What's new

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 5/12/'04 "The Council" (1 Viewer)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
What I want to see in season 4 is more of the exploration of things. For instance I liked the one episode where Reed was forming what will be the "Red Alert." Or when they saw holograms for the first time. I'd like to see them form more into what will be the Romulan War. I'd also like to see them get "shields". Little things like that are what interest me. I'd also like to see the Suliban return and have that wrapped up too.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Mark Maltais wrote (post #20):

Not always. Have you ever viewed episodes from the third season of the original Star Trek? Take a look at "Whom Gods Destroy" and "Plato's Stepchildren", and I think you'll want to amend that statement.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
As Rex said - no. TOS's third season is almost universally considered the weakest, I don't recall Voyager's being particularly competent, and as to TNG and DS9... The third season changed those shows to something different, but not necessarily better. In TNG, the increased focus on characterization came at the expense of the nifty sci-fi ideas, and DS9 put aside the story of Bajor to its detriment and became a less varied show (I was awful tired of the Dominion War by the time it ended). The shows became more polished, but also lost a good deal of their original appeal.

As has happened with Enterprise. The first season had a nifty, fresh, "first steps into space"/historical fiction feel to it. During the second, they started to slip back toward being just another ST show, and by the time I quit it became one drawn-out bore of a story.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, "Plato's Stepchildren" -- which, for me, is more cringeworthy than "Spock's Brain." (Wanna play horsey?) Third-season TOS always has been a joke, but, since the series is imprinted so deeply in a fan's psyche, we watch it anyway.

Nelson, Ric: Thanks, guys.

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark

I meant Trek starting from the Next Generation...:b

I was only a glimmer in my father's eye when TOS was on the air and even now don't find it that interesting, not my generation I guess.:D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
OT; TOS S3 had quite a few stinkers, but they had some good ones, my favs are: Enterprise Incident, Tholian Web for the Spock/McCoy relationship, That Which Survives for the Spock/Scotty stuff, Requiem for Methuselah, Day of the Dove, All Our Yesterdays and Turnabout Intruder for Shatner's performance.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I submit The Way to Eden as the worst episode of ST:TOS; which happens to be one of the final episodes of season 3.

- Walter.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Herbert!
Herbert!
Herbert!
Herbert!:D

Btw, I liked Plato's Stepchildren.;)

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I hope they go 4 seasons.

Most Sci Fi shows pick up steam as they go. B5 picked up pretty quick, Farscape took a while, so did Stargate, but they all turned out to be great.

TNG went from horrid to bad, to good...DS9 went from ho hum to excellent and I think one of the best of the franchise.

I even remember when TNG turned around for me. I forget the Ep name or season but Riker shot something and it blew up, guts everywhere, very graphic for the time and I thought they were trying something.

The good thing about Enterprise is I think the acting is far better, there are no really annoying characters.

If it goes under it will be the biggest waste of talent and story in the entire franchise.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
Todd S wrote in Post #17:

Not picking on you Todd, but I have seen and heard this assertion a lot from Trek fans. I like to consider myself fairly well read on most things Trek, but I don't remember reading back in 2001 that the premise of Enterprise was to be a strictly "Birth of the Federation" affair. It was my understanding that this would be a "high-adventure" series in a pre-Federation setting.

De

Adrian D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian

But I see that you haven't bailed on putting your few cents in on every thread about Enterprise.

Jason, I would hate to see some of your posts about the Red Sox. Talk about letting someone down. :wink:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Dewitte, You might be right. But, what they have been doing before the Xindi arc wasn't really working (Suliban). The more popular episodes were the ones that kinda of dealt with how the Federation will be formed. Specifically, how the "Pink Skins" get involved in the troubles between the Vulcans & the Andorians. I would love to see how these two hostile races eventually come together with humans and others to form the Federation.

ps-I remember back in the 80's when the original Trek came out on VHS. I made sure the last episode I bought was Spock's Brain. :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, the Sox don't let me down. I see you're in Michigan, so the idea of a baseball team being quality entertainment almost every time you tune in is kind of foreign right now, but we get good baseball in Boston. The playoffs are this other things whose results usually seem within the limits of random variation, so they don't bother me.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Eric Connelly wrote (post #31):

Actually, I have argued and would argue still that Voyager did improve in that season, especially in the episodes that led up to its season finale "Scorpion" (pt. 1). "Scorpion" is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of the series and a great two-part episode. Unfortunately, it all went downhill from there.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I didn't even like "Scorpion"! The only episode of Voyager that truly held my attention and anticipation going into the next act after a commercial break was the very last episode -- and even that let me down.

Really, there have been no decent episodic Trek since DS9 wrapped (IMO, of course).

The argument for putting the franchise on ice for several, several years is, now, beyond compelling. Man, I sure miss looking forward to new episodes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Some random thoughts-

I find a certain level of comfort knowing that Star Trek is still on the air and look forward to seeing the saga continue. I know that this can and will lead to a certain level of mediocrity to settle in within the creators. The uncertainty of renewal for Enterprise has certainly put a sense of urgency into the last few shows of this years Enterprise and to some eyes, has been for the better.

At the risk of getting into trouble with the moderators, I found the shocking news of wednesday somehow merging with this week's Enterprise. It made the show more "real" for me from that point of view, which is why for me it had more power to it. The brutal way Degra was murdered and how his killer tells Degra that he will hunt his family down was quite chilling. I know that many here don't like Trek shows that try to make commentary on current events of our world, but that was what TOS did.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
The capture of Hoshi reminds me alot of TNG Best of Both Worlds. It is a good guess to assume the reptilians will use her as a communication conduit to the humans, just like Picard was captured to be a conduit for the Borg. But as for anything else it would be pure speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks