What's new

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 09/10/'03: "The Xindi" (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sam and Nelson,

Nice recaps and thoughts on the episodes. I will respond to some of them tomorrow, when I've reread your posts. Keep 'em coming! :)

Last night, we decided to watch the three-part 'Augment' arc, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought Borderland was very good, Cold Station 12 a bit better, and The Augments a fitting end to a very interesting and (at times) very emotional conclusion. It was tough to stop in the middle of the arc, especially when Archer's life was in danger at the concluson of Cold Station 12. I saw a great deal more character development and salient interactions among some of the Augments that I had not seen as clearly before. The relationship between Malik and Persis was tenuous (especially given her prior relationship with Raakin). But I thought both characters were excellent in their roles, and even entertained thoughts that these two could easily have started an 'Augment' revolution on their own in a future spinoff somewhere down the road. Of course, that would have been a bit difficult after Persis is killed. But the chemistry between the two, and of that between she and Arik, was a highlight of the arc for me.

The affection Arik Soong had for Persis was more obvious this time, and helps to explain why he was as surprised as he was when she ultimately sided with Malik and the others during The Augments. One of the more telling moments for me came when she could scarcely look Soong in the eye when he uttered her name when asking if she was also in agreement with the Augments. It was ever so subtle, but very well done.

On another note: I will be picking up the DVD release of the new film either this Thursday or Friday. To celebrate today's DVD release, tonight we watched Space Seed, and then The Wrath of Khan (Director's Edition). (The Director's Edition is always a pleasure to watch, as the additional footage often times lends a nice bit of backstory to some of the segments.) I thought it would be fun and interesting to watch the first 'augments' after having seen the three-part arc from ENT. It was also a treat for me, a forty or so year veteran of TOS, to watch the episodes and listen for the texts and concepts introduced in both Space Seed and The Wrath of Khan that appear in the Augment arc of ENT. For example, Malik's discourse with Arik Soong regarding Khan's error; the "superior intellect breeds superior ambition" line (slightly altered in ENT); and Soong's presumption that the Botany Bay (mentioned by Malik) is not only unaccounted for, but is long gone. A smile came to my face as I realized that they (Soong and Malik) had no idea that Khan and his other 70+ 'supermen' were actually in cryogenic freeze, awaiting to be awoken at some point in the future.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw Zero Hour last night and while it ably wrapped up season 3, it didn't have a lot of revelation or surprises. Still, a very exciting hour of the show. Looking back on the 3rd season, it was well done, and well thought-out. I like how it put the crew on a long journey and brought them back, and we can see that they are more of a family now than they were (except perhaps for Reid, who always seemed distant, for reasons that are well explained at the end of season 4). I am still uncomfortable with the 9/11 analogies in the 3rd season, but I am glad to see so many of the crew came through the experience changed (from their "let's go get 'em" attitude). Finding common ground with your adversaries and working with them to achieve a mutually beneficial purpose is more in keeping with Roddenberry's premise.

Very much looking forward to the fourth season again. I should add that this is my wife's first time watching the show and she has enjoyed it tremendously. It's always fun to watch a show with someone seeing it for the first time.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sam,

I wonder if we ought to be posting in a Season Four thread from this point onward? I thought of it when I posted about Storm Front and the 'Augment' arc, but frankly could not find a thread. It may still be there, though, and I could have missed it.

Okay, this seems as good a place as any:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/253127/enterprise

I reposted the last couple of posts of mine in that thread, as it seemed more appropriate there now that I'm through with the Xindi arc.

We will be watching The Forge tonight, unless my wife surprises me early and has purchased XI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks