What's new

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 10/08/'03: "Impulse" (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Not to mention the two quotes in "Rajin".

First was from "Star Wars" - Archer: "We're on a diplomatic mission".

Second was from "Wizard of Oz" - Archer to Rajin: "Going so soon".

:D

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Besides from the action and sex, the best thing TPTB have done this year is continuity. "The Xindi" started things off in that regard, following from "The Expanse". "Anomaly" was all about the arc and "Extinction" did give us that wonderful toxin that will undoubtedly be used later in the season. "Rajiin" was again all arc-based; "Impulse" deviated from the arc a bit, but still showed us something we only glimpsed last year: the Vulcan ship's distress call.

I like the idea that one week's adventure leads into the next week's and no one forgets their mission. This is exactly where Voyager lost its focus. Sure, we set course for the Alpha Quadrant at the end of every episode, but one show was not connected to another. And for ships all alone in space, we have to see consequences from one week to another.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Risking his own neck and career is one thing, risking his crew is another, but risking his crew + the Earth + the person he could have left somewhere safe (and who requested it)? I stick to my original claim.
Ah, but we're not talking about JUST a crewmember here. (Not to belittle the enlisted folks.) ;)

We're talking about the first officer.

Would Kirk have left Spock behind? Even with the Earth in danger? I doubt it. As Kirk said about Spock... "The needs of the one, outweight the needs of the many..."

Like you said Philip... I guess we just have to agree to disagree. ;)

Man, I feel like a geek when I'm debating Kirk vs. Archer... :D

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Nelson Au wrote (post #10):

I believe the idea is that the Vulcans on the Selaya(?) were driven made because they were in an asteroid field that had heavy concentrations of radioactive Tre
llium-D in it, not just because they were in the Delphic Expanse or because of the anomalies.

Archer false ethics of the week: "I can't try to save humanity without holding onto to what makes me human." Nothing new.

T & A and video games, hey? Well, that'll keep 'em alive for seven years. (Yeah, right!)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Rex, you're getting cynical! "I can't try to save humanity without holding onto to what makes me human" is a tennant of some philosophies - you can't call it "false" though you may of course disgree with it. Some believe it is better to die while maintaining your ideals, then to live having compromised what you are.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I would think that once the Trellium D was applied to the hull, it wouldn't go airborne and T'Pol coudl safely move about the ship again. Couldn't they have put her in an environmentally controlled area until they finished protecting the ship?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Figured I'd ask here since his last post was in an Enterprise thread. Any idea where the usually-ubiquitous Jeff Kleist has been for over a month now? I just realized I hadn't seen the word "blasphemy" in a long time. ;) Hope everything's okay.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Jeff went bye-bye.

Another good episode, but any reference to zombies is totally wrong. What comes next, Jason and Freddy?

Going back to primative minds was done in SG-1 also. No big deal, but in that episode, they did attack as a team too, as some animals do IRL.

The asteroids were a blast :) but I hoped that they'd blast a clear path on their way in and out - just to see more crashing rocks!

And I'm for voting that Kirk would have done anything to keep Spock.

Glenn

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a so-so episode, one that you could fold laundry while watching it. It didn't flat-out suck, but it wasn't all that interesting and captivating to watch either.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Will_B wrote (post #26):

Bear in mind that this transpires only as part of T'Pol's nightmare, experienced while she's still recovering in sickbay. Like the Vulcan "zombie" attack in the Enterprise corridors, it isn't really happening. The nightmare evidently doesn't allow for exchanges with "nonessential personnel", people the experiencer doesn't know well. Dreams are the one part of the story that, by definition, doesn't have to follow "reality".

Also, I was wondering, in my usual fashion, whether a relatively small asteroid would really have enough gravitational pull to anchor a shuttle on it, especially given the surrounding turbulence---not to mention gravitational "pulls", if any, of approaching/passing similar-sized or larger masses.

And one final semantic nit to pick with T'Pol. She tells the marine, Hansen, that it is a "common misconception" that Vulcans don't have "emotions". Well, actually, what she---and Spock, too, half the time---means is that Vulcans do have feelings (an internal event), but suppress (don't show) them as emotions (external manifestation). Being in control of one's "emotions" is possible; being in control of one's "feelings" is not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks