What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
YOU MEAN THIS THING IS ACTUALLY GOING TO HAPPEN!!!???

I had given up all hope!!

Yeah ... I wish they would just stay with the Enterprise-style Klingons (which at this point in the established continuity would be a mixture of TNG-style and TOS-(human-looking) style.) Perhaps the Klingons depicted here are "in-between"?

In any event, I'm certainly willing to give this show a shot. (Meaning at least the first four episodes.)

At least the "Star Trek" fanfare sounded *great* at the end.

Live Long and Prosper!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
No. I'm not watching it. IT might turn out to be a fine show, but that trailer might as well have been 2 minutes of blank screen. It didn't do anything for me.
I will however be delighted to read what those that are going to watch it have to say.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The "Klingon" photo-thing was debunked as bullcrap several weeks ago -- basically, the guy who took the photo had no idea what he was actually looking at on-set, and was wildly speculating.

Well, I think we need to give that guy a little more credit;)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That trailer didn't get me excited about characters or story, but after small screen "Star Trek" having basically the same look from TNG through Enterprise, it's nice to see this going for a drastically different cinematic look.

It does make me laugh, though, how Starfleet seems to change up the uniforms every few years. If this is really only a decade before the original series, you'd think the characters would be in the original series uniforms.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That trailer didn't get me excited about characters or story, but after small screen "Star Trek" having basically the same look from TNG through Enterprise, it's nice to see this going for a drastically different cinematic look.

It does make me laugh, though, how Starfleet seems to change up the uniforms every few years. If this is really only a decade before the original series, you'd think the characters would be in the original series uniforms.

They were.

thecage022.jpg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Because I'm sure they have to appeal to a new audience who wasn't born until the Phantom Menace was released. So they've likely never seen TOS. So uniforms and set designs have moved ahead in tech, so I can understand this. The uniforms you can say has a post NX-01 look.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Because I'm sure they have to appeal to a new audience who wasn't born until the Phantom Menace was released. So they've likely never seen TOS. So uniforms and set designs have moved ahead in tech, so I can understand this. The uniforms you can say has a post NX-01 look.

That audience likely won't be subscribing to All Access, whose major draw is 40-year-old sitcoms. And they already have big dumb explodey Trek in the theaters.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I see no reason why a new show set 10 years before TOS couldn't use those uniforms and have a set that looked like that bridge. More advanced tech now? "Just because we can do a thing does not mean we must do a thing."
My thought: They lied about the TOS thing and it IS the Kelvinverse. The visual style seems to fit the movies a lot closer and the tech of the Discovery seems to be far more advanced than the Cage-era Enterprise (which of course hasn't been built yet in the Kelvinverse and would also benefit greatly from the major leap forward in starship design and production caused by Nero's time traveling incident).

That said, trailer looks awful.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm seriously wondering if this doesn't move in a Voyager type way.. oh, happens before TOS, but you know, they get lost out in nowhere land and wander off and have their own off-book adventures.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Watched the teaser. It did nothing for me. Very generic, revealing nothing. It suggesting only a tired action show in Trek's clothing. Nothing there of the great sci-fi stories nor character comraderie I loved about Trek.

Nothing to suggest a reason for existing in a TV landscape that has shows like The Expanse and The Colony.

But like everyone else here, I'm a lifelong Trek fan and can only hope this was teaser was carefully constructed to give nothing away so as to not ruin any of the actual show..

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
What does a Klingon look like? The TOS version? The early TNG version? The late TNG/DS9 version? The ENT version? The STID version?

I'd take any of the above. Is it too much to ask for a bit of continuity from a series that fans have supported for 50 years?

And to be fair: the TOS version differed from the TMP/TNG version. That's pretty much it. Enterprise did it's best to reconcile those versions, with success IMO.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Apples and oranges. BSG was a reboot. This (allegedly) isn't.

I was referencing a now infamous thread from back when the BSG re-imaging was announced. The thread's author (Jeff Kleist) absolutely refused to acknowledge that the show could be good, but instead maintained that every preview or casting or still image was an affront to history and good taste. Worst of all, he acted as the de facto gatekeeper for the franchise: if you weren't *this much* of a BSG fan, then you weren't a "real fan," which, in turn, meant your comments (praise or otherwise) were meaningless.

The same thing has happened in the Trek threads, and, to a greater extent, in the Doctor Who thread. If you haven't watched the original series, you aren't a real Who fan. If you think the 11th Doctor is the best, but haven't seen the Fourth Doctor, then you aren't a real Who fan. If you like the new Daleks, then you aren't a real Who fan.

For what it's worth, Jeff Kleist slunk away from these forums after BSG became a critical hit and forum darling. Sadly that thread, I believe, has been lost in one of the forum refreshes, but the memory will live on in changing the frakkin' helmets.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I'd take any of the above. Is it too much to ask for a bit of continuity from a series that fans have supported for 50 years?

And to be fair: the TOS version differed from the TMP/TNG version. That's pretty much it. Enterprise did it's best to reconcile those versions, with success IMO.

I agree with your second point, Sam. ENT did it's best to jump through hoops to make sure the foreheads made sense in continuity. I would never fault what they did.

As for continuity: each series has reinvented something (or everything) from what came before. TNG gave us a new kind of Klingon, DS9 provided a different kind of storytelling and non-Starfleet regulars. VOY took us away from the usual trappings of the 24th century. And ENT provided a new Vulcan, new aliens, a new ship, etc. I really don't have an issue with anything in this trailer for one reason:

This won't be my Trek. My Trek is the 24th century shows (TNG and DS9). I can't hold this show to the standard of TNG, created by Gene, or DS9, created by people who knew and worked with Gene. Sure, Rod Roddenberry and Nicholas Meyer are on board, but I think they're the only ones who ever worked with Gene. But I'll watch this, give it props when needed and be critical as needed. I won't be saying "that's not a Klingon," though, or "tricorders don't do that." This is the new creative team's universe. I'll let them either succeed or fail on their own merits without the spectre of Picard, Sisko and Janeway hanging over them.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
"The Cage" (pictured above) was 13 years before Kirk's turn as captain. Roddenberry himself said the Enterprise was an old girl, a ship with a long history. (Admiral Morrow's comments in Star Trek III that she was "20 years old" flies in the face of canonical episodes; the refit itself was about a dozen or so years old).

So the uniforms are slightly odd, I'd say, particularly the emblems.

And we should be catching glimpses of Constitution-class starships. At this time, we should have all twelve in service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks