What's new

CBS All Access Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

GlennC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
I’m sorry but this show is awful

I laughed when Saru made Tilly his acting no. 1. I wasn’t really surprised but considering the uselessness of the entire crew and their inability to any way or shape behave like Starfleet officers I suppose it makes sense. Perhaps Janeway should have promoted Neelix to be her number 1 but then he would have earned it more than Tilly did.

It was good seeing Leonard Nimoy but then because Michael Burnham has to be the center of everything we are told by the Vulcan ambassador that Spock must have got everything he learned from Michael.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I enjoy the show. Like it a lot but Burnham is the weakest part of it.

The writing for her is poor and all her acting is just crybaby eye acting and a slight head tilt.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It was good seeing Leonard Nimoy but then because Michael Burnham has to be the center of everything we are told by the Vulcan ambassador that Spock must have got everything he learned from Michael.
Nope. Watch the episode again. It was simply a quick, throwaway speculative line by the Vulcan president about how Burnham *may* have played a small role in influencing Spock during their formative years together, the way one sibling might another sibling. (In fact, the exact phrase is, "I wonder how much of the man Spock became was a result of who his sister was?")

Note the words, "I wonder," there. It was nothing more than that, a distant musing.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I didn’t understand this episode.

Tilley being promoted from Ensign to Number 1 made no sense except from a “conservation of characters” perspective.

Michael arguing with Vulcans in Logic Death Match using the art of Personal Psychotherapy with Emotional Outbursts made even less sense. From what we saw in S2, this would have instantly lost all respect from Vulcans. It felt like “conservation of screen time”: The writers needed Michael to say things about being lost, and only place was smashing it into arguing for data.

Both were dramatically interesting but broke the reality of this being real people, for me. It felt like why I stopped watching Doctor Who a few years ago, when it became all about emotional surges without supporting story or character reality.

Hopefully this is just an off episode.

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There were too many holes in this one for me to really enjoy it. Making Tilly first officer? Come on. There is no better way to kill morale on a ship (or in a company) than to promote the newest person.

Having Burnham's mother show up in the most convenient of places is too much. Having her be Quwat Milat (sp?) is a bit strange - this is a strict Romulan sect, and she's not Romulan, and she's been there how long?

The biggest problem I have is that these people who have travelled 930 years from the past are set to solve Starfleet's biggest mystery of the last 200 years. That would be like a team of time-travelers from the year 1090 showing up in 2020 and saying "Hey, why don't you let us solve the pandemic?"

The crew of Discovery should be almost irrelevant in such an advanced society. What's become of the data from the sphere? Is it being analyzed by Starfleet or is it still only on Discovery.

Lastly, I. Am. Tired. Of. All. The. Crying.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The crew of Discovery should be almost irrelevant in such an advanced society. What's become of the data from the sphere? Is it being analyzed by Starfleet or is it still only on Discovery.
The Discovery has the most advanced propulsion system in history. Advantage Discovery. The Federation has withdrawn into a shell and barely peeks out from it. Advantage Discovery. Discovery has brought something into the future that the Federation has lost, the desire to “seek out new life forms and new civilizations.”

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
I think a key point is that Tilly is “acting first officer” and hasn’t been permanently installed in the role yet - she’ll have to either earn it or assist in the search for someone to take it on a more permanent basis. On one hand, yes, it’s clearly a “writers writing” choice. Sort of like when C.J. went from White House press secretary to chief of staff in West Wing, which is not a move that would ever happen in real life but serves the TV purpose of having a role with an important script function filled by an existing cast member. But on the other hand, as the dinner scene the other week showed, most of the senior crew members on the ship are not in great shape right now and against all odds, Tilly is. If the position is meant to oversee the fitness and morale of the crew while being ready to lead them at a moment’s notice, at this exact moment Tilly is better suited to fill that void than other higher ranked crew members. And it also seems obvious that she was chosen in part because she didn’t hesitate to side with Saru when Burnham left on her unauthorized field trip.

I was not pleased with the decision to make Tilly Acting Number One. It seemed too much like giving the Fourth Billed Cast member more importance in the pecking order. Making her Science Officer would've made more sense. But then, what would they do with Michael? Still, making an ensign First Officer doesn't feel right. I get that Saru has made a connection with her, and respects her attitude about things, but at this point, she's shown no aptitude for command-level responsibilities. To me, it would've made more sense to elevate one of the other bridge crew: Nilsson (who seems to be given the con more often than anyone else there), Rhys, Bryce, or Owosekun (Detmer seems too connected to the driver's seat).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But as we saw with the dinner scene a couple episodes ago, the rest of the bridge crew is under severe strain from traveling to a future that hasn’t been what they expected, and aren’t fit at this exact moment for that kind of responsibility. Of all the officers on the command track, of which Tilly most certainly is, only she has demonstrated a level of self discipline, adherence to command structure and positive mental condition to handle that extra responsibility right now. The crew has shown on multiple occasions that despite whatever conflicts they have with each other, they will all work well with Tilly no matter what.

Tilly has wanted command since the very first time we were introduced to her. She’s earned the trust and loyalty of her peers. She’s demonstrated sound judgment in the face of unprecedented adversity. She’s thrived this season while her comrades have flailed about and struggled.

This isn’t like they made Linus captain (which incidentally would be a show I’d watch too.) They asked the most capable person available at this exact second to temporarily fill an open position and assist in the search for a permanent replacement.

Everything that’s needed for this to be believable in the context of the show has been laid out over the run of the show.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
But as we saw with the dinner scene a couple episodes ago, the rest of the bridge crew is under severe strain from traveling to a future that hasn’t been what they expected, and aren’t fit at this exact moment for that kind of responsibility.

In fairness, Bryce, Rhys, and Nilsson were all well-behaved (indeed they left as soon as the party started to go off the rails). My money was actually on Nilsson becoming first officer as a way to jump-start her screen time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That is exactly how I see how Tilly has been established Josh. The writers set this up. And I’m rewatching the second season now and Tilly has been determined to be in the commmand training program. Even though that spore was in her and temporarily sidetracked her. What I did not noticed was the spore was from the mirror universe.

I need to re-watch Unification III. There’s something I’m not 100% following when Burnham had her psycho analysis with her mom during the quorum. I wanted to re-see that arc as I wanted to be sure I understood how Burnham finally felt she was at home. Because I have to wonder at some point, will she ever regain trust with Saru and Vance and maybe get the Number One slot back. Or does she even want it. She seemed settled at the end of the episode and Discovery was her home.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, Tilly was ‘captain’ of the yrevocsiD for about 10 minutes, so there’s that
But Mirror Tilly had murdered her way up the ladder.

From a character standpoint, I understand the choice: She is the one person on the command track who consistently gives Saru her honest opinion, and Saru trusts her judgment.

But it would have played better along the lines of Geordi La Forge's career track: over the course of TNG, he was promoted from Lieutenant Junior Grade to full Lieutenant to Lieutenant Commander. If we had seen Tilly get promoted from Ensign to Lieutenant Junior Grade to full Lieutenant prior to this episode, I don't think it would have raised any eyebrows.

I think part of the problem is that there was so much behind-the-scenes turmoil in the writers' room; it makes it a lot more difficult to execute a long-range plan.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They made a point in the episode of calling the assignment “acting first officer” - I’m not going to treat it as permanent or question why there wasn’t a more longtime training plan until they get rid of the “acting”. Someone has to fill the post until Saru can identify and promote a qualified person to hold the position officially. Of everyone onboard right now, Tilly is an understandable choice.

Museum Pieces

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Skylar
Don’t worry, by the end of the season Burnham will be Number One. :)
They forgave her for the worst sin of all--mutiny--and re-instated her, so I don't know why they wouldn't forgive her for directly and willfully disobeying the command of a superior officer. Oh wait...yes I do...we have REAL writers now. ;-)

One can only hope.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
^ Also, the starship's new female AI is the same one we saw aboard the abandoned Discovery (played by the same voice-actress, Annabelle Wallis) in the Short Treks episode "Calypso." So it looks like we're finally going to get some answers regarding how that episode connects with the current situation in this new season, and perhaps as to why the crew abandoned ship like they did.

Um, why?

As long as its renewed there isn't a reason to touch that topic.
Even if it isn't renewed, I still can't see a reason to touch that topic.
Not every mystery has to be solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerkyboyz2jerkymen