What's new

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 09/10/'03: "The Xindi" (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
It was silly. Thousands of pounds of cargo going back and forth while Archer and Tripp(?) stand there unaffected. No one's furniture in his cabin is affected (apparently); no reports of the phenomenon from elsewhere on the ship (?). Implausible + Incredible = Silly.
The gravity shift would only have to be slight for Archer and Tucker to be unaffected, standing where they are. You're trying to rationalize your argument by assuming you know how the gravity technology works on the ship in the first place. It certainly isn't generated the traditional way (by mass), or by rotation. Is it implausible that an anomaly has attached itself, or reacted with, the walls of the cargo bay, or disrupted somehow the Enterprise's internal "gravity generators" for that section?

But I agree, it is silly. But still more silly to nitpick one impossible thing based on other impossible things, which was my original point. ;) :D

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Nelson Au wrote (post #77):

Not only was he "for this", he was reportedly behind it. I think it has been alleged (or revealed, depending on one's point of view) that Mr. Roddenberry was sexually obsessed and did his very best to push the limits of then current "network standards and practices". The designs for women's clothing were sometimes made extra-provocative---show that navel!---just so the producers could compromise with the network and still jump contemporary boundaries of "decency". (Someone correct me. I believe I read some of this in pre-publication excerpts from Herbert F. Solow and Robert H. Justman's book, Inside Star Trek: The Real Story (1997), which, unfortunately, I've never had a chance to read in full.)

But, "homage to Roddenberry"? Surely, you jest.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The Dominion was not a "race" or "species". The Dominion was a concept, just like the Federation. The Dominion was founded by, of course, the Founders, a race a shape shifters. They found a not very evolved simian race on some planet somewhere and they genetically enhanced them. These became the Vorta. The Jem Hadar were genetically enginered to be the soldiers of the Dominion, and they believe (are genetically programed to believe) that the Founders are Gods.

The Xindi concept is completely different. Several species evolving on the same planet and reaching some kind of equilibrium, instead of only one enduring while the others go extinct.

I thought it was a decent episode, though I still long for the days of glory of DS9. I'll reserve judgement on the new season until I've seen more than one episode from this season (yeah, I know, CRAZY!).

Personally, I enjoyed the topless scene. Maybe that's because I enjoy sex with girls. But hey, to each their own! ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Wow, man. There was lots of fightin' and rayguns blastin' ever which way. Archer was whoopin' ass. T'Pol got nekkid. And lots and lots and lots of action. Weird-lookin' aliens (fishies, bugs, man). We was never treated to this kinda shit before, man. I was, like, wow, man. Cool. Fuckin' A, man. Wow.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
PhilipG wrote (post #81):

In a word, "yes". One specific section that the camera happens to be on at the time? No related activity elsewhere on the ship? Yes, highly implausible. As you (I believe) said yourself earlier, it's a contrivance; and, I might add, it's one that doesn't work too well for me. Is it possible? Yeah. Plausible, "no", I'd say.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This series is going to tank in its third season. The hell with it. And I'd like to get the sort of job security those pathetic jokers/executive producers have. Really, what a joke. Back to watching Sunday's repeat showings while I fold my laundry.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But those were a sign of the times
As any viewer of Hercules, Xena, Farscape, Firefly, Andromeda or Alias will tell you. :) All of those shows were/are fairly successful in part by selling eye candy. Of course, they've all got characters who aren't boring asexual placeholders with maybe one personality trait each, like B&B Trek characters tend to be.

BobV

Second Unit
In a word, "yes". One specific section that the camera happens to be on at the time? No related activity elsewhere on the ship? Yes, highly implausible. As you (I believe) said yourself earlier, it's a contrivance; and, I might add, it's one that doesn't work too well for me. Is it possible? Yeah. Plausible, "no", I'd say.
O come on... I'll use statement a friend of mine uses sometimes... Open your mind! (yes, you can go ahead and make the jokes and wry statements about that that I know are coming)

Who are you, or anyone, to say you/we know how things happen when they don't obey the known laws of physics? My goodess, maybe there's a spot on the ship that, when walked through, they turn purple, then back to normal if they continue walking. Who are you/we to say that an anomoly would not be localized on the ship somehow?! Trying to argue with it while grasping for an understanding of current laws and 'plausibilties'? Highly, highly erroneous if you ask me (which I know no one asked :p )

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I think it's the overt pandering aspect of including this sort of scene in Enterprise that sets off the "roll my eyes" response in my head. I've got nothing against love scenes if they advance the story and develop characters, but these scenes in Enterprise serve very little in either department.
Then the failure is in their, um, failure to use the sexuality to develop the characters, it's not that Trek fans have some phobia about seeing T'Pol's butt. I get it now. This makes sense. And I agree - to the extent that the sexuality would be so much better if it meant something for the characters. Perhaps they're trying to make it have a purpose, in this latest Trip and T'Pol scene... we'll see if it is used to reintroduce their relationship potential ...or not.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Farscape uses sexuality successsfuly but not as blantant as Enterprise.
Theres nothing wrong with these characters being sexy but why doesnt it have to be So in your face?

Don S

Stunt Coordinator
To all those shaking their heads about the shirtless T'Pol and Trip. uh... the whole Original Series was a vehicle for Shatner to sex it up with every alien he came across! They ran around half naked in that show all the time and now people are calling it cheap... what's changed? (note: rhetorical, I'm not interested in answers to that question, just to let ya know )
Absolutely! Come on, all this T'Pol skin bashing.. Talk about perpetuating a stereotype of Star Trek Fans!:D

The plot and pace of these shows, to me, is not affected by the occasional good view of T'Pol. If they are this lost for ideas, I guess there are worse things to look at :D

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
From the Warren Ellis rant:

Because the Enterprise crew aren't hard enough to take on terrorist aliens alone.
That about sums it up for me. The crew is just too whimpy to take on a threat such as this. Sure, Archer is angry, but he just stomps around like an angry kid. It certainly hurts Malcolm's character the worst, since he just ended up looking impotent in this episode. So much for turning these characters into something. :rolleyes

Jason

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Ok I watched it. It's not that it was overtly bad just so overtly eh. See DS9 took time to build up it's Dominion StoryLine. It layed the ground work in the first two seasons, having the Mystery About ODO and then to have him become directly involved in the race that threatens the Federation was masterful in giving us the viewer, a reason or a stake in caring about the characters. Enterprise has done none of this. I not invested enough in the main characters to care. Then the producers throw in the marines, more characters that I'm not invested in and don't really care about. The New Villians are interesting and hopefully they can flesh them out, but in the end I'm just not connecting with the situation, Are we supposed to appauled by what has happened to Trip's sister, another character we really have not met and therefore have no vested interest in.

And did any get the creepy Feeling that Phlox was "Pimping" T'Pol out?

OK Archer's Angry but why is he angry, is this just a knee Jerk reaction? And what is there mission? Once they find the Xindi then what? I Understand these characters are not the Utopians of the future Trek's but Have the characters do some soul searching. Let us feel what it's like to just have gone thru 5 Decades getting rid of Povery and Prejudice and then have them face this all again with the Xindi Threat. Have this Lead to something, Alliances that will form the Federation, take the story somewhere beyond the veiled 911 inclinations. Right now its still aimless Treking around the cosmos

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It's Star Trek by focus group, for chrissakes. The executive producers are simply pushing buttons at random now. When what the people who liked this thing only wanted stories and dialogue. This is a salad buried in badly made Thousand Island.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Yes, there was a hierarchy - but they all despised and distrusted one another. If it weren't for "the white", the Jem 'Hadar would have killed off the Vorta in record time.

---
Not quite true. It was established over and over again that the Jem'Hadar obeyed the Vorta's instructions because of their loyalty to the Founders and despite their hatred of the Vorta themselves.

So, yes, they were ketracel white-addicts, but they were also genetically bred to follow---much as one breeds obedient dogs---and taught to "believe" in the Founders as their gods.
---
True, but beside the point. My point, originally, was that the multi-species nemesis gives the show's creators an "out" if there is a negative reaction to the big bad. It would have been easy, as the DS9 narrative was unfolding, to off one of the species, if the fan reaction was poor.

I just get the feeling that the producers of Enterprise had a brainstorming meeting one day, and included every idea presented at the table. "Yeah, more Vulcan skin... yeah, more sexual tension... yeah, Space Marines is good..., yeah, insect is good... but so is a sea critter... but wait, we need actors working these parts to, so lets have a humanoid..."

They're throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

-Scott

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
The last 7 minutes was the worst for me. Just stupid pointless titilation. The stuff that came before had some holes you could drive a mack truck through but I've seen worse.

The most worrying thing is that they think they have made "big" changes but they are all cosmetic. They obviously have NFI why ratings are down and are clutching at the guns and nakedness straws.

Oh and the theme went from passable Rod Stewart to Country?! And like everyone has said it now completely doesn't match the visuals or the tone. That and it sucks because it's county.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Maybe T'Pol was covering herself because she knew that Trip would be very uncomfortable if she was swaying free in the breeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks