Star Trek: Enterprise 11/19/'03: "Similitude"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rex Bachmann, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    episode title: "Similitude"
    episode: #62
    original airdate: November 11, 2003
    writer: Manny Coto
    director: LeVar Burton
    synopsis: "When Trip suffers a catastrophic injury, . . . . Dr. Phlox attempts to save the chief engineer by creating a 'mimetic simbiot' — a clone — of him to harvest neural tissue from . . . . Meanwhile, the accident has left Enterprise disabled and adrift inside a destructive space cloud, so the crew attempts to free the ship before they are stranded forever."

Synopsis explains the preview attractions of last week.

One day this show may achieve verisimilitude with its fantastic premises and we'll have reached "nirvana". (Of course, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that.)

2. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    So does that coffin contain the real Trip or the cloned Trip?

Should I even bother to watch?

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

4. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Lewis Besze wrote (post #3):

5. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Bet Trips ok by episodes end and the ship isnt stranded in destructive space for very long.

Reset!

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Grrr. The local channel that broadcasts Enterprise isn't showing it tonight for some reason... so I'm gonna be behind everyone on this.

7. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Just finished watching this episode...and I thought it was pretty well done.

Haven't felt like this since Sophie's Choice...by the end you'll get what I mean.

8. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    They wimped out(IMO) with this episode.
    They should have saved the symbiote with the experimental procedure and let Trip die because that's what would have happened to him if they haden't made the clone in the first place. It would have been an interesting series development if they let the clone live and Trip die. At least IMO.

9. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Agreed Dalton.

I haven't watched Enterprise in awhile and tried it again and it's still pretty bad.

The episode felt like an excuse to have some character moments and movement with T'Pol and Trip only to have the reset button save them in the end so they don't have to go there again.

The whole setup felt ridiculous. For him to have Trip's memories was silly. It was hard for me to get over that. Plus, young Trip instantly recognizing older Trip and realizing that he's a copy was totally crazy. Now Trip is psychic too?

There were some good character moments and scenes but the setup was too much to overcome for me.

T'Pol is hot.

10. BobV

BobV Second Unit

You guys kill me. I'm sure if it would have went the other way you woulda complained too.

I thought the episode was excellent.

11. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

As usual the previews for this episode tell another story then the actual episode. While the story produced a lot of chuckles for me early on as the story unfolded, it quickly became a stronger show as Syn grew.

I didn’t have a problem with the science, it was a throw away device to set up the situation of the “stem cell/clones for organs” argument. What I thought was well acted was the way Archer and the doctor dealt with the dilemma as he grew and then Phlox realizes his mistake.

Early scenes with the young Syn showed an interesting side of Archer as a father figure, more so then Phlox had been in terms of taking him under his wing and teaching him how to fly the model. The things a father does with his kids. Also interesting how the synthetic Tripp had Tripp’s memories and knowledge to engineer a solution to getting out of the contrived void. And his confusion on whether he or Tripp had the feelings for T'Pol. All those moments built up Syn as a real person that made it so tough for the way it had to end.

I also did not mind the way T’Pol acted during the final scenes between her and Syn. The “going away” gift was a nice touch from her. She probably felt it was a private moment that would never be known to anyone. (Unless the transplant has Syn’s memories transfer to Tripp.) With her close contact with humans and learning their behavior, and she knew how he felt about her, she probably thought it was a logical thing to do.

The way Syn tried to live towards the end made me wonder, would they kill the real Tripp and replace him with the Syn? Similar in a way to the split Human Torres and her Klingon self caused by the Videans or the conjoined Tuvix from the Voyager episodes. Janeway forced Tuvix to die to get Tuvok and Neelix back. Archer sort of did the same thing. Archer’s motives were to ensure his mission to save Humanity, Janeway wanted to save her friends. Both are legitimate reasons. A step up from last week.

Nelson

12. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Dalton wrote (post #8):

13. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

14. derek

derek Second Unit

Bravo! This is good scifi. Human drama filled with questions and no easy answers. Although borrowing from the contemporary cloning debate the episode pushed some good ethical, social and even religious buttons (ie the 'life purpose' of a created being ok ok I'm reading 'The Purpose Driven Life' by R. Warren regarding man's identity found God the Creator's revelation.) The 'urgency' of the mission really is putting pressure on crew decisions (esp Archer.) Many would disagree with what Flox and the captain did yet some may justify it. I liked the 'damn good father/good son' exchange with Syn/Flox...very powerful and touching.
    btw - In zero g I'd think a shuttle pod tow would be a piece of cake no matter what mass of the starship. Now...maybe the mist/matter exhibited some resistance/gravital properties but don't remember it being mentioned.

15. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Well I did manage to see it after all! All this time I've been watching it on a local station, and didn't know that it was also being broadcast on a UPN affiliate I didn't know I had. [​IMG]

16. Brad_Harper

Brad_Harper Stunt Coordinator

Nerd talk on:

Actually the physics in the towing sequence was pretty correct. Because the ship was not moving and had zero momentum the shuttles had to overcome the inertia of the much larger enterprise. An object at rest tends to stay at rest. Once they actually started the ship moving in a particular direction keeping it moving would be a simple task.
    A good way of looking at it is without inertia every little asteroid or meteor that collided with earth would push it out of orbit with the sun. That would be bad!

Nerd talk off:

[​IMG]

17. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    Hmm.. Not a bad episode.. Blatent Voyager rip-off (the one where Tuvak and the cook are merged into one guy) that it was.

I thought the story was well-paced, earnest without being syropy, and helped ease us into the some would say inevitable Tupol-Trip romance..

Not the best, not the worst..

18. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron

19. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Another blatant retread. Certainly didn't qualify as good sci-fi in my book.

That kiss was completely unbelievable IMO. She's a Vulcan remember. I know it's easy to forget because apparently the writers do.

20. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

Yes, she is vulcan, but human/vulcan cross breeding has to start somewhere. After all, spock is half of each, so some vulcans do give in to emotions of attachment.