What's new

CBS All Access Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (5 Viewers)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Um, why?

As long as its renewed there isn't a reason to touch that topic.
Even if it isn't renewed, I still can't see a reason to touch that topic.
Not every mystery has to be solved.

Because...it's the "hero" starship of the entire show? If TNG had shown the Enterprise-D as having been mysteriously abandoned by its crew a thousand years in the future, I'd kinda think fans would probably be calling for some answers from the writers/producers.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised if the Discovery gets abandoned in the series finale. If it happens earlier than that, we're probably in for a NCC-1031-B.

Already it's locked them into some production design choices; they couldn't radically redesign the interior sets because the inside of the ship has to look pretty much the same in "Calypso" hundreds of years later.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Calypso, though released before season 2, was filmed after it - meaning they knew Discovery would be sent into the future. I suspect that they know what it all means and will build to it. But if it forever remains a charming one off with no further explanation, I’m okay with that too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There is another issue, the Discovery we see in Calypso is the original 23rd Century design of the ship. Discovery now has been restomodded into a 3188 AD design.

So maybe Calypso is in an alternate timeline?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There is another issue, the Discovery we see in Calypso is the original 23rd Century design of the ship. Discovery now has been restomodded into a 3188 AD design.

So maybe Calypso is in an alternate timeline?
You're right it is; I thought we only saw the interior of Discovery, but I just checked and when Craft is being tractored in, we do get an overhead view of Discovery and it's the copper-plated look with the original registry number.

Perhaps a holographic disguise to hide the future tech?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Or maybe they just hadn't planned the refit story yet when they made that short, and it's just an inconsistency... :rolleyes:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I rewatched "Calypso" a week or so ago. Was the actual time/date established for the events of that SHORT TREK? Or was it just a vague "I've been here a thousand years. The crew is gone and my captain ordered me to remain here."

If it's the vague thousand years, how do we know whether the ship has gone ANOTHER thousand years into the farther future - something that will occur at the end of the DISCOVERY series?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Finally caught up...I had a sinking feeling when Saru and Tilly were having their conversation. My least liked main cast captain picks the only person in the crew aside from Stamets and Burnham who has had a shred of character development in three seasons to be his acting first officer. Nevermind she has almost no qualifications for the role. Nope, not interested in that.

The rest of the ep just kinda fell flat for me. The saving grace is there was no Georgiou this week. She's easily my least favorite part of the show.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I assumed the detached nacelles relates to The Burn. Something like (and to be clear: this is pure theory and there is no on-screen explanation) the new warp core design somehow reduces the "risk" of detonation from a second Burn-like event by shifting the critical part of the warp reaction to the nacelles.

Also it looks neat.

I assume it relates to people who put things on the screen because they think it looks cool. Not that it makes any sense whatsoever (like the 4th dimensional space inside the Discovery seen in a couple episodes).

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Burnham goes through the same arc every freaking episode. Pondering > reflective > bold > defiant > broken, sad (tears come here) > humble > motivational (speech time) > victorious and saves the day. Worst written main Trek character ever. Maybe I just need to stop watching this show. I enjoyed Picard and Lower Decks but, as long as Burnham is running the plot, I don't think I will ever really enjoy Discovery.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Burnham goes through the same arc every freaking episode. Pondering > reflective > bold > defiant > broken, sad (tears come here) > humble > motivational (speech time) > victorious and saves the day. Worst written main Trek character ever. Maybe I just need to stop watching this show. I enjoyed Picard and Lower Decks but, as long as Burnham is running the plot, I don't think I will ever really enjoy Discovery.

I can't agree she is the worst written main Trek character.

I think the Captain's daughter in Lower Decks is equally as awfully written. "Hey lets go mouth off to an Admiral, just because I want to! That is what members of Starfleet do."

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck

I think you can enjoy it, if you watch expecting the quality to be subterranean at times. Its obvious we can get great moments, and really stupid moments as well. Fortunately the former outnumber the latter. Unfortunately the latter can really torpedo good momentum.

Hopefully the writing for Burnham can improve. I don't know, but I suspect STD has a team of writers. So the same people make the same stupid mistakes. In previous incarnations of Trek, they purchased scripts from writers who knew how to write, so you wouldn't see the same lame behavior from characters all the time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
i re-watched An Obol for Charon last night. I’d forgotten it was the episode where Reno first meets Stamets and Tilly and started the mutual dislike and respect between Stamets and Reno.

It was also a good refresher for the episode had the sphere data introduction and how Tilly gets sucked into the Mycelial network.

I was also thinking this episode showed how much Burnham expressed her love and respect for Saru while she tried to help him during his crisis. So when Burnham went on her rogue mission, I can really see how hurtful that was to him.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
How is her mother in this timeline? Season 2 she says that every future she was the last person alive and she kept having to go further and further back in time to try and save everyone but, she never made it to this future timeline where Discovery saved everyone. Seems like a big plot whole or am I missing something?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Her mother is in the timeline because she went back to the future at the end of her appearance in Season 2. When Discovery traveled to the future, it brought the sphere data with it, which prevented Control from getting it, which stopped Control from evolving to a point where it destroyed all life. Therefore, the future now exists, and Burnham’s mother is there.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
But, in season 2 they say you can’t survive the time portal without a suit, her mother didn’t have a suit. Also her mother was thrown back to a uninhabitable planet, according to the show, without said suit. She was also sucked back through before control was defeated so, she should have been thrown back to a future where everyone was still dead, not this current future. It’s just doesn’t make sense when you go back and watch/listen to the explanations given in season 2.

This video gets geeky but, raises some good points.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
I assume it relates to people who put things on the screen because they think it looks cool. Not that it makes any sense whatsoever (like the 4th dimensional space inside the Discovery seen in a couple episodes).

Well, we've seen ships (intentionally) break apart, and the disparate pieces flip around so that the ship is pointed in a new direction. It's not unreasonable to think this makes the ships more maneuverable. Since crew travel constantly between the saucer section and the engineering section, it would be strange to have those two disconnected pro forma, but the nacelles could be.

Now, it's perfectly reasonable that "it looks cool" is the primary motivating force for coming up with the idea, but they've at least come up with a rationale for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Proxa