1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by David S. Peterson, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    (Fellow Canadian here) Space hasn't got a single recording time right this season. I've complained multiple times to no avail. Not only have all episodes had incorrect lengths, since episode 8 (or maybe 7) they have all been flagged as either repeats or not new (i.e. neither flagged as new or repeat)--the end result being if your PVR is set up to record all new episodes or even all episodes including repeats it will actually record nothing. Even worse, they have been changing the show information minutes before the recording starts, so even if you manually set your PVR to record a channel and time block, it could still get messed up.

It reached the point that now I or my spouse has to literally watch the PVR about 15 minutes before record time to ensure it's recording. We set PVR to record the channel starting 15 minutes before the "scheduled" time, and end a full hour (!) after the scheduled end time.

2. Message #2582 of 2737 Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    There was way more time there than I expected. When Leland died and all of his drone ships stopped I was thinking ok, so maybe they actually don't have to jump, but it's too late to stop it now, how ironically tragic.

But then they dragged it out to the point that I was wondering if the wormhole might actually collapse before the ship finally made it through.

3. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Agreed. Will be watching next season with great interest. This assumes there will minimal behind the scenes changes during the hiatus.

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    After all the talk about how good the season finale was, I renewed my CBS sub and binged the final eleven episodes. The only part of it that remotely hit the mark for me was all done on the Enterprise. The final scene of the episode brought a big smile to my face and my eyes watered a little because it felt like we were finally coming home.

I also would rather season 3 (and all seasons going forward) be about the Enterprise and her crew than the Discovery and a bunch of characters I could care less about.

5. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    In addition the phasers being blue, I also liked how they were sustained and not the "pew pew" variety. The battle sequence seemed slightly less chaotic because of it.

I also liked seeing the DOT7s in action. They are straight from the Okuda Technical Manual!

DOT7. technical manual.

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    You missed the best part!

7. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I’d like to “join the chorus” here.
    Just finished binging the last 4 eps and felt like this was *terrific* Trek with plenty of 50 year old Easter Eggs to delight the older fans while moving forward with updated effects and sets to engage the younger set.
    That space battle was beyond question the best done on any Trek TV series. And it was sprinkled with plenty of human pathos.
    The last 10 minutes were terrific. And I’m now ready for the “Star Trek: Phase Zero” spinoff series!

Live Long and Prosper!

Josh Dial likes this.
  8. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    Well, finally!!! Discovery is where it should have been all along. Such a shame this season had to "repair" the first season mistakes. It was a testament to this group of writer's abilities that they were able do so and craft a very watchable second season.

I'm with everyone else, we should see another series (limted or otherwise) of Capt. Pike, Spock and Number One. Great characters should be able to be seen by their loyal audience. :D

Carabimero likes this.
  9. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    Which Enterprise episodes, I’m drawing a blank?

10. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Wouldn't it just be easier to watch it live?

11. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Fell free to skip this — it is not that interesting, or of course a tragedy, just an explanation.
    Here goes:

For some reason, Thursday is our busiest day for TV. Our PVR can record 2 shows while we watch another recording. What happens is, at exactly 9:00 two other shows start taping (one is the Orville) and if Discovery goes over the last part does not get recorded. You also can’t continue watching live, but can only watch one of the shows that are being recorded, or another recording. All TV watching is only available through the cable box.

“Discovery” also runs at 1:00 a.m., so I set the PVR to tape it then as well. This has worked perfectly all season. This time it did not, because the show started 1/2 hour later than the listing. Even though I had added 1/2 hour to the recording, it missed the last 10 or so minutes. It also runs on Saturday, but not this week, I guess because of special Easter showings.

We ended up watching most of the episode on the 65” tv and the rest on my wife’s iPad.

12. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Here's the thing: the substance, for me, happened all season long. And one of the knocks on the "Such Sweet Sorrow part I" was all of the talking and goodbyes and character moments. The show serviced those relationships all season long in various ways, even taking Pike and the Enterprise out of it. Spock was a driver for the first part of the year, but didn't show up until halfway through the season.

If you go back to Part I's comments, I did mention Discovery had too many people on it for a volunteer mission of this nature. It was a nitpick at the time and, while I'll stand by the comment, I'm not going to focus on that one thing.

Saru's sister Siranna...no one every said she was a warrior. It was stated in the episode she received a message about Saru needing help and promised her brother would never fight alone again. One can assume that after "The Sound of Thunder" she stared learning new things and wouldn't take no for an answer. Would piloting be the first thing on her list? I don't know, but I see no reason why it's implausible.

The beard and the uniform were both visual cues that Spock was 100% back. He needed to figure out his place in the universe and so on. I don't mind it took that long. If it had happened in the span of one episode, THAT would have been a problem.

joshEH and Josh Steinberg like this.
  13. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I'll have more to follow, but I just wanna throw out quickly that I'm entirely satisfied with how the season played out and how everything was resolved.

14. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    The story thread this season was only what was necessary to do a minimal reboot of the series to erase the mistake of making it a prequel, none of it went anywhere and the treat was so anti climatic, if you take away pike, Spock, and the Enterprise you are left with very little. Not sure how interested I am with retreading voyager next season, and I don’t trust these Gilmore girl writers to be able to create a 32nd century universe

Philip Verdieck and johnnybear like this.
  15. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    I was happy to see that Michelle Yeoh's fighting skills continue to be used to great effect. The wire-fu/Inception combat was really cool.

Also: split-screen! Triple split-screen!

joshEH and Neil Middlemiss like this.
  16. John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John
    I was happy there was less Klingon involvement this season but at times , Especially with the Spock/Burnham Dynamic, I was unimpressed overall. Also, Ive never liked the Section 31 Angle not in DS9 or any place else .

17. AcesHighStudios

AcesHighStudios Stunt Coordinator

Mike Williams
    Although the rails of the Enterprise under Captain Pike were black. Perhaps they painted them while the ship was undergoing repairs.

18. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Agree to disagree, obviously. It does seem kinda odd to discount Season 3 without knowing anything about it yet, though.

19. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Except for the first episode, which my family didn't like that much, we haven't watched the second season. But to me the fact that Discovery has now retconned itself out of existence says a lot.

Philip Verdieck and Carabimero like this.
  20. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Finally caught up with the finale, which I enjoyed. Few things bothered me though: 1) I do not care for the direction of Olatunde Osunsanmi; he follows JJ Abrams too much - way too much camera movement and lens flares. I can't appreciate the story (let alone the craft) if I can't see what's happening. There were a few times in the huge battle that my wife said "I don't understand what's happening." That's not good filmmaking.
    2) I can live with the writing out of Discovery from the history of the series, but a few things were inconsistent with the characters: Spock, for one, doesn't lie; Pike, for another, wouldn't either.
    3) Ending the show and the season with the entire last act of the episode about the crew of the Enterprise made it seem like it was a show about the Enterprise! I'd love to watch that show, but this isn't it. It should have ended with Discovery.
    That said, I loved that everyone on the show played a vital role in the action. It was a satisfying conclusion to the season. I hope we get to see Pike's Enterprise again.