STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 2/25/'04 "The Hatchery"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rex Bachmann, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    episode title: "The Hatchery"
    episode number: #69
    original airdate: February 25, 2004
    director: Michael Grossman
    script: Andre Bormanis & Michael Sussman
    synopsis: "Archer goes to extreme lengths to save an abandoned nest of Xindi-Insectoid eggs ready to hatch."

Looks like another example of the shopworn Star Trek dictum, "Noblesse oblige". Hope I'm wrong.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You won't be. Remember, retreads rule in this series. (I watched last week's episode last night. Haven't been missing anything, I see.)

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I find these Enterprise threads absolutely hilarious. It seems some of you are being vsciously tortured (refundant, I know) by this show and yet, you don't seem to be willing, or able to look away [​IMG]

--
    H

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Oh, but Holadem, last night's was the first third-season episode I had seen since the first one last September.

5. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Actually you have been missing a lot , just happens you caught the one non arc episode

capt

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

What's being part of the precious arc have to do with whether it was a good hour of television or not?

7. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Enterprise Arc episodes are a lot better then there stand alones. Even though i thought the episode was a good one, everyones opinions differ.

capt

8. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit

Jack,

Shouldn't that be "last WEAK'S episode? [​IMG]

9. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

10. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann

(b) "Insectoids" reproducing asexually? Kind of far off the mark for the show's---[ahem!]---science advisor. Haven't they ever heard of queen bees, ants, termites, etc.?

(c) We knew it had to come to a head: MACOs vs. Star Fleeters. That could've been handled a little more excitingly.

Can't think of anything else to say about this episode.

11. DaveSarcevic

DaveSarcevic Agent

Can someone give me back this one hour of life i just lost?

12. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

It was okay. 2nd mediocre filler episode before the good stuff happens (I hope).

Again, the biggest problem was that the writer ignored an interesting scenario in favour of an uninteresting one. Last week, it would have been much better if Phlox hadn't been imagining things, and there really was a Xindi spy on board. This week, how much more interesting would it have been had Archer not been affected by the egg goo, if he actually believed what he was doing was right.

Oh well.

13. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Yeah it would have been intresting if archer wasnt affected by the Goo. However it would have caused serious problems for the rest of the show. The crew does a mutiny , the captain would be locked up till they get back to earth. Dosnt help there

capt

14. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I actually thought the best part of the episode was with part of the talk that Major Hayes had with Reed. The line when Hayes said "They don't teach you that in West Point". I think this is the type of writing Enterprise shoul be going for. That being this is all NEW to humans and they shouldn't always react the way say Kirk or Picard's crew would. Who have been raised in a world where this is old hat.

15. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Was it just me, or isn't this what the crew of Voyager should have done with Janeway long ago?

Personally, I thought it was a pretty decent episode. I liked the fact that things happened gradually and reasonably. Archer's initial argument is reasonable, and I liked that Trip disagreed with it initially and accepted it for a while before things went way overboard.

Course, one of my complaints is that why did we have to wait this long to see development between the MACOs and the rest of the crew? They've seem to have been invisible for most of this season...

Jason

16. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Kind of a silly ep IMO, and not the best dialogue ever written.

On a more important note, what is up with T'Pols eyebrows? Is it my imagination, or in the first few seasons, wasn't the extended part of her eyebrows meant to actually be her eyebrows? I mean, it was meant to look as if Vulcan's eyebrows actually had hair extending up to the sides of the temple, right?

But lately, T'Pol clearly, and I mean CLEARLY, has two sets of eyebrows - her own human eyebrows, and then painted-on eyebrows that extend up to the sides of the temple.

So my question is, is the makeup department truly sucking, or is Jolene Blalock just tired of shaving her real eyebrow-sides off, or is it now a "fact" of Star Trek history that Vulcan eyebrows are just a fashion statement that they paint on?

Anyone follow what I am saying?

17. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Wow, I'm surprised no one pointed out the "homage" #47 (joke) of this episode is a rewrite of "Turnabout Intruder". It basic premise also sounds like some TNG episodes, too.

Turnabout Intruder - A change happens in the captain, who starts to give unusual orders. The senior officers detect this and he starts to put each one in the brig, this causes them to unite and stage a mutiny. But in Turnabout, Kirk has "security" to back him without question, just as Archer has the MACO follow orders without question.

To my embarrassment, I only figured out it was biotoxin zap only at the point when he relieves T'Pol, which was at 29 minutes after the hour. I should have saw through that earlier. Maybe if it was better written, I should have figured it out later.

18. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Kind of boring I thought. It was obvious as soon as it happened that the toxin was going to be their way to hit the reset button at the end.

19. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I was hoping that, when Archer relieved T'Pol of being First Officer, that this would have been against Starfleet Regs and we'd have had the MACO's imprison Archer, ala CRIMSON TIDE!!! [​IMG]

20. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

For those intrested startrek.com has posted news on the 3rd to last episode name "The Council". From the info looks like its gonna be a biggie

capt