What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There is a Romulan Empire symbol under the tent on a a structure. It’s hard to see in that image. There’s a clearer shot at Trekmovie in an article that covers Easter eggs seen in the finale. Perhaps they are foreshadowing Khitomer.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson

What should we be seeing?
The logo of the Romulan Empire. It's not just in the tent, it's actually on the tent itself.

latest

Last edited:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The finale was a bit of a letdown because the solution seemed fuzzy. So, L'Rell blackmails the 24 houses with a Qo'nos self-destruct button into ceasing all hostilities with the Federation? Is there something else I'm missing? Part of me is kind of like, "I don't get it". It's the same fuzzy reasoning behind blaming Burnham with starting the war -- was it because she killed the Torchbearer? Because the mutiny didn't really affect the war since Georgiou recovered quickly enough to belay the Vulcan Hello Burnham had ordered. The mutiny is clear as day, but "Burnham started the war" was always hazy to me.

But even though the conclusion of the war felt rushed and the solution itself felt muddy, I have to say the epilouge with Burnham's speech to Starfleet and the awarding of the medals and promotions was a great capper to a brilliant premiere season. Burnham's expunged record and recomission were earned. She not only saved Starfleet by ending the hostilities, she also saved Starfleet's soul and saved it in the most Star Trek way possible -- by taking all the loose dangly bits (a captive L'Rell, Mirror Georgiou, and a world destroying bomb) and tying them together into a peaceable conclusion. Are you really going to get any better than having zero people die in the episode?

I love Tilly! She's been such great comic relief throughout the season, and I'm not sure if it's the actress or the writing, but somehow her comedic interludes do not make the tone of the scenes shift gears to accommodate. Like, when they stop to make jokes on The Orville, I can practically hear brakes screeching as the show stops short to pivot into joke mode. Tilly seamlessly steers the scene to comedy and then throws it back to her costars when she's done. It's marvelous. The scene where she shifts from nervous elation upon meeting the highly decorated Georgiou to awkward unease after learning she's the Mirror version was high comedy, and the feeble Terran salute was gold. Yet it didn't break up the scene at all.

One thing about eating the gormagander meat -- if they're endangered, shouldn't they be expensive and prized and prepared by royal chefs like they do with Mirror Kelpians instead of being sold from grimy tents?

"You were asleep. I'm Orion." Clint Howard. Perfect delivery.

"But that would only leave you with one". Anyone else think that too?

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The finale was a bit of a letdown because the solution seemed fuzzy. So, L'Rell blackmails the 24 houses with a Qo'nos self-destruct button into ceasing all hostilities with the Federation? Is there something else I'm missing? Part of me is kind of like, "I don't get it".

I think the threat by L'Rell to the other houses was rushed, and could have benefited from two things: 1) make it a series of bombs distributed throughout the volcanic network, and 2) have L'Rell actually detonate one of the bombs to demonstrate her will and power--I suggest detonating the one under House Duras' seat of power.

As it stands, we have to infer that something happened between L'Rell's threat and the Klingon ships leaving the Sol System. The show has earned enough good will from me to grant that inference. I just hope the hastened endings to all the storylines was a necessary solution to move the show definitively out of the "Fuller era."

Perhaps we'll see the implementation of L'Rell's leadership/unity in the coming seasons. We know that within 10 years, the Houses are united (see my previous post), but it's in a form of a surveillance state with checks on its citizens' privacy. That certainly feels like House Mo'Kai. Perhaps her unification is solidified in part by Romulan meddling.

We also know that over the next 10 years, and indeed up to Khitomer and through to Narendra III, the Klingons and Federation vacillate between hot and cold wars. I can see a storyline unfolding over the next few seasons showing houses moving in and out of line, and general discontent rising. Perhaps L'Rell is an eventual scapegoat for doing away with female leadership in the Empire, as we know from DS9 that a female can only rule her house in rare circumstances. Maybe she--and all Klingon females--are punished for allowing Romulan meddling. Perhaps that is why in 10 years time, we see that the Klingon populace, while still unified, is heavily monitored: Klingons have given up privacy in hopes of preventing foreign interference.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, the showrunners are being very cagey right now about whether Spock will even show up in Season 2. They say they're "not casting" for the role, which suggests that either he won't appear, or they've secretly gotten Quinto.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Burham says she started the war because she killed the Klingon on that probe in the pilot episode. And perhaps to add more insult, she killed TKuvna. I agree the mutiny thing seems thin given she didn’t get very far. But I guess attacking Georgiou was enough to slap her down. Which seemed odd since they both, Burnham and Georgiou worked together later and boarded the Klingon ship on a mission to capture T’Kuvna.

That’s an interesting theory that there is potential Romulan involvement in L’Rell’s coup. Perhaps part of Mirror Georgiou’s original plan. They certainly left a lot of visual clues in the finale for that in the Orion province on Qu’nos.

I think the producers cagey response about meeting Spock is a reasonable reaction, though they put themselves in that spot. I agree with them that Spock is iconic and would be very tough to cast. Plus they have to be absolutely true to the character. I think they shouldn’t involve Spock and we should not see him. Too risky. If they find a good way to do it, Quinto seems the best option. He’s had direct “coaching” from Nimoy.

Now that the season is over, i’ll Keep my All Access a little longer. I wanted to take a short break and then binge the series and see if I can see anything new. Though I doubt it.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Now that her rank has been reinstated, is Burnham the Discovery's new First Officer or is that still Saru? And if it's still Saru, what exactly is her role on the ship now?
She's the Science Officer -- Saru as acting captain is clearly still First Officer, and as acting captain when he returned to the bridge he told Tilly and Stamets they could "consult with Science Officer Burnham later".

Back in TOS it was also stated Spock served double-duty as both First Officer and Science Officer, so those are usually two separate roles, just that Spock took on both. As an aside, wasn't Saru the Science Officer on the Shen Zhou, when Burnham was XO? So it's an interesting turnaround.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
She's the Science Officer -- Saru as acting captain is clearly still First Officer, and as acting captain when he returned to the bridge he told Tilly and Stamets they could "consult with Science Officer Burnham later".

Back in TOS it was also stated Spock served double-duty as both First Officer and Science Officer, so those are usually two separate roles, just that Spock took on both.
We did actually see several other examples of this double-billeting in previous shows and movies, such as Major Kira pulling double-duty as station XO/Defiant bridge officer (and Worf as acting Defiant commander/station strategic ops-officer) on DS9, Miguel Ferrer as Excelsior XO/helmsman in Star Trek III, Janice Rand as Excelsior XO/comms-officer in Star Trek VI (at least according to the film's screenplay, and implied from VOY: "Flashback"), T'Pol serving as the Enterprise NX-01 XO/science officer, etc.

And it's pretty likely that one of Capt. Esteban's bridge officers in Star Trek III was also his XO, though the movie doesn't really make clear which one.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If Tilly is going off to officer's school, will we see less of her next season? I didn't care for the character at first, but the actress really grew into the role.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Also, the showrunners are being very cagey right now about whether Spock will even show up in Season 2. They say they're "not casting" for the role, which suggests that either he won't appear, or they've secretly gotten Quinto.

Or they will use the same kind of effects we saw in Rogue One or in DS9's Trials and Tribble-ations for very brief appearance.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
She was promoted from cadet to ensign on the command track. So she's be on the ship and not in some sort of officer's school.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
A lot of people seem to be making the assumption that S02E01 will pick up immediately after the ending scene of S01E15.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the episode picks up as the two ships part ways, having concluded their face-to-face off screen during the season hiatus, or maybe even later than that, with Discovery's arrival at (or departure from) Vulcan to pick up their new Captain.

I seriously doubt we'll be meeting any TOS characters (or, certainly not any of the ones who appear in the reboot films) on Discovery.

I think that final scene was just a "wink" to the fans and not necessarily any kind of set-up for a Season 2 arc.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
A lot of people seem to be making the assumption that S02E01 will pick up immediately after the ending scene of S01E15.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the episode picks up as the two ships part ways, having concluded their face-to-face off screen during the season hiatus, or maybe even later than that, with Discovery's arrival at (or departure from) Vulcan to pick up their new Captain.

I seriously doubt we'll be meeting any TOS characters (or, certainly not any of the ones who appear in the reboot films) on Discovery.

I think that final scene was just a "wink" to the fans and not necessarily any kind of set-up for a Season 2 arc.

You don’t put in a cliffhanger like this only to just skip any payoff the next season. That would piss off just about everybody.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
You don’t put in a cliffhanger like this only to just skip any payoff the next season. That would piss off just about everybody.
Based on the integrity of the show so far--that is, implicit promises made and promises actually kept--it's possible the Enterprise simply needs to borrow a proverbial cup of sugar from the Discovery, then she will be on her way, likely never to be seen again. I wouldn't put anything passed this show. If they can restore rank to a mutineer, then I can't trust any state of affairs these writers contrive. They've demonstrated they're okay with using a reset button. Frankly, I think they will do whatever they feel they need to do to get people to sign up for CBS Partial Access, whether it's fair to paying viewers or not.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Based on the integrity of the show so far--that is, implicit promises made and promises actually kept--it's possible the Enterprise simply needs to borrow a proverbial cup of sugar from the Discovery, then she will be on her way, likely never to be seen again. I wouldn't put anything passed this show. If they can restore rank to a mutineer, then I can't trust any state of affairs these writers contrive. They've demonstrated they're okay with using a reset button. Frankly, I think they will do whatever they feel they need to do to get people to sign up for CBS Partial Access, whether it's fair to paying viewers or not.

I don't see how your example of Burnham's mutiny supports the argument that they are not keeping promises. Trek has a long history of insubordination being treated with kid gloves (Kirk & co in ST 3/4 comes to mind) and while her mutiny was particularly egregious, my issue with it when it happened was that I figured they'd to the usual Trek thing and have it waived away in an episode or two. It was obvious that she would be redeemed at some point, but at least they made it a season-long arc.

The Enterprise showing up in the finale is purely a fan servicing cliffhanger and it would not be a good idea to not have any sort of payoff for those fans.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
it would not be a good idea to not have any sort of payoff.

There will no doubt be a payoff. But...there are payoffs (episode 15) and satisfying payoffs (not episode 15). You can't have a fundamentally unsatisfying payoff without breaking either explicit or implicit promises. It's impossible. And I haven't talked to anyone who thought episode 15 was a satisfying payoff. No one. That means promises were broken. That's how drama--and life--works.

Last edited:

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
There are payoffs (episode 15) and satisfying payoffs (not episode 15). You can't have a fundamentally unsatisfying payoff without breaking promises. I haven't talked to anyone who thought episode 15 was a satisfying payoff. No one. That means promises were broken. That's how drama--and life--works.

The resolution to the Klingon war was unsatisfying, I agree. TBH I think it was actually a fairly average Trek episode resolution (non-violence prevailing over violence), but my issue with it was more about the implausibility of L'Rell going along with and pulling off the plan.

But be that as it may given that she was instrumental in the ending the war and saving Earth, I don't have a problem with Burnham getting a pardon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks