Star Trek: Enterprise 2/18/'04 "Doctor's Orders"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rex Bachmann, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    episode title: "Doctor's Orders"
    episode number: #68
    original airdate: February 18, 2004
    director: Roxanne Dawson
    script: Chris Black
    synopsis: "When Enterprise encounters a deadly radioactive nebula, Captain Archer decides to save time by going through it and placing the crew in protective stasis with only . . . the Doctor left to protect the ship . . ."]"

Oops, that's the summary for Star Trek: Voyager, episode #93, "One"
    , first broadcast May 13, 1998, but it will do.

Just substitute "Janeway" for "Archer" and "Seven of Nine" for "the Doctor". Yadda, yadda, yadda . . . Same difference.

2. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Had the same reaction, but, this one might involve the insect Xindi rather than purely being 7 of 9 er I mean Phlox freaking out.

3. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Wow... I guess they are short of scripts for the season, so they used one from Voyager? [​IMG]

Sheesh... I seem to be one of the few who enjoys Enterprise from time to time, but this is just silly.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The laws of physics tangle with the laws of mystics. Star Trek, as currently expressed, is a classic example of eating one's cake and having it too.

5. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

What a wretched filler episode that was. Nice to centre the show around the doc and Porthos, but next time, a little plot would be nice (and not just a silly and predicatable twist ending). No surprise if it's a recycled Voyager ep, because it really was that bad.

edit 2: spoiler tags removed.

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Next week, on a very special Enterprise....

The Enterprise gets a distress call from a distant colony of humanoids. When the ship arrives, there is no answer from the planet below.

Archer sends down a landing party, and discovers to his horror that the entire planet has gone insane due to a parasitic invasion. When one of the parasites attacks his Vulcan first officer, he has to pull out all the stops to save the planet AND his XO!

(Naturally, I'm kidding here...) [​IMG]

7. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    This is also similar to the episode where Data erases the memory of all the other crewmembers becasue an alien race would destroy the ship if they remember.

8. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Just saw it.

This was also the episode where Phlox was hired by the government to detect secret messages encoded in newspapers and magazines, but who is counting?

And it was also a classic episode of Twilight Zone.

This was definately a Voyager episode through and through. Yuck.

One good moment when

Phlox was walking around nude without a care in the world

At least Phlox is played by a really good actor.

9. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    Not bad...

Nice break from the ever-so compelling Tucker-T'pol romance..

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

A decent episode in terms of character building - given what we know about Phlox so far, it's understandable that he wouldn't handle solitude well. Just, well, we've seen it before, and the end was burdened with an excess of Treknobabble.

Also, is Warp 4 really only ~50 times impulse? I'd been under the impression that impulse wasn't FTL, and it seems like it must take forever to get anywhere at that speed.

[/nerd]

11. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I cant wait until the visit the Tribble planet.

12. BobV

BobV Second Unit

Well, it might have been a plot device that has been used before, but I thought this episode was alot of fun.

Phlox naked was hilarious because it was so totally in character, and yet spoke even more about him. So funny [​IMG]

Loved watching Phlox and T'Pol trying to get the Warp engines started up. They didn't cheap out letting T'Pol do anything either. If she had done anything that would not have fit with the ending revelation.

Maybe I'm thick-headed but I didn't get that T'Pol was a hallucination before they showed her on the bed at that exact moment.

Lots of good things in this episode which kept it fresh and fun for me.

13. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

i knew she was a hallucination a couple scenes after phlox was walking naked and had seen some of the other crew members. I was thinking to my self, why would he walk around naked knowing he could run into t'pol.

14. derek

derek Second Unit

I really enjoy every scene with John Billingsley (Phlox) so was quite nice to have a show revolving around his character. Good episode but a bit predictable. Hoshi as exorcist girl gave everything away. Things could have been a bit more 'scary haunted ship' but seemed like the writers were leaning more towards paranoia/twilight zone stuff. Enterprise seems to be getting its feet and I'm hoping the show hangs around both for its qualities and the lack of network sci-fi.
    BTW I think Phlox and T'Pol would have similar views on nudity...ie no big deal.

15. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Well, I *DID* enjoy it as a character-building ep for Phlox. Billingsley was just fun to watch.

But it was most certainly a rehash of that Voyager ep.

I suspected that T'Pol was a hallucination as well, as I didn't see the logic behind Archer's little "I trust you" speech if T'Pol was still going to be awake.

And yeah, the whole difference between impulse and warp was really pooched, methinks. (I was under the impression that the best one could get out of impulse was .5c...or is that just non-canon blatherings?) Supposedly, the TOS-era warp-factors are squared, and that is the speed you are travelling. (So Warp 2 is 4 times light-speed, Warp 3 is 9 times, and so forth. Again, I think this may be non-canon natterings, but I'm not sure.)

(Side note: TNG-era warp-factors are supposedly CUBED, thus explaining why you can't go faster than Warp 10, when the TOS Enterprise did it a number of times...)

The Phlox nude scene was amusing. Totally in character, as has been said. Although I couldn't get the image of Elizabeth Hurley showing up and blowing up a balloon out of my head... [​IMG]

Overall, not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

16. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Yeah, what the last few posters said. Entertaining to see Billingsly have a chance to shine. Saw the faux T'Pol too.

Only thing that threw me was whether the anomoly really grew or was he not reading the display's correctly.

Nelson

17. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky

Would have been alot more funny if he was jogging and singing naked..

[​IMG]

18. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I wonder if Patrick McCart saw this, what with the inclusion of his signature file scene from The Court Jester. [​IMG]

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

As an aside, does anybody else half expect UPN to stick promos for Paramount movies on video/DVD onto the end of the episode, like the networks do for music?

20. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Did anyone else notice the placement of the water kettle as Plox was standing next to the counter? Totally reminded me of Austin Powers.