What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
A few random off the cuff thoughts after I rewatched part 2 of Such Sweet Sorrow.

There was a ton happening so a second viewing helped clarify and or helped me see things I missed the first time. The unexploded torpedo that lodges onto the Enterprise saucer section was in the briefing room. I had not noticed that. The large round windows in the front of the saucer show the location. The scale of the torpedo and location were off as the explosion took out a large section of the saucer. The briefing room is a lot smaller then the section missing in the saucer. So if Pike was behind the blast door, he’d be dead too because that whole area is gone. But this is often the way with movies. So I’m not loosing sleep over it.

Michael and Spock said that she has to go back in time to start the process of getting the red signals to appear. At that point in the battle, she was supposed to do that. It made more sense to me now as I never went for those chicken and the egg kind of loops. So she had to revisit all the places we saw during the season. The first stop was Terralysium. Burnham’s mother moved the humans there and Michael and Discovery’s crew found they later become a thriving world.

Burnham says that by sending the Discovery 950 years ahead, the plan is they could go to Terralysium. If I heard that right, then that’s a possible move the ship makes in the third season.

Again, I asked if they said in part one that the time crystals charge was only good for one jump into the future, how come the crystal was able to make all those jumps into the past? And still have enough juice to make the last jump 950 years ahead into the future? Maybe Burnham picked up a Mr. Fusion energy reactor from Doc Brown while on Terralysium?

What I’m still sorting out is that Burnham’s mother said in the future where Control AI wipes out all sentient life, Terralysium is a dead world. So she makes it her home base while she tried to reset the timeline. So now that Control AI is defeated, Terralysium and the rest of the galaxy should continue and is thriving.

So I’m conjecturing that Season Three will see the Discovery go to Terralysium. Maybe Michael will find her mom there. If Stamets survived, they could repair and use the Spore Drive to get back to Earth. If Starfleet is still around, they join the fleet and resume the exploration of space. Would Georgiou then re-join Section 31? Maybe she gets the Red Angel suit to work for her and comes back to the 23rd Century?

This likely means we won’t see any of the 23rd Century anymore. No Tyler, L’Rell, Pike or Spock.

I thought this was a neat and clean way to reset the series in the future and wipe out the first season’s setting. But I have been rethinking what I posted in the earlier post I made. Does this really undo Bryan Fuller’s intentions for the series?

I reviewed articles on Trekmovie during the time the series was in preproduction to remind myself of what Fuller said at the time. Fuller states he wants to do Star Trek like a novel, as a series of chapters. Each season is a chapter. He also wanted to change timelines during the run of the series, starting before Kirk’s time, up to and beyond Picard’s timeline. The series would not be an anthology and have regular characters. He also said he would not rule out seeing familiar characters. He is a fan of Star Trek 6 and sees the TOS episode Balance of Terror as a touchstone. It’s his favorite episode.

I actually watched Balance of Terror tonight as a companion episode to Such Sweet Sorrow as they are war episodes.

My take is Fuller’s view of Discovery is the war between the Federation and the Klingons is the Romulan War. He uses the Klingons instead of the Romulans to avoid canon issues as humans have never seen a Romulan before Kirk’s time.

Since Fuller’s departure, it seems a lot of what Fuller intended remained. The new show runners probably had little choice as so much was already developed by the time Fuller was ousted and Moonves wasn’t able to change anything either. So we got to see some familiar characters, Sarek and Amanda first. The first season did feel like a chapter with new characters Michael Burnham on track to become a starship captain serving with Captain Georgiou. And what a wild chapter as Burnham starts a Klingon War that leads to a court martial for her. But she is pulled out of jail to help Captain Lorca on the Discovery to end the war but ends up in the Mirror Universe. Season 2 started with another chapter as Michael is now a full Starfleet Officer again. And Captain Pike and Mr. Spock returns as we just saw a new chapter about the Red Angel. This ends with the Discovery moving to the future and it’s known existence is cleansed from the official books.

Season 3 will be another chapter with a new storyline. The series did start before Kirk’s time, we did see familiar characters and now we’ve moved ahead beyond Picard’s 24th Century. The writers are certainly free of the past and probably past any of Bryan Fuller’s input. The writers were able to do what Fuller intended and also use it as a way to move past it.

One other thing the producers said during the show’s development was to push boundaries and have a progressive message of hope and optimism for the future. The progressive stuff I felt wasn’t that progressive. What I was looking for in a real Star Trek series is the optimism and hope. I think all that was buried in the action and conflicts.

This series has been very dark. I think they wanted it to be that. But Star Trek isn’t always grave. I wanted to see humanity grow still and learn more about itself. I wanted to see mankind be humbled by aliens who show them what they could be. So this third season may be the way they can return to exploration and learning along with the fantastic.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This is making the rounds on Twitter, and it's especially nice for those of us hoping for series set on Pike's Enterprise.

D42tbAhW4AA_Dzg.jpg

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My wife and I just started watching season 2 on CBS All Access, and we were extremely disappointed that the show is only in stereo, not 5.1.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My wife and I just started watching season 2 on CBS All Access, and we were extremely disappointed that the show is only in stereo, not 5.1.

It's definitely a 5.1 show, as I watched all episodes this season in that format. Last night I rewatched the second episode in the season and that played as 5.1.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
To me, the best part of two seasons of Disco is the final 10 minutes of the last episode. I would be perfectly happy if Disco just ended and was replaced by a revamped Star Trek with Pike, Spock, and Number One. I still stand by my assertion that without the saving graces of Pike, Spock, and Number One, ST disco is a dumpster fire.

Discovery suffered from too much bad everything, from writing to story telling to character development. Perhaps if they killed off Michael, Hugh, Tilley, and Saru and went with bottled episodes instead of dragging out a story for the entire season, they would have a cast of crew members who were not astoundingly annoying and were actually interesting. As it stands, I’ve already cancelled my CBS sub again.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
It's definitely a 5.1 show, as I watched all episodes this season in that format. Last night I rewatched the second episode in the season and that played as 5.1.

It aired here in Canada on Space in 5.1 as well. The bit rate for my channel is tad lower than I would like, and the space battle didn't play nice with the compression algorithm used. Even still, the episode looked and sounded great. I'm looking forward to an eventual re-watch on blu-ray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I rewatched the first two episodes of the show the past couple nights because a) I miss it already and b) I was curious to see how the early episodes played now that I'm armed with the knowledge of how the season ends.

I'm even more impressed coming from that rewatch because it was really a phenomenally entertaining, well constructed story.

The only thing that stood out to me as a loose end or narratively sloppy moment was the explanation of why the Enterprise was disabled. In the first episode of the season, I believe it's Stamets who comments that he has a friend onboard the Enterprise and that for a ship of that capability to be knocked out, it would really take something extraordinary to cripple it. I thought that they were leaving that open for it to be tied into the eventual main plot, but it seems like it was mentioned once and then dropped. I had thought we'd get something where either Michael or her mother intentionally disabled Enterprise to force Pike to come to Discovery, which would then force the Michael-Spock reunion which was ultimately necessary for everyone to accomplish their goals. I wonder if that's something that the writers had considered as well but just ran out of time to portray.

Because I think it would have been just as easy to say, "We need our best ship and our best captain for the mission at hand, and while Pike is Starfleet's best captain, Enterprise isn't the best ship right now." But they went out of their way to make Enterprise being disabled a plot point, and never resolved the cause of that disability.

But if that's the only hole I'm finding, that's pretty good.

Otherwise, every other promise the season premiere makes is honored by season's end.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

I went through that too. The solution, if you're an Amazon Prime customer, is to cancel the CBS All Access service as a standalone, and sign up for CBS All Access as a channel through Amazon Prime. Then you'll get the full 5.1 sound.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The actor who is Spock needs to grow his beard back.
The guy looks a little off as a Spock.
Not the right face type.

I hope this doesn’t come across weong but his nose is too small.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I went through that too. The solution, if you're an Amazon Prime customer, is to cancel the CBS All Access service as a standalone, and sign up for CBS All Access as a channel through Amazon Prime. Then you'll get the full 5.1 sound.

Interesting.
I wonder why the app would only have stereo but the Amazon version has 5.1

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Interesting.
I wonder why the app would only have stereo but the Amazon version has 5.1

The app itself totally sucks and provides different levels of quality depending on what device you have. It seems the Apple TV 4K is one of the few devices that the app plays nicely with.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
Act 4 of "Such Sweet Sorrow Part II" was entirely Enterprise-centric. Discovery went into the wormhole at the end of Act III.

Starfleet Command is not the Enterprise. And the entire scene at Starfleet Command was dealing with... wait for it... DISCOVERY.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Starfleet Command is not the Enterprise. And the entire scene at Starfleet Command was dealing with... wait for it... DISCOVERY.

Is this the convo we're gonna have now?

Fact: The last time we see Discovery or any of her regular crew is at the end of Act III.
Fact: The entirety of Act IV deals with the Enterprise and her regular crew.
Fact: While Act IV talks about Discovery, they are not seen.

The entire last act is Enterprise-focused even if the Enterprise crew are talking about Discovery.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
OK, I usually catch these late, because me and the GF don't get around to it immediately.
I thought it was pretty satisfying end to S2 between the two episodes. I think the majority of loose ends were tied up. I did remember Ash going off, saying "Trust me" so that explained the Klingon presence. I am now remembering the Saru, scene from pt I so I guess that explains his species showing up. That still leaved me wondering where they got the hardware and the skills.

Another poorly thought of effects scene with the interior of Discovery and the turbo lift shafts.

A great responsibility scene with Pike trying to deal with the torpedo and (possibly) try gaming fate that was shot down by the Admiral. After the torpedo went off and they showed the damage I said "That will buff out".

I though it was an interesting choice to have the testimony about the fate of Discovery. That seems to point to Discovery not returning, there would be possible issues with their testimony otherwise. OTOH they could just say "we thought it was destroyed ... but..."

The closing scenes with Enterprise were well scripted and executed. It was the perfect ending. Pike and Spock back on NCC-1701 where they belong. In theory, I think we still have plenty of years before TOS Pike and the accident. When I saw the Menagerie I got the impression it was a recent accident, otherwise Kirk would have been up on the details. An event like that happening to a well respected Starfleet officer would make the rounds. So while they did not renew Anson Mount, the could bring him back for a two parter or what not, assuming we get Discovery and its grew back to the past.

Which leaves Discovery. This could be a perfect time to kill the series if they wanted. That would obviously not be the case.

Also, you need Giorgiou back to that era to be in the Section 31 show, presumably.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks