What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Perhaps later in DISCOVERY, when we get to the critical starship fighting, Garth will make an appearance and become a legend right before our eyes. If that's the case, they properly left him off the list.
If they do, though, they'll be contradicting TOS, since "Whom Gods Destroy" establishes that Garth of Izar was a living legend even when he was attending Starfleet Academy, and whose exploits as a starship captain were already required reading at the Academy even back when Kirk was attending, which was several years prior to Discovery (circa 2251-54).

It could be, though, that they left him off that list on purpose, the better to set up an appearance down the road where he stomps the Klingons at Axanar -- as long as they don't say something like it's Garth's "very first victory" or anything similar, they can still remain consistent with TOS.

Was just reading some speculation on another site that perhaps this was just the first page of the list, and for whatever reason, the computer might've used too big a font for the rest of the names to show up on the screen without scrolling down, and that "Garth of Izar" was on the very next page. At any rate, I imagine that the producers are aware of the situation now if they weren't before, so we'll see what happens going forward, here.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It could be, though, that they left him off that list on purpose, the better to set up an appearance down the road where he stomps the Klingons at Axanar -- as long as they don't say something like it's Garth's "very first victory" or something, they can still remain consistent with TOS.
That's what I just said.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
"Canon" violations are nothing new in STAR TREK. Even if this IS one, it's just another in a long list.

They can always say that TOS third season writers got it wrong or that the prison planet was so far from Earth that the stardate was practically a temporal anomaly causing the distortion in the timeline of events.!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Kirk also goes on to mention (twice) that Garth's exploits were required reading at the Academy, which Kirk graduated from around 2254, so he's already well-established by the timeframe of Discovery. And "Whom Gods Destroy" treated the Antos IV genocide as a pretty recent event, in 2268. Garth was described as a new inmate, nobody knew about his powers until he took over the facility, and Kirk reacted to Garth's fall as if he still hadn't gotten used to the reality of it.

Come to think of it, Pike shouldn't even be on the list, either. As of 2256, according to canon, he shouldn't have been a captain long enough to have accumulated as many decorations as Archer surely did over the course of his long career, for example.

At least it would've been nice if the list hadn't consisted entirely of familiar names. There should've been a few names on the list that we didn't recognize, names to get fans (and writers) speculating about who they were and what they were renowned for.

Commendations take a while to get through the bureaucracy. So given the literal wording of Saru's request, "most decorated captains", Garth might be just off the list that was presented to him, as some of the exploits for which he would win commendations have taken place relatively recently, enough to get him cited in Starfleet curriculum, but the medal(s) haven't come yet?

Also agree that some unknown names should've been included. They could've left it hanging, or had the character show up later in the series.

As an aside, if Captain Georgiou was (till a few weeks/months ago in the timeline) still an active captain, relatively young and not quite pensionable yet, and already one of the most decorated ever -- why was she commanding an old ship? There was reference to the fact that the Shenzhou had really old transporters etc. Although I suppose she could have commanded it for the last 10-15 years and it got old(er) with her?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I really want to be like, "don't get too hung up on continuity", but if the creators are going to include Easter Eggs like that, they gotta back it up better. It's only an Easter Egg because of continuity. If you're going to talk the talk...

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
And that's where you didn't bother to fully read my criticism but jumped to a conclusion. I plainly stated I'd feel the same had it been a traditional male/female couple. OK... maybe I should have been more "PC" and said heterosexual, but it makes no difference. That scene played disingenuously no matter who you put there, a gay couple, *or* a straight couple.
It is commendable that Star Trek is going for their first gay relationship. However I cannot buy into it because Stamets is such a raging asshole that his story arc was squashed before I even found out about his relationship. I don't care about the character, so why should I care about his relationship?

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Everyone is unlikeable in this series. You (or at least I) care about no one in this series. I think it's a disaster of character development.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Everyone is unlikeable in this series. You (or at least I) care about no one in this series. I think it's a disaster of character development.

Yeah, another "first" in Star Trek. Majority of the characters-weird-o's, and assholes.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Burnham, Saru, Tilly, and the Doctor are all likable characters. Time and again, I am completely baffled by some of these opinions. Are you guys watching a different version of the show than I am? It is edited differently?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It seems as though the naysayers have taken over this thread, so I'll be leaving.
I guess they've plunked down their $7 or $10 and need to vent until their monthly subscription runs out. It will be interesting to see if they will continue to spend $7 or $10 so they can continue to complain about the show.

Full disclosure: I watched The Flash for most of the first season only to complain about every aspect of the show on HTF. Because it's egregiously terrible on a sci-fi level, as if they went out of their way to horrify me with stupidity and illogic. Since I couldn't stop watching without complaining and because I wasn't making any friends on HTF, I stopped watching. So I understand the unquenchable desire to shake someone's shoulders because they are not seeing what I'm seeing. But what you have to understand and what I finally understood was this: it's toxic. For you. For everyone. Complaining about an episode or an aspect of a show in one thing. To thoroughly hate something and write about it endlessly is... problematic.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I guess they've plunked down their $7 or $10 and need to vent until their monthly subscription runs out. It will be interesting to see if they will continue to spend $7 or $10 so they can continue to complain about the show.

Full disclosure: I watched The Flash for most of the first season only to complain about every aspect of the show on HTF. Because it's egregiously terrible on a sci-fi level, as if they went out of their way to horrify me with stupidity and illogic. Since I couldn't stop watching without complaining and because I wasn't making any friends on HTF, I stopped watching. So I understand the unquenchable desire to shake someone's shoulders because they are not seeing what I'm seeing. But what you have to understand and what I finally understood was this: it's toxic. For you. For everyone. Complaining about an episode or an aspect of a show in one thing. To thoroughly hate something and write about it endlessly is... problematic.

This is a discussion thread correct? If you don't like my posts, don't read them. You can also block me if you prefer.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It's not so much a discussion as it is you venting and complaining about everything. Everything. It's tiresome.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
C'mon, guys:

Let's steer clear of direct comments about each other and stay on the topic of Star Trek: Discovery (either positive or negative).

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I love that I get excited on a Friday knowing that on Sunday night I will get to see a brand new episode of Star Trek :)

I enjoyed Enterprise during its run when others were dropping it because they didn't like it (for a number of reasons) - only for many to re-watch the series later and have a better appreciation for it. I loved DS9 all the way through when many Trek fans found it too dark, or who dropped Voyager because it didn't deliver what the premise promised.

So, I don't know whether I love Star Trek shows regardless if its quality, or whether I'm able to see how good it is right from the get go :)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
All - to echo Mike above, keep it on topic and keep it respectful. I will be giving a couple of folks a brief holiday from this thread if that continues. Reasoned and thoughtful criticism is fine, but let's not descend into arguing with one another please.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Josh, sorry to read you discontinued your CBS All Access service. I have to think you might have some ISP issues and it's not entirely CBS's fault. If your other services are working better then it’s not the ISP. So something is up. Not that I'm defending CBS, I just have not had such a bad experience as you and Alan have. I've got a solid sharp image and sound has been fine on my Apple TV 3 and 4. ( of course I've never subscribed to any other services before to compare. ) I'm on the $5.99 plan so I just deal with the commercials, I tune them out, grab a snack or do something else.

Hope you get to see the rest of the season. Always interesting to read your impressions.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
As I've stated before, I've had zero problems with CBS All Access. I'm using a Roku Streaming Stick that I went out and bought specifically to get CBS All Access on the day of the premiere. It worked like a charm first time, every time - and opting for no commercials was the right choice for me - since this is the only streaming pay service I have other than Amazon Prime. The audio is just stereo, but my amplifier converts it through Dolby Pro-Logic to shunt the dialog to the center channel, and I only use three channels anyway. Explosions from behind the couch were fun when our room allowed for rear speakers, but the novelty wore off and here in Florida with open rooms, there just isn't a great way of doing surround unless I use ceiling speakers, which I loathe.

I apologize if my statement of leaving the thread because of negativity caused a stir. It wasn't my intention. It's just that getting a lot of updates to the thread in my email causes me to read all of that negativity and it was getting to me. I certainly respect that everyone is entitled to express their opinion in a thread like this, and it's up to me as the reader to filter out what I don't want to read. I also realize that negativity is somewhat pervasive in a subject with passionate followers like STAR TREK or STAR WARS. It's the nature of the beast.

A couple of thoughts on the recent discussions on both cursing and the gay inclusion in the series. I have mixed feelings about both of these issues. I could do without the cursing - but it also doesn't bother me all that much. I might feel different if I had young'uns around, but I don't, and I'm told that my views about language tend to be antiquated, so I guess I've adjusted on that matter to a degree.

As for the gay matter, it's also something I don't really care to have thrown in my face as much as it's become fashionable to do so. I've always had the attitude that what people do in private is their own business and none of mine. Now, that becomes a problem in storytelling where private moments need to be shown to advance the story, so if it's relevant to the story, I have no problem with a gay storyline. But if it's just gratuitous, like so many other intimate scene in a movie or TV show, I can do without it and don't feel it's necessary.

So far, I'm OK with everything in this iteration of STAR TREK - and like Neil above, I get rather excited as the weekend approaches knowing that there's a new STAR TREK just around the corner. It'll be tough in just a few weeks knowing that the show is going on hiatus till next year.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Star Trek hasn't been Star Trek since TOS. The closest any of the new stuff came to Trek as it was was The Wrath of Khan.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Really enjoyed this past Sunday's episode, I think Discovery is becoming my second favorite Trek series behind DS9.

I had no problem with the reveal of the gay couple, this was the proper way to do this in Trek, not the way it was shoehorned into Beyond. Beyond did it just so the production team could pat themselves on the back, it was just checking the PC check box (even Takei hated the change). The couple in Discovery feels more honest and sincere IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks