Star Trek: Enterprise 11/26/'03: "Carpenter Street"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rex Bachmann, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    episode title: "Carpenter Street"
    episode: #63
    original airdate: November 26, 2003
    writers: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga
    director: Mike Vejar
    synopsis: "Ex-crewman Daniels, a temporal agent from the future, appears on Enterprise and sends Archer and T'Pol back in time to 2004 Earth, to learn why three Xindi-Reptilians have been detected in the timeline where they're not supposed to be. Using 22nd-century technology, Archer and T'Pol scour Detroit, Michigan, and locate an abandoned factory where the Xindi are developing a biological weapon with the help of a local medical worker."

Oh, so "contemporary".

"They're baaaaaaaaaack!" I mean B&B, of course. (The Xindi---oh, yeah, them, too.)

2. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

From what I've read from the writer of the highly regarded Twilight, B&B have never left. At least Braga or Berman had a hand in Twilight and all the episodes this season. It's just that they, B&B, have not had top writing billing.

Nelson

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

With only a few exceptions ("City on the Edge of Forever" being the prime example), I've always felt it the most extreme creative cop-out when Star Trek "time travels" back to contemporary Earth (or Earth of recent 20th- and 21st-century vintage).

These guys really do need to bone up on their science fiction.

6. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Oh lord.First a Western episode and now a time travel back to 21st century episode.
    What next, meeting Landrew?

7. Nelson Au

Jack-

You mean you didn't like Tomorrow is Yesterday or Star Trek 4-The Voyage Home? (I would guess you include at least one of these as your exceptions)

It seems the fun part of those two shows was seeing the characters in our time and the opportunity to make commentary on these times. But I know where you are coming from, they keep doing it over and over. TNG did it, but on Earth of the 18th Century, DS9 did it, but a few years from now, Voyager did it to our time and now Enterprise will do it in our time as well. Maybe its a thing they feel they've got to do.

Nelson

8. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Greetings friend! Are you of the body?

Time travel (again)... meh.

B&B writing.... meh.

I am kinda glad they haven't forgotten about the TCW though.

9. Jack Briggs

Nelson, I loved "Tomorrow Is Yesterday," but pretty much loathed Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. And I kinda like "Assignment Earth."

10. johnbr

johnbr Stunt Coordinator

I so the show today good show.It also made you think that there is a lot more good on then they think or no.

11. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    There's Miri too. Was that their present day or in the past?
    I think since they are good at reusing old ideas, they should go and meet Miris kids or maybe those Hippi people.
    Oh wai, I probably just gave the idea-less B&B some new ideas.

12. Nelson Au

The only trouble is that Miri was not a time travel episode. They arrive at a planet that is an exact copy of Earth, only the world stopped normal development in the 1960's from a virus the inhabitants caused. The children were 300 years old due to a virus that hoped to extent life expectancy, but it killed adults.

So if Archer were to visit that world, no time travel is needed, plus the kids would not have met Kirk yet.

What hippee people are you referring to? The Way to Eden, if that's the one you refer to, was a bad episode featuring futuristic space hippees.

13. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    True, the could meet Miri before she got sick.
    Return to Eden might be another idea they could use with T'pol infiltrating the Hippies.
    There's always Mudd too.

14. Jack Briggs

"Miri" is fatally flawed by its bad logic and bad science, when judged on science-fiction terms. The entire implausible concept of an exact copy of Earth sets the premise of the episode, yet, in the ensuing acts, it's never brought up again. Far better would have been to have "Miri" take place on an Earthlike planet, and Miri and her folks should have been Earth colonists. And the colony's scientists could have been researching life-extension. The reason "Miri" holds up after all these decades is because it's TOS, and we all love TOS, warts and all. The drama in "Miri" was fine; the set-up and the science were not.

15. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    DS9's attempts were good. In addition to Past Tense, I thought Little Green Men was a fun little lark. And, of course, there was Far Beyond the Stars, which was fairly unique in that there was no time travel involved.

Anyway, tonight's episode was fine. There are, of course, minor quibbles such as Archer becoming an experienced driver so quickly. Then again, it does spare us from having to see the old inexperience driver cliche where the driver uses both feet for the old stop/start effect. Also, I don't know about T'pol firing the phaser in the car, especially when she is concerned about the Xindi seeing Loomis speaking in visual range. But, those are things I can overlook. This one continued the current storyline, tied it more strongly to the Temporal Cold War storyline, and netted the crew some good research material at the end. We'll be hearing about that again.

I guess no new episode next week, right? At least, we got no preview, and that's usually a prime rerun indicator.

16. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    "Carpenter Street":

[Hhhhhhhhhhh]

Well, let's see. Whadda we have here?:

(a) You gotcher sophisticated, knee-slappin' funnies:

Young Burgerland employee (never seen) takes any opportunity to double- or triple-size the orders.
    Prisoner/criminal Loomis to T'Pol: "How about a fry?" (No.) "Well, have it your way."

You know you're in trouble when the fast-food humor is, literally, the highlight of your episode.
    And, believe me, it doesn't get any better than that.

(b) You gotcher unfulfilled set-up:

When Archer tells T'Pol, "Hate to get you up at this hour, but this is urgent," I half expected him to say: "I need a pressure-point massage, and make it snappy!"

(c) You gotcher ecology message:

T'Pol wonders aloud whether the humans know that the fossil-fuel supply is running low.
    Archer (approximate): "Yeah, they've known about it for sometime, but not until 2061 do they . . . ." (interruption)

(d) You got whatcha call yer contemporary social commentary:

T'Pol says Loomis represents the worst qualities of the era: greed, violence, moral corruption . . . . (Do tell.)

(e) You gotcher usual scientific plausibility:

"Time travel" with pinpoint geographic accuracy: 90 light years (space); 150 years (time) to the exact day needed. The mind sure takes a break with that one.

When they arrive in contemporary (21st-century) Detroit and we see the scene, my first reaction is: "Where are the flying cars?!?"

(f) You gotcher howler of the week
    :

Danielson: "It takes a while for changes to the timeline to reach us." Do tell. Say, about . . . 800 years?!?

Otherwise, it's pure standard stuff: stop the bad guys from making and implementing a bioweapon without getting discovered or caught by authorities.

Oh well, the one (otherwise) throw-away line that may prove informative in the long run is the one to the effect that the reptilians may have come back in time to hide from someone. From whom would that be? And why?

And this is what they offer for "sweeps" weeks?

17. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Yeah... Danielson's statement annoyed me. Other than that, I didn't mind this episode. I always enjoy seeing Leland Orser play some twitchy character. [​IMG]

18. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Not a bad episode. I thought it was handled pretty well. The story arc was one dimensional, though. Go back in time, find the aliens, defeat them. No sub story, no plot twist, etc. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

19. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    There was one bit I did like.

"Untie him again." [​IMG]

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer