What's new

Star Trek DS9 on Blu-Ray -- Remain Ever Hopeful Thread (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
[VIDEO] http://www.movieviral.com/2012/07/13/comic-con-2012-star-trek-the-next-generation-blu-ray-interview/ [/VIDEO]
Looks like the next logical step for the Star Trek series Blu-Ray from Paramount is DS9. Note: it is mentioned at nearly the end of the video(about 24 minutes in).
It was also mentioned at Comic Con that TNG season 2 should be out in Q4(December?) of this year, with the average of 2 seasons per year.
Good news.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This is perhaps the best news there is for me, personally, right now. Getting TNG all spiffied up is excellent. To get DS9 (followed by Voyager) in the same way would be a dream.

In a way, I think CBS would redo all the shows even if fans *didn't* want them. This is how they're going to keep 20 year old episodes (for DS9) viable to consumers. They pretty much went through every other way of packaging the sets on DVD: TOS on 2 episodes/disc, season sets for all the shows, fan collectives. There's nothing else for them to do...except remaster all the shows for high def.

My only concern would be their planned release schedule. It's going to take a while to get TNG done, followed by seven season of DS9 and another seven of Voyager (not to mention TAS and ENT). I would think at some point they're going to speed up the releases which will almost invariably cause the quality to plummet.

But I'm not going to worry about that now. I'm just going to enjoy TNG in little over a week.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I do think they'll do DS9, but it's a way off. If they stick to the same team and schedule, it will likely be near the end of 2015 before we see season 1. Late 2018 for season 7!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Just for the record, Enterprise is ready to go to Blu-ray. And I think Seasons 3 and 4 would look *fantastic* on BD!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Was Deep Space Nine shot on film? I thought that DS9 and VOY were on video?
If so I'm not sure what they can do.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Berggren said:
Was Deep Space Nine shot on film? I thought that DS9 and VOY were on video?
If so I'm not sure what they can do.
All 80s and 90s Trek series were shot on film, and edited on videotape.
TNG has to be re-edited from the original 35 mm film elements, and the effects either remastered or recreated in CGI to make the bluray HD version of the show that is coming out beginning at the end of the month.
The same thing would have to be done for DS9 and Voyager. However, DS9 (and probably Voyager) would pose a bigger challenge, since later episodes had no filmed model work like TNG did, and the effects were all created with CGI. So, Paramount will have to reanimate all the old DS9 war battles and such, since the original files are either lost or not of good enough quality for HD.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm impressed. I assumed it was video. I didn't think Paramount had the foresight to maintain them on film.
It'd be very spendy, but they could re-create the effects. They might not immediately recoup the investment, but I think they might in the long haul.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I hope it happens. I love DS9. The show is a stand alone show and did when TNG shut down. The last two season were great!! The show had great comic moments and great drama along side those episodes.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Berggren said:
I'm impressed. I assumed it was video. I didn't think Paramount had the foresight to maintain them on film.
It'd be very spendy, but they could re-create the effects. They might not immediately recoup the investment, but I think they might in the long haul.
If they want to assure DS9 and Voyager will continue to make them money in Syndication, the shows will have to get the TNG treatment eventually. People want HD, and once TNG HD hits syndication, DS9 and Voyager are going to look pitiful in comparison.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I remember thinking it would be too daunting a task to do TNG on BD, so I'll hold my tongue on DS9--except for saying this: I've heard several people tell me DS9 is not only their favorite Trek, but their favorite TV show, period. What others tell me is that most people "had" their Trek with TNG, that TNG was on when they were in college, etc., and that it is the only other "fundamental" Trek beyond TOS. Who knows. I was wrong with TNG, so let's hope I am wrong about thinking they'll be no S9 on BD, too.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ Here's the other part that goes through my head. If they've already redone TOS and TNG on BD...and ENT is "easy" to release...and TAS should be relatively simple...why would they leave DS9 and VOY out of the mix? It's like releasing Alien and Alien Resurrection but not Aliens and Alien 3. From a completist point of view (not to mention future syndication/streaming sales standpoint), it doesn't make any sense not to do the entire franchise.

It's also analagous to why Sony rebooted Spider-Man recently with another origin story. They know the people who were old enough to see the Raimi version or the comics get it, but new viewers need to constantly be brought in. With the new Trek movies, that's a perfect launching pad for a new generation of viewers.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
As many people who call DS9 their favorite show and the best Trek ever, there seems to be a much larger group that just "doesn't get DS9" or actively dislikes it. So it's a strange animal. What it has going for it is that it's Star Trek. And as long as much more of the fan base doesn't die off, Star Trek sells. My question is, will the young fresh Star Trek base kindled by the new movies be interested in DS9 on HD? My guess would be no. But that's just a guess. I just can't picture the excitement I'm seeing for HD TNG being as great for HD DS9. My personal bias? Maybe.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think it's going to be a little backward for DS9, in relation to getting people into the show. New viewers will hit the last 2 years of DS9-or watch Trials and Tribble-ations-and work toward the end of the show. They'll get involved with what's going on and want to see how it started, thereby going back to the earlier episodes.

At least that's how I'd see it.

There's also an issue with episodic vs. serialized shows. Trek had been (and would be) largely episodic. That wasn't really the norm at the time, with exceptions. Today, serialized is more popular and more entrenched in our media. Maybe that bias will go away in the next 10 years or so and open the series to new fans?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
There's also an issue with episodic vs. serialized shows.  Trek had been (and would be) largely episodic.  That wasn't really the norm at the time, with exceptions.  Today, serialized is more popular and more entrenched in our media.  Maybe that bias will go away in the next 10 years or so and open the series to new fans?
Yes. I love DS9 but it certainly is different than other Trek. The other Shows hit the "reset" button from episode to episode, but at the same time I really like the character growth on DS9. I'm a fan of both serialized, and episodic shows.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
DS9 headed for remastering!!!!!!!!!!!! The sales of TNG are good CBS from what Bill Hunt states will move ahead with DS9. What a day the 2012 Dark Shadows release and now this. http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/100212_0100

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
If I recall correctly this news was first reported at ComicCon--if TNG HD sold well, there might be a DS9 HD series. Nice to see the rumor hasn't died down.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Would love to see DS9 on blu-ray happen. It's the best of the Trek series and well deserving of the blu-ray treatment. Judging by the work that went into TNG season 1, DS9 would be just stunning, and would preserve what many people think is the best of the bunch for subsequent generations.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The one hitch with DS9 would be the part that would attract me most.. the space battles in Season 6/7, and the wormhole itself in HD.. but those battles.. DS9 to me was the only series that just raced to a great finish... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks