What's new

Star Trek DVD survey (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Useless. Doesn't launch in Firefox. Links to the capsule synopsis take forver to come up if they come up at all, and ultimately the thing crapped out after 4 of the 5 steps were complete.

Your experience may differ.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Worked for me in Firefox. No problems, I took the whole survey in just a few minutes.

Daniel, thanks for the link. I may post a story at TSoD about this, let me think about it.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Glad to be of help David. :emoji_thumbsup:

Just curious, what did you all fill in for the box set recommendation? I put in a box set of episodes where they played with minds of the characters, episodes like TNG's "Frame of Mind".

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I chose The Dominion War, choosing the best episodes from that long arc. All DS9, of course, but it would be a glorious set, as Worf might say.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
All I want is the Animated series, and then Paramount can keep these overpriced, bundled in gimmick packaging, half baked TV shows.

Can there such a thing as a "best of" voyager? I guess marketing wouldnt let a disc labled "The episodes that suck the least" out, would it?

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

They could theme the packaging like a Borg cube.

How about an all "Q" boxset, covering TNG, DS9, and Voyager? Granted, his one appearance on DS9 sucked, but I rather liked his relationship with Janeway on Voyager.

-Lyle J.P.

Darrel Lantz

Auditioning
Wow! My first post! Anyway I had a few ideas I shared.

1. I would love it if they released all of the two part episodes quarterly with two 2-part episodes on each DVD. The first one would be "Encounter at Farpoint" and "Best of Both Worlds" on one DVD, and I would buy it instantly! If they included the follow up episode "Family" as a free bonus, I'd be ecstatic! Then the next quarter we could get "Redemption" and "Times Arrow" on one DVD, and so on. By including four episodes on each DVD they would be increasing the chance of an episode bsing of interest, and it would make fans feel they are getting quite a lot of bang for the buck. I'm thinking price them at $14.99 or $19.99 a pop. At $14.99 I would probably buy them all!

2. I suggested a "Star Trek: Beginnings" set that would include all 6 pilots, including both the TOS pilots.

3. "Star Trek: Endings" set would include the final episode or episode arc in each series. It would hopefully not include the last TOS episode, " Turnabout Intruder," because of it's very poor quality.

4. The last three sets I suggested were Star Trek: Vulcans, Star Trek: Andorians, and Star Trek: Weirdest Aliens! - that would include the Horta of course!

Do any of these ideas sound good or bad to you folks?

Darrel

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^Darrel, to be completely accurate, "Encounter at Farpoint" is a TV movie, not a two part episode. It was cut to two episodes for syndication purposes but it was intended to be seen as a movie. All the other 2 parters (BoBW, Redemption, Time's Arrow, Unification, Chain of Command, Birthright, Descent and Gambit) are two part episodes. The finale, "All Good Things...", is also a TV movie.

And if an "Endings" set was to be put together, "Turnabout Intruder" would have to be on there regardless of its quality. Same thing with "Endgame" from Voyager.

Darrel Lantz

Auditioning
Yes, I would hope that Encounter and All Good Things would be the TV Movie versions, but the concept remains the same.

As for TurnAbout Intruder - oh, well! It is kind of the height of William Shatner's over the top acting!

Darrel

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I just want a freakin' price drop on the box sets!!!! :angry:

But I voted for the Borg first, then Q, then Klingons, then Time Travel.

I suggested a set called "captain's Table" five episode, one from eahc series highlighting that series' captain. It would spotlight each show's unique identity.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

That's what Paramount needs to do, lower prices. They might sell more.
I think it's a bad idea to do Best of. It's just another way for Paramount to get money.

Mark Lx

Second Unit

Seriously, who are they for? The Diehards will get the season sets, the casual viewer isn't going to pay Star Trek prices to watch a few episodes.

I bought the Original Series (BTW, according to Ebay, the true market price of these sets, new and sealed, is about $50 (season 3) to $75 (season 2), at which Paramount would still make a huge profit) . I've never seen any Trek after the Original and have no interest in them, but if they were to give me say 2 disks, 8 (truly best of) episodes, maybe. Not going to happen.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

I made 3 recommendations:

1) "Captain's Chair", similar to Jonathan_Clarke's "Captain's table" suggestion a few posts up. I thought of "table" as an alternate title, but considered that there are a series of Star Trek novels by the same title, and figured "Chair" was more appropriate for this.

2) "Space Battles", showing one episode from each series that is full of action amongst the stars, to draw in the folks who think Trek is too cerebral.

3) "Medical Miracles", featuring one ep from each series where the doc had to race against time to find the cure that would keep the crew, planet, or Federation from facing certain disaster.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Exactly. I've got season sets, what do I need "extracts" for? If I want to watch a particular episode, it isn't difficult to extract the correct disc and fire up the right one, unlike the bad days of VHS where you'd have to fast-forward or rewind etc.

The cynic in me says Paramount just wants to milk the "super-die-hards" a bit more, the absolutely anal completists who just must have every single release available in any form. No surprise since they're running out of things to release in 2006: TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voy are complete, Enterprise is now in the pipeline as is TAS, they've re-done as CEs the first 8 movies and have two more to go, all of which will run out by 2005 or early 2006. What new Star Trek product does Paramount have lined up for Q2 2006? Right now, nothing.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Haven't had time to do the survey, but the first few ideas that crossed my mind when I read this were:

1 - "The Red Shirt Diaries" - highlighting some of the best episodes in which a red-shirt bites it, or the most creative/bizarre red-shirt sacrifices. Might have some mass appeal outside the usual hardcore crowd, since even casual (and perhaps even non-) fans have heard the jokes about the red-shirts...the term itself has become a part of pop culture. ;)

2 - A set of the episodes (probably too small a pool to make a viable set, unfortunately) in which the main characters from one series popped up on another series. Like Spock's appearance in TNG's "Unification" 2-parter, and Scotty's appearance in TNG's "Relics", for example. Perhaps include things like Brent Spiner's arc in "Enterprise" if feasible (main actor from one show, on another show, but as something other than his/her original character), as a tangent or bonus...

3 - "He's Dead, Jim" - a set of the episodes in which McCoy utters this phrase. Much overlap with Set #1, above, and possible non-hardcore market appeal for the same reasons. :D

4 - A set highlighting some of the best holodeck-centric adventures.

5 - "I Am Not Spock" - highlighting some of the episodes in which Spock was, for whatever reason, NOT his usual self for a while...when Leonard Nimoy got to step out from behind the mask temporarily. (Amok Time, This Side Of Paradise, All Our Yesterdays, The Naked Time, Plato's Stepchildren, etc.)

Some ideas more serious than others, of course... :)

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I suggested an "Ethical Dilemmas" package.

Two episodes I came up with were "Symbiosis" and "In The Pale Moonlight."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks