Star Trek: Enterprise 11/12/'03: "North Star"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rex Bachmann, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    episode title: "North Star"
    episode number: #61
    original airdate: November 12, 2003
    writer: David A. Goodman
    director: David Straiton
    synopsis:"After finding thousands of humans on a Delphic Expanse planet living in settlements seemingly straight out of the Old West, Archer gets embroiled in a dangerous cultural conflict once he discovers that the humans are systematically oppressing the alien race that originally brought them to this world."

Oh, dear God, no! Will Hollywood's fascination with crummy "wild, wild west in outer space" fantasies never end?

2. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

*sigh*

What happened to the "new and fresh" approach?

TOS - "Spectre of the Gun"
    TNG - "A Fistful of Datas"

I think VOY had an old-west episode, didn't it? I don't think DS9 did...

Hell, I just watched the Battlestar Galactica episode (can't remember the name off-hand) where Apollo has to face down "Red-Eye". The tin cowboy hats were very amusing.

Point being, it's been DONE. Lots.

On the plus-side, I don't see Berman or Braga's names anywhere in the writing credits, so maybe it will be semi-okay?

3. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Hey, don't forget the best western (no pun intended) from TNG, Times Arrow. A time travel episode that actually made a little more sense and not one of those destroy everything and it all fixes itself.

Then again, it was not a "cowboy" western, more of a old town story, sorry forget it. My bad.

4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

This could be a fun episode. Don't count it out yet, I read an interview with the writer of this show and he did say he's paying homage to Spector of the Gun and TOS. If done well, it will be a nice change of pace to lighten things up a bit. It sounds like Goodman (Who wrote North Star), and Sussman are true fanboy TOS fans.

Nelson

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I;m always suprised when people say "it's just like this, or that episode" how many of Next gen was a rip off of TOS series or from other shows .... MOST OF THEM!!

I think this sounds like an interesting episode even though it's ripped off from .....

Brent
    I agree, this series has more weak episodes than Next Gen because the acting is nowhere NEAR the level of Next Gen.

One of the truly original episodes on Next Gen was the "living in the hotel through a book" episode. Sorry guys I can't remember the name.

What I'd like to see is the parents of Trelane(SP) from TOS "Squire of Gothos" episode be seen in this series, but I'm not sure how they'd do that.

6. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

7. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

We've already seen Tribbles on ENT. In a scene with Phlox and Hoshi, Plox feeds a Tribble to one of his critters.

8. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    brentl wrote (post #5):

9. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Instead of coasting on other peoples ideas, isnt it time for this show to get an identity of it's own?
    Do we really need another Western themed show?

Part of what was suppose to set Enterprise appart from the Other Treks (like Voyager was also suppose to do and failed) was to start with a clean slate and give us fresh stories like the beginning of the Federation. We havent gotten that yet, hence the low ratings.

Pretty much all sci fi themes have been done before but the whole object is to put new spins on the material much the way Farscape did.
    Trek has become a replication machine with little or nothing original. That needs to change.

10. charles white

charles white Second Unit

This question is addressed to the more ST fan members of the board-Apart from the obvious ST episodes that have had similiar plots, didn't Archer and the crew violate the Prime Directive? Or has that policy been established yet?

11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

So many posts of complaints without having seen the show... which turned out to be a perfectly nice story.

Mostly, it was nice because Archer seemed more comfortable in a duster than in a jumpsuit, and the story of how the humans got there was good.

12. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

13. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

14. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I thought this was a very good episode. It makes perfect sense that a such a small group of people would change very little over that period of time. There are small groups on earth have haven't changed for thousands of years and we continue to find civilizations in the deep jungles that have never seen modern man.

It would also make sense for the aliens to bring along horses because the slaves would be familiar with them thus requiring no training.

The one thing I did have a small problem with was the fact that a small group of town folks would have all the knowledge required to build clocks and make bricks and cover all the facets required to recreate an earth town. I could see the building having a familiar look though.

I suppose the aliens may have felt recreating a copy of small town USA would help the slaves settle in but that is a stretch.

Overall I liked this one and I have enjoyed this season.

15. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    charles white wrote (post #10):

16. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I thought it was pretty fun. Starts off with a nod to "Forgiven', with a little bit of what could have happened after the Outer Limits, "A Feasability Study".

I thought the ending was the best part, where the teacher ("Miss Kitty"of Gunsmoke homage), learns and teaches the children about Earth history and the Sheriff joins in.

I doubt Miss Bethany knew she was 1/4 Skagaran. This was definitely a show with the TOS feel to it. All Archer needed was a torn tunic from the fight and the classic music. I also liked how it left you with the knowledge that when Earth ships can come and get the humans from the planet, they will have obviously advanced.

17. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

To the post that says "Its been done lots".......in almost 700 hours of TV trek its been done less than 1% of the stories.

18. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I retract my previous bitching. That wasn't too bad of a show. [​IMG]

Yup, Archer sure looked good in those duds. (My wife sure liked the look.) [​IMG]

19. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

Why would the prime directive apply here though?

This isn't some aliene species that doesn't have warp drive. They were humans who were pulled out of time basically and have every right to rejoin humanity.

20. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor