What's new

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 4/28/'04 "The Forgotten" (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure a subpar show which is a shadow of its former iterations getting ratings that reflect that decline in quality is "bad news".

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Did they revise the numbers down after originally publishing this?:

According to Mediaweek.com's Programming Insider, "The Forgotten" earned a 3.3 overnight rating/5 share. This means that approximately 3.3% of American households were tuned to UPN, while Enterprise was viewed by 5% of households watching television at the time. These numbers are up from the 3.1 earned last week by "Damage."

Still low, but considering that there's no lead in or lead out show on Wednesday that would carry over or attract other viewers, it is ok. Plus they spent a month telling everyone Enterprise would be at 9PM, when really it is at 8PM.

And let's look at the conservative numbers: WB's SMALLVILLE (2.8/5). ENTERPRISE (2.1/4). Nearly tied. And I say nearly because we all know how accurate these ratings are. Ranking them is of course what numbers are for, but lets be real, this is splitting hairs. If Enterprise and Smallville are pretty much tied, there shouldn't be any reason to worry about season four.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I suppose if we took a poll of this thread, I think most here want Enterprise to continue, but without Berman and Braga.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, that assumes raw ratings are the only factor. Smallville is likely much less expensive to produce, is generating more ancillary revenue for other Warner Brothers divisions, and is likely to continue doing so.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

But the quality has gone up this season, quite markedly IMHO. So it's bad news. And if you think Enterprise is a step down from Voyager, well...:crazy: Maybe you should take your own advice from post #5. :)

Peter Miller

Agent
I'd agree that Enterprise if far better than Voyager for the sheer fact that Enterprise this season is exactly what Voyager was supposed to be. Lost in uncharted space with no one to help you and consequences that aren't reset at the end of episode. How many times was Voyager beat to hell only to have the "reset button" hit and the following episode everything was back to normal as if nothing happened.

For me Trek is at its best when plot threads are carried out over multiple episodes which is probably why I think Trek will never again be as good as DS9 was, it was TOO good. But Enterprise is trying its best and I for one am enjoying the ride.

David Wyckoff

Auditioning
My first post on this thread...
I've personally enjoyed this season. I like the overarching storyline and last night's episode was just about the best of the season. Now if they'd only change the opening music...

As for ratings, isn't it going up against American Idol on Fox. I mean, seriously, what kind of ratings are they really expecting. Star Trek has always had the reputation of being hard core sci-fi with it's associated stereotypes. I know people who hide the fact that they even like the show so as to appear more "mainstream". Find a timeslot where it's not up against another fantasy/scifi show, they'd probably double the ratings. But they insist on Wed night, up against Smallville or Angel.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Welcome David!

I have a feeling that there might be some on this forum who would disagree that Star Trek is hard core Sci Fi, but I understand your point is that it can be percieved as such.

There has been rumours that Enterprise could move to Friday night next year. Wednesday was a sort of traditional night as The Next Gen aired then IIRC. I think Thursday might be okay with Friends ending it's run this year. Thursday was the old DS9 timeslot as I recall. But then it would go against Survivor if it's on Thursdays at 8:00pm still next year.

If the show continues it's path of improved stories and survives to a 4th year and UPN promotes it more and the show moves to another night, at best it's ratings could improve to those of Smallville. Of course the fiasco that UPN promoted the show would move to 9:00pm earlier this year confused a lot of people. So if it does move, I hope they better communicate the change.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
TNG and DS9 didn't have a national timeslot; they aired in different times depending on which station you watched them on. And Thursdays are right out - Smackdown! is UPN's most popular show and it ain't moving.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

Star Trek: The Next Generation was a syndicated show (as was Deep Space Nine) and was aired whenever a station wanted. It bounced around quite a bit over the years here in D.C.

Voyager kicked off the UPN Network on a Monday. I don't recall when it moved to Wednesdays, but that's where it finished up.

De

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I knew you were going to say that Jason!:)

Here in the SF Bay Area, that's how it ran. Maybe it was similar in Southern California as well or the western states. But it was like that for the majority of the first run of those shows. No jumping around.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Here in NYC, DS9 and TNG were shown on saturday afternoons . I know DS9 was at 4 PM EST on WPIX 11

capt

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I read Bill Hunts post on hometheater.com and laughed outloud. To compare it to that new western or even Farscape as he mentioned is laughable.

I couldnt say it better myself. People like it because it's better than it was but thats not saying much.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

It doesn't survive on lowered expectations. I expect it to be as good a drama as Buffy, Angel, or CSI. And it is starting to approach that in this season.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I'd like to see Enterprise move to Monday nights at 8pm. There really isn't anything on that night. Football is at 9 so it wouldn't be a big problem.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
In the NYC metro area, ST:TNG and DS9 were always shown first run in primetime. I believe DS9 was 7PM and TNG was 8PM on different nghts.

Reruns were shown earlier in the afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks