapon in spite of Phlox's complaints.

Reed gets a scene to try more acting as he informs the MACO’s of Major Hayes death and selects a crew to board the Xindi weapon to take it down.

The Insectoids finally question the Reptilians as they take the weapon and force the Reptilian’s hand and the accompanying Insectoid ship is destroyed to prevent more intervention.

What’s confusing is the trans-dimensional females abilities. They are established without the ability to directly interact with the events of our universe. As they calculate that the possible outcomes of the events, they become more and more convinced that Archer will prevail and act to stop him. They activate a sphere that causes more anomalies that destroy the Aquatic's ships attacking the weapon. I thought they were pushing ahead and causing the Spheres to start the process of converting the Expanse into the trans-dimensional space for them to inhabit.

We’ll find out next week and get the answers to all the questions.

Nelson

13. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Another Enterprise ep that did not disappoint. [​IMG]

Glad they speeded up the transporter dematerialization by the time of Trek VI. Nasty way for Major Hayes to go.

But... Whatever happened to Trellium shielding ships from anamolies? (Or don't the Xindi know about it??)

Looking forward to the finale. Let's hope Earth has constructed some sort of defence net given all the time they've had to prepare. It'd be cool if some of the other races (Vulcans, Andorians, hey, maybe even Klingons) turned up for the fight. But we'll see...

14. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

15. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

i was thinking there would be another NX ship built by this time. Wasn't one just starting construction last time they were on earth? i know 8 months is short, but how long would it take to build another NX ship with knowing what is coming.

16. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Todd, thanks but I don't want to spoil the surprise! [​IMG] If they can keep the momentum going from this ep it should be a great finale.

17. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Nelson Au wrote (post #12):

One of the problems with the "timeline" business that this and many other shows or movies will have is that, as presented, it ignores the major implications of its own premise for the sake of the "adventure" story. In order for beings to observe "divergent timelines", or even, it seems to me, calculate the probabilities of such a complex set of events as the unfolding of the universe actually is, those beings would indeed have to stand outside of the events, outside of both time and space---can there be one without the other?---and, in fact, be very different physically (and otherwise?) from your average Hollywood humanoid species, as habitually depicted in popular filmed entertainment.

Enterprise has given us no particular reason to suppose these "Guardians" meet that criterion, except to call them "transdimensional", a term of little practical meaning to the story, except that it's needed for the sake of the plot. Hence, the contradictions.

The only slight exception to that statement that I can remember is the episode "Future Tense"
    , which featured a captured vessel with a dead humanoid and an expansive interior with dimensions totally out of line with its exterior size. That might have been a good start but doesn't go far enough to explain or justify the use of the term.

18. Dewitte

Dewitte Stunt Coordinator

Shane D wrote in Post 15:

If you remember back in the finale for Season 2, "The Expanse," Admiral Forrest and Archer survey the construction of the NX-02 in orbit of Earth. Forrest said it would take 14 months to finish building the Columbia (the ship's name was revealed in "E2").

De

19. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It had some cool space fights, but as for the characters... who cares??? They have no charisma and are so poorly written that I have a hard time feeling for them.

I need to like T'Pol more than just to stare at her most impressive chest, I need to like Trip besides his good ol' boy one liners, etc. Their love affair is given such short shrift that it seems just an excuse to get two hot people to undress and oil each other up, and boost ratings.

Hoshi could have been killed off and you wouldn't have remembered her by the next episode since they haven't really developed the side characters at all.

Berman and Bragga are some of the worst TV producers/writers I've ever come across.

And now Paramount is considering letting these bozos pen another Star Trek movie!

Dan

20. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

According to a source on a Trek website, the story on the next Trek movie is that Berman will be distancing himself from it and Braga is not involved. Another producer and writer is in early development now. The latest rumours still indicate it to be a trilogy before Kirk's time.

Perhaps from all these rumours, the idea is that they don't feel Enterprise will live past a 4th season and the trilogy will pick up from there, include the Romulan Wars and end with the Kirk era. Just speculation on my part. I'm hoping Enterprise keeps flying for the whole 7 year run.